Anybody have any opinions of AKG 501/601 to share?

jrebman

Anybody have any opinions of AKG 501/601 to share?
« on: 15 Aug 2010, 07:49 pm »
Just curious as this particular model will work nicely with my new headphone amp, which is also supposed to give them better bass response than they are typically known for.

Thanks,

Jim

tjohnusa

Re: Anybody have any opinions of AKG 501/601 to share?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2010, 05:01 am »
What is the amp and what is your source? Also what type of music do you listen to?

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2010, 12:48 am »
I guess you need to answer the previous questions, so we can help.

jrebman

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2010, 01:03 am »
Sorry, for some reason I didn't get notified of the previous reply.

Anyway, amps are either bottlehead upgraded s.e.x amp or bottlehead Crack withlots of upgrades -- caps, CCSs, wire, tubes, etc.  Music is all over the place but Jazz, classical, acoustic and world making up the  bulk of it.  Classical ranges from small ensemble early through baroque, some large scale orchestral to modern and post-modern.

I like an even, detailed, but non-fatiguing, and somewhat warmish sound (which is something I can always tailor with tube rolling and cabling) and I prefer an articulate bass to super deep, and the mids and highs have to be really clean.  comfortable fit and soundstaging are also fairly important.  Source will be a computer-fed Tranquility or HRT MusicStreamer II Plus.

Again. sorry for not replying sooner but I never got the notification of the first reply to the OP.

Thanks,

Jim