The LFP-V Editions are here!!!

adamaley

Re: The LFP-V Editions are here!!!
« Reply #40 on: 7 Aug 2010, 05:57 pm »
Thanks for the quick response, Viinnie. I guess patience is the key.
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2010, 04:21 am by adamaley »

wilsynet

« Reply #41 on: 7 Aug 2010, 09:17 pm »
It is quite substantial - you'll notice and love it right away.  For $500 for the Isabella, it is a no-brainer!

Vinnie, would you describe what's different for the Isabella?  Is it substantially better in clarity, transparency, high frequency extension, transient response, dynamics, drive, etc?

For example, I would be surprised if clarity/transparency were better because I would think that the old SLA battery was already providing clean DC power.  Regarding dynamics, would the improvement of internal resistance really make a difference in dynamics considering that the preamp already operates at such low voltages?

I'm not very technical with respect to these things, but I'd love to understand a bit better regarding the theory behind the improvement and what that translates into more concretely.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #42 on: 8 Aug 2010, 04:15 pm »
Vinnie, would you describe what's different for the Isabella?  Is it substantially better in clarity, transparency, high frequency extension, transient response, dynamics, drive, etc?

Hi wilsynet,

Another great question (glad to see all these good questions in this thread - which was what I was hoping for when I started it  :wink:):

With our new LiFePO4 pack, the Isabella definitely gains more "life" to the sound - so greater dynamics and transients, more open sounding, and I also noticed better defined bass.  It's PRaT is improved.

Regarding dynamics, would the improvement of internal resistance really make a difference in dynamics considering that the preamp already operates at such low voltages?

Yes - it sure does!  Along with the lower impedance of the new battery pack, the new SMART board also offers lower resistance and the power path is shorter and cleaner (we are no longer connecting two SLA batteries in series at the two sides of the unit - and now there is only one LiFePO4 pack). 

There is also total isolation of the battery charger (both the charger's negative AND positive leads are internally disconnected via the new SMART board) when running in pure battery mode.

After trying numerous brands of SLA batteries, I used to believe that as long as they were good quality, they pretty much sounded the same.  When I migrated to my LiFePO4 pack, my opinion of what is really "premium battery sound" changed very quickly upon listening and comparing to SLA.

LiFePO4 is much more expensive, but well worth it for numerous reasons...

Thanks for your post!

Vinnie

David C.

« Reply #43 on: 8 Aug 2010, 05:48 pm »
Good question, and yes, I have tested both.  The Isabellina LFP-V Edition dac feeding the Isabella LFP-V Edition preamp does sound the best and offers the following advantages:

- Even more ability to fine tune the sound via tube rolling for each unit, and via interconnects.
- Separate LiFePO4 battery per unit -> better isolation

Hi Vinnie,

So would it improve the sound further by having two separate dacs in a kind of dual-mono configuration? By this I mean:
- connect the digital output of the transport to the inputs of two dacs
- connect the left channel output of one dac to the left channel input of the preamp
- connect the right channel output of the other dac to the right channel input of the preamp

David

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #44 on: 8 Aug 2010, 07:20 pm »
Hi David,

Kinda like "monoblock dacs"  :)

Never tried it - but I suppose this could offer some form of incremental improvement, if you have a source that outputs two spdif outputs that still maintain 75-ohm output impedance when both are loaded by each dac  :wink:

Vinnie

low.pfile

« Reply #45 on: 8 Aug 2010, 08:24 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

So would it improve the sound further by having two separate dacs in a kind of dual-mono configuration? By this I mean:
- connect the digital output of the transport to the inputs of two dacs
- connect the left channel output of one dac to the left channel input of the preamp
- connect the right channel output of the other dac to the right channel input of the preamp

David

Sounds complicated and possibly impossible. I am curious what source can provide two streams of the same type of digital output simultaneously?

Since the digital source is providing both left and right signals to each DAC, each DAC is processing  both channels, so not really isolating Left and Right--both channels are using power. the only difference is that the connection to preamp is mono.

Dual monos are always cool though.

David C.

« Reply #46 on: 8 Aug 2010, 09:53 pm »
Never tried it - but I suppose this could offer some form of incremental improvement, if you have a source that outputs two spdif outputs that still maintain 75-ohm output impedance when both are loaded by each dac

Sounds complicated and possibly impossible. I am curious what source can provide two streams of the same type of digital output simultaneously?

Another approach that comes to my naive mind is splitting the digital signal that comes out of the source into left and right channels and feeding one to each of the dacs. Is this possible?

David

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #47 on: 8 Aug 2010, 10:59 pm »
Hi Guys,

low.pfile make a good point with regards to the S/PDIF format - it transmits L and R data.  Separation is possible - anything is possible (but it would not be standard S/PDIF format anymore). 

Interesting concept, but I think it would be better to start a new thread to discuss this topic (perhaps in "General Audio" or "The Lab"), as it is migrating away from LFP-V Edition discussion.

Thanks for your understanding,

Vinnie

kitten

« Reply #48 on: 9 Aug 2010, 04:09 am »
Hi Vinnie, just a few more questions regarding the Isabella LFP power supply upgrade if you don't mind:

Do the sonic benefits you mention apply (as much) for headphone listening?

What is the approximate playing time off the grid (as long or longer than the SLAs?)

