PMC FB1+ speakers

HsvHeelFan

Re: PMC FB1+ speakers
« Reply #20 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:33 am »
Can anyone post a comparison of the PMC F B1+ versus the PB1i or the EB1i's?

PB1i's cover 24hz - 25khz
EB1i's cover 19hz- 25khz

I suspect my money would be better spent on a Bryston pre-amp and sticking with my KEF - Velodyne setup.

HsvHeelFan

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #21 on: 14 Aug 2010, 03:03 am »
I agree, go for the Bryston.

1oldguy

« Reply #22 on: 14 Aug 2010, 03:11 am »
I agree, go for the Bryston.

Plus 1 :thumb:

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #23 on: 16 Aug 2010, 03:29 am »
The FB1i's are rated 28hz-25khz.

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
« Reply #24 on: 16 Aug 2010, 03:31 am »

Darrenmcc

« Reply #25 on: 16 Aug 2010, 03:33 am »
So I decided to trade-in my Gallo's for the PMC FB1+'s, it was a very difficult decision but after some serious listening and comparing the 2, I just couldn't ignore the synergy of PMC's with the rest of my gear. The PMC's just seemed better suited for my musical tastes and gave me more than the Gallo's. They won't be in my system long though as I ordered a pair of FB1i's which are supposed to be a big improvement over the FB1+'s.

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
« Reply #26 on: 16 Aug 2010, 04:44 pm »
Hey Darren,

The FB1i are a vast improvement...  People like to think that companies just throw on new badges and a new price tag and calling it an upgrade, but really it is so much more that (with the PMC i-series anyway). New proprietary tweeter, new bass drivers (doped stiffer), new crossover (to compliment the tweeter), new cabinet material, new cabinet construction process (more rigidity, combined with the tougher LF drivers making for more accurate bass), new finish (glossier), and new badges :wink:.

Levi

« Reply #27 on: 16 Aug 2010, 05:21 pm »
+1

Agreed!

vegasdave

« Reply #28 on: 16 Aug 2010, 09:44 pm »
So I decided to trade-in my Gallo's for the PMC FB1+'s, it was a very difficult decision but after some serious listening and comparing the 2, I just couldn't ignore the synergy of PMC's with the rest of my gear. The PMC's just seemed better suited for my musical tastes and gave me more than the Gallo's. They won't be in my system long though as I ordered a pair of FB1i's which are supposed to be a big improvement over the FB1+'s.

Congrats.

qscott

« Reply #29 on: 23 Aug 2010, 01:17 pm »
Hey Darrenmcc,

Congrats on the purchase of the FB1+ and if I read right the upgrade to the i series?

I started out with a pair of the FB1+ then picked up a pair of TB2+ (for the surround sound setup) before moving up to the PB1i. I was driving them all with a Cambridge Audio 640R until my Brytson gear turned up, 4B SSTSq, BP26, BDA-1, BCD-1. Wow what a combo!

They all work so well together you could say a marriage made in heaven. Well I think so anyway  :D

You might be interest in a good review for the FB1+ that I found http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue25/pmc_fb1.htm

The bass from the FB1+ is lovely, tight, controlled with a very clean roll off. A very easy listening speak the sort of speak you can listen to all day long, not harsh in anyway. The Bryston gear transforms the speakers again. I have to say that going 3 way in the PB1i has been the best step up in terms of sound quality in mid range and vocals area. Everything is so much more cleanly defined.

Just to comment on the bass from the PB1i, they are a huge step up from the FB1/OB1's, I wanted more in the bottom end but thought the EB1’s would be to big for my room. There was none in the country at the time but I was very comfortable with the sound signature of the PMC range so felt pretty confident buying them deaf. (I guess you could say) So I bit the bullet and order the first pair of PB1i in Australia. So glad I did

The PB1i can whack you in the chest with the bass, I’ve had them cranked up with the 4B just starting to clip and there was some serious pressure waves in the room I can tell you. Mind you that was only for a very short time and I was amazing how clear and undistorted the music was.  PMC love lots of clean power, they’ll happily run all day at very high levels, but your ears won't!

Now the Bryston gear is in place, all I have to do it enjoy them. I find myself more and more being lost in the music with the speakers and gear disappearing. What a joy.

If you ever get a chance have a listen to the PMC MB2's which are beasts!

I’m sure you’ll be enjoying them for many years to come.

Cheers,

Q

vegasdave

« Reply #30 on: 25 Aug 2010, 08:28 am »
Lower the prices and I might be interested.

Levi

« Reply #31 on: 25 Aug 2010, 02:48 pm »
There is a demo pair of PMC OB1i in Agon for $8K.  Go for it!

Lower the prices and I might be interested.

vegasdave

« Reply #32 on: 26 Aug 2010, 12:11 am »
Cool. I don't have the cash right now. But, thank you very much.  :D

Levi

« Reply #33 on: 26 Aug 2010, 04:20 am »
;)

vegasdave