RM30C as center channel -- on TV?

ctviggen

« on: 24 Feb 2004, 05:34 pm »
What do people think of the RM30C as a center channel if placed on top of a TV?  To me, it just seems weird that the tweeter is off to the right (or left, depending on placement), but would this be noticeable?  The LRC seems to be better, but the RM30C seems as if it would create a "wall of sound" that might interface with RM40s a bit more seemlessly.  Any thoughts?

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2004, 05:37 pm »
I don't think anyone has received the RM30's yet.

I have one on order that I will be using in this horizontal manner.

I will post when it arrives.

From my tests with a 626 (fst) in a horizontal fashion, there shouldn't be a problem.  In fact I think the RM30 will match the 40's very well.

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2004, 08:24 pm »
Thanks, I'll be interested to hear your comments.  I won't even be moving into my "new" house until after the beginning of March, so I won't be looking for speakers until then (though I hope to hear the RM40s relatively soon).

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2004, 10:19 pm »
Better be a sturdy damn TV! :o  :lol:

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2004, 10:49 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Better be a sturdy damn TV! :o  :lol:

Rob, I have a 71" Toshiba RPTV.  The guys who delivered it slid it down my carpeted basement stairs on it's side, then stood it up on it's top, then flipped it over.  I wish I hadn't seen that!  Anyway I asked them how sturdy the TV was and they told me how well braced it was.

I have had a marble nOrh 9.0 (70-80LBs) on it for the last 3 years with no bowing.  A long spread out speaker should be NO problem for it.

RickRichardson

Three is better than one
« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2004, 10:58 pm »
I have tried a single 626R as a center speaker, and a pair of them, horizontally head to head on top of a 65" Mitsubishi RPTV.  The pair sounded substantially better than the single to me.  Richer midrange and more intelligible dialog.  Based on this I have ordered an RM-30C to use as a center channel.  

Even though this will not be a completely symmetrical center speaker, I think the advantages of the improved midrange clarity will outweigh any downside.  It should also blend better with RM-30 or 40 front speakers.  

As for a problem with the weight, two 626R's have a combined weight of around 90 lbs, which, when spread over their side surface areas, did not seem to be any problem at all.  The RM-30C should weigh about 110 lbs, but will have a larger side surface area, since it is deeper by about 6".  I am planning on using 1/2" grey foam under the whole speaker to cushion it, and additional smaller pieces  across the back to have it angle down slightly aimed at the primary listening position.  

The real test will have to await the arrival of the speakers.  Stay tuned.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2004, 02:44 am »
Yeah, back when I had a big box tv, I put my fairly-heavy center on it with no problems.  Just razzin' him a bit.  Marbles, you really ought to ditch the box for a projector...

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2004, 02:50 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Yeah, back when I had a big box tv, I put my fairly-heavy center on it with no problems.  Just razzin' him a bit.  Marbles, you really ought to ditch the box for a projector...

I know, but........it takes money and I have no where else to put this monster....One day I will have an FPTV.

Right now it seems that they are like computers....getting twice as good every 18 months at half the cost.

I will have to wait a year or two anyway, but it is on the list of things to get before I die  :wink: