Prime 53 Diffusor build

Big Red Machine

Prime 53 Diffusor build
« on: 15 Aug 2010, 12:33 pm »
A little misleading as the stack-up of the panels pushed the size out to 57" due to paint and tolerance stack-up.

I used 1" pink foam, OSB, and plain pine slabs with knots (because I was using black paint for the pine).  Something this big would be outrageously heavy and expensive if made from wood.  I did consider facing each black with a veneer piece but the inconsistent stacking of the foam would have made this messy in appearance.

QRDude software was used to find the prime and its associated block heights. 

I primed and painted the sheets of foam before cutting to make it easier to touch up later without having to handle each piece and paint each one and set each one to dry all over the garage.  In hindsight this would have worked better as the high humidity kept the paint sticky and the individual pieces stuck to each other throughout the process.  I don't mean wet paint, but just stickiness that caused a bunch of touch-up as the parts were assembled.  I also worried that trying to cover up all the "pink" would be difficult after it was assembled.

Priming wasn't necessary as the latex gray covered well.  So there's a shortcut.

« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2010, 01:58 pm by Big Red Machine »

Big Red Machine

Re: Prime 53 build
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2010, 12:37 pm »
I cut the pieces in batches and labeled each end at the lower edge where paint wasn't required inside my frame.  Since the pieces repeat or mirror each other you will have 4 pieces of each block number.  Set the table saw guide and rip 4 pieces.  Best to do this outside.

Big Red Machine

Re: Prime 53 build
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2010, 12:42 pm »
Since foam is not giving any support I needed a framework to hold it together that was substantial enough to be rigid and shallow enough to stay out of the way.  I did consider, and can still add, a speaker grill frame to the whole thing to cover it all up.

Simple OSB sheets, 1 by pine, a dadoed slot for added rigidity, a little swearing trying to manage the large pieces, and frames were made up.

I stepped the frames so I could hide 2" thick 703 behind the OSB and slotted the sides and bottoms to open that up.  I kept the tops solid as they make nice shelves.  There is a 1.25" space at the wall before the 2" 703.  The slots are about 1" so you can't see the 703 through the slots.

Rob S.

Re: Prime 53 Diffusor build
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2010, 05:39 pm »
Very ambitious project!!  Very cool.  Looks like it'll turn out great.  Did you get a picture of the front yet?

Will you paint the front panels or cover them with some acoustically transparent fabric?

Rob S.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2010, 06:13 pm »
Diffusion is better if not covered with cloth.  Even very transparent fabric can impact their performance.

Nice project Pete.

Bryan

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2010, 01:38 am »
Full on photo of each.

I need to clean up the room this week after I rebuild the rack before I take some complete room photos.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2010, 07:43 pm »
Not to derail the thread . I once saw someplace someone using shutters as some type of diffusion . How would they work ?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2010, 07:47 pm »
Not to derail the thread . I once saw someplace someone using shutters as some type of diffusion . How would they work ?

I am guessing not very well...

George

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2010, 08:42 pm »
Yeah - not very well.  Those will simply bounce high frequencies evenly either all up or all down and do nothing to scatter or anything in the time domain.

Bryan

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2010, 09:21 pm »
Using the foam seems very clever. Are there no issues around performance due to the lower density?  Would think it wouldn't be reflective enough to function except at higher frequency... unless there is a coating or something?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2010, 09:55 pm »
I wouldn't consider them porous, plus they are painted.  Certainly different characteristics than solid wood.

Using the foam seems very clever. Are there no issues around performance due to the lower density?  Would think it wouldn't be reflective enough to function except at higher frequency... unless there is a coating or something?