monoblocks?

Rclark

monoblocks?
« on: 3 Aug 2010, 06:32 am »
I really hate taking this forum all OT with my posts but even though I'm a beginner I've lurked around enough forums to sense where it's at, info wise. So please take my self serving questions as a compliment to the collective knowledge base that spends time here.

Emotiva has yet to confirm my UPA-2 as even anywhere close to shipping. They're saying some time in August.

I'm thinking of cancelling my order and going this route:

http://classdaudio.com/index.php/

a couple nice monoblock kits from this site. It's the subject of a massive 87 page thread here at the circle. Of which I am on page two. As of ten minutes ago I wasn't aware you could "diy" monoblock amps.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.20

And where would something like that rank against a Virtue Sensation? Let's say I'm running my newly built Dodd buffer into these amps.

Edit: nevermind, I just got to this page:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.140

where Mr. Dodd himself endorses his buffer with the amp, and says he likes the amps. That and I've seen users I recognize endorsing these amps. That and I like that you can upgrade the parts in them, done, I'm calling Emotiva in the morning. Feel free to remove this thread if you want.
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2010, 09:56 am by Rclark »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: monoblocks?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2010, 11:28 am »
I know where you can get really nice cases for those Class D amp.   :D

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=3189

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2010, 02:57 pm »
I happen to know for a fact that those amps sound really good.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2010, 03:55 pm »
They are excellent amps. In particular the Super D series. Even the 60 watter would drive most of Danny's stuff with ease, but just get the standard 125 watter which is only a few dollars more, the SDS254.

I'm building mine, hopefully this weekend but waiting on the shipment. I also strongly endorse Jason (jtwrace's) cases. Completely milled and drilled, you just need the I/O parts, fuse and switch. In fact, Jason has a pair of 300 watt Clayton monoblocks and he was shocked that this amp was about 80% as good as his Clayton monoblocks.

Best,
Anand.

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2010, 04:00 pm »
I am using a ClassD 120 watt (60 watt into 8 ohms) fed from my DIY Dodd Buffer on my V-1s, they sound great!

Best,
Ed

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2010, 07:51 pm »
Oh Boy!

I just checked Emotiva's site (I preordered the UPA-2 at sale price a month ago) and see that it's now available  :o . I'm checking my email as I'm dialing their number and it says it's shipping today! But I managed to get them on the line and stop the whole process. That was a close one.

I just cancelled a $269 shipped deal to try this Class D amp instead. Lost out on a sale price but I think I've made the right decision. I won't get any resale value with the kit amps but I won't have spent much either.

Which one do you think I would want? So I'll be running Dodd buffer and my speakers apparently like a lot of power and are 4ohm.

So I think I need this one but not sure:

http://classdaudio.com/index.php/sds-254.html

Is that their best model? And it's a stereo amp, not a monoblock (unless you go 8ohm), but I notice nobody seems to care! I was under the impression you wanted monoblocks, but everyone seems to be raving about this thing in stereo, in its own case.

Oh thanks Anand, yes, I guess that's the amp I want.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2010, 08:01 pm »
What are your speaker specs?

Probably the SDS-254 kit will do just fine but speaker specs to be sure....

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2010, 08:17 pm »
4ohm about 200 watts is what I need apparently for headroom. Oh and thanks guys  :green:

mcallister

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2010, 10:56 pm »
hmmm, there website seems hard for me to find some info I'm looking for. I've been wanting to get wyred 4 sound SX1000 monoblocks for my three LS9's for some time to go with my STP-SE pre. However these look pretty intriguing. What I'm having trouble finding is which amp is for me. the LS9's being 8ohms I'd like to run 500 watts to each of them. Which amp would I need without bridging? Do they even have one? Is the 600 version 600 into 4 ohms? Sorry if I'm missing something.

HT cOz

« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2010, 12:20 am »
hmmm, there website seems hard for me to find some info I'm looking for. I've been wanting to get wyred 4 sound SX1000 monoblocks for my three LS9's for some time to go with my STP-SE pre. However these look pretty intriguing. What I'm having trouble finding is which amp is for me. the LS9's being 8ohms I'd like to run 500 watts to each of them. Which amp would I need without bridging? Do they even have one? Is the 600 version 600 into 4 ohms? Sorry if I'm missing something.

I believe this kit http://classdaudio.com/index.php/class-d-amplifier-kits/home-kits/sds-245-x-2-kit-1000w-8-ohm.html can be run bridged for 1000 watts per channel into 8 ohms.  Otherwise you have to settle for 250 watts per channel...  :thumb:

http://classdaudio.com/documents/70V_Manual.pdf

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2010, 12:28 am »
4ohm about 200 watts is what I need apparently for headroom. Oh and thanks guys  :green:

If you provide specs, we can make a much more technical decision...or just give the manufacturer and model. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2010, 12:31 am »

Why do you think you need to run 500w to them?  I really don't think that is needed.  Go with the Super D and be done.

SDS-254 kit
Specifications:
· Output: 250 X 2 - 4 Ohm, 125 X 2 - 8 Ohm
· Bridged Output: 500W X 1 - Bridged 8 Ohm (Full Bridge)
· THD+N, 1W - 1KHz: Better than .02%
· Dynamic Range: 101 db
· Efficiency: Over 90%
· Required Power Supply: +/- 40 Volts DC to +/- 50 Volts DC

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2010, 12:35 am »
I'd contact Gary Dodd and ask him about all of that.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2010, 12:38 am »
I'd contact Gary Dodd and ask him about all of that.

:duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #14 on: 4 Aug 2010, 01:02 am »
Why do you think you need to run 500w to them?  I really don't think that is needed.  Go with the Super D and be done.

SDS-254 kit
Specifications:

I'm seriously considering building one of those.

That is after I finish what I've already started. :wink:

Rclark

« Reply #15 on: 4 Aug 2010, 08:15 am »
What are your speaker specs?

Probably the SDS-254 kit will do just fine but speaker specs to be sure....

pm sent.

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 4 Aug 2010, 08:48 am »
I'm seriously considering building one of those.

That is after I finish what I've already started. :wink:

What's that?!

mcallister

« Reply #17 on: 4 Aug 2010, 09:57 am »
To be honest I don't think that but I wouldn't mind the headroom. :green:

SDS-254 kit
Specifications:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #18 on: 4 Aug 2010, 01:12 pm »

What's that?!

It's going to be a pair of 40 watt tube amps.  Originally made by Dynaco back in the 60's.  The Mk-IV is now being recreated by Dynakitparts.com.  I use a circuit upgrade designed by Joe "Dynaco Doctor" Curcio. 

Sexy aren't they?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 4 Aug 2010, 01:14 pm »
Sexy aren't they?

Yes they are!  Dyna Kit parts is great!