Finally, does playing on AC power for extended periods reduce the life of the LiFePO4 battery (as is the case with the SLAs)?

many thanks

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #49 on: 9 Aug 2010, 11:21 am »
Hi Kitten,

Do the sonic benefits you mention apply (as much) for headphone listening?

Yes, absolutely!  The sonic benefits apply equally for using the Isabella as a preamp and as a headphone amp (for those who have the headphone amp option), as well as for the built-in Isabellina dac!

This weekend I just finished an LFP-V Edition conversion of a fully-loaded Isabella for a customer who primarily uses his Isabella as a headphone amp.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/437559/isabellina-hpa-owner-s-thread-and-impressions/300#post_6836596 (scroll up to post # 307).

He just emailed me that he'll be posting detailed impressions soon:

Quote from: decur
hi vinnie,it is amazing!  this is a huge upgrade! I find the Isabella more resolving,quieter,and dynamic!
I plan on doing a review some time next week,I'm really looking forward to it.
Hope you had a great aniversary!
I'll talk to you soon!

I'll post links to his impression (which will probably be on headfi) sometime in the next week or so...

What is the approximate playing time off the grid (as long or longer than the SLAs?)

For an Isabella with with built-in Isabellina dac, it is 6 hours on pure LiFePO4 battery power.  For an Isabella w/o built-in Isabellina dac, it is 8 hours.

You can run in AC mode with no time limit - so you if you want to burn in some tubes, headphones, and other equipment in your system for a week continuously, that is fine and our custom LiFePO4 battery pack is designed for this!  :dance:

Our updated Isabella LFP-V Edition Owner's Manual describes all of this in detail...

All the best,

Vinnie

OrJazzM

« Reply #50 on: 10 Aug 2010, 06:48 pm »
Hey Vinnie,

Gotta question for ya, with the new tube stage in the 30.2 will there be a window on top for easy tube rolling/replacement?  If this has already been asked then sorry for the redundant question.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #51 on: 11 Aug 2010, 11:30 am »
Hey Vinnie,

Gotta question for ya, with the new tube stage in the 30.2 will there be a window on top for easy tube rolling/replacement?  If this has already been asked then sorry for the redundant question.

Hi OrJazzM,

The only product that has the sliding glass window on top is the Isabella preamp.

For all the other LPF-V Edition products, they have the standard top cover.  You will need to remove the screws from the sides to slide back and remove the top cover to tube roll.  IF you find that you are tube rolling often, I would just leave the top cover on w/o the screws so it is easy to open the unit and tube roll.

For all our LFP-V Edition products, the new tube stage gets installed in different locations based on the product - so a new top with sliding glass window is not practical.  For example, with the Sig 30.2 and 70.2s, the tube stage is towards the front, right side of the unit (so there is no space on the top cover to install the track that holds the glass window, and it would look quite asymmetrical to have the window located there even if it was an option).  For the Isabellina and Isabellina HPA, the new tube stage is located in a different location, etc.

Thanks for your post,

Vinnie

kingpin

« Reply #52 on: 15 Aug 2010, 02:42 pm »
Is it possible to do the upgrade to an older Omega Signature 30 (with the 30.2 partial upgrade) with the wooden enclosure?  Not sure how it would be possible to tube roll with this.

sneezingdog

« Reply #53 on: 16 Aug 2010, 12:13 pm »
Is it possible to operate the LFP -V Isabellina DAC without using a tube (is there a switch), or must a tube always be inserted?

Thanks.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #54 on: 16 Aug 2010, 12:46 pm »
Is it possible to do the upgrade to an older Omega Signature 30 (with the 30.2 partial upgrade) with the wooden enclosure?  Not sure how it would be possible to tube roll with this.

Hi Kingpin,

Unfortunately, I don't believe it will be possible to upgrade the older Omega Sig 30 with the new SMART board, tube stage, and new battery.  Please email me or call me to discuss in more detail.

Is it possible to operate the LFP -V Isabellina DAC without using a tube (is there a switch), or must a tube always be inserted?

Thanks.

Hi sneezing dog,

Welcome to the Red Wine Audio Forum!

This is not switchable.  Trust me, you don't want to switch it out of the circuit - it sounds way too good with it!  :singing:

All the best,

Vinnie

mumbles

« Reply #55 on: 20 Aug 2010, 05:14 pm »
Good work Vinnie!
What is the cost to up grade the 70.2 monoblocks?
How much for just the output tube module?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #56 on: 20 Aug 2010, 07:08 pm »
Good work Vinnie!
What is the cost to up grade the 70.2 monoblocks?

Hi mumbles,

Thanks!

Pricing (and lots of detailed info) is listed here: http://www.redwineaudio.com/products/lfpv-edition
( just scroll down to "pricing")

How much for just the output tube module?

The tube stage requires our new LiFePO4 battery pack (there would be no room inside to fit it with the SLA batteries).  8)

I'm backlogged with new orders and upgrades into around November now - so please email me if you are interested in getting on the upgrade list. 

Should have all the parts in early September, so the LFP-V Edition "mod-a-thon" is happening soon!

Best regards,

Vinnie

fu_man

« Reply #57 on: 11 Sep 2010, 03:20 am »
Hi Kingpin,

Unfortunately, I don't believe it will be possible to upgrade the older Omega Sig 30 with the new SMART board, tube stage, and new battery.  Please email me or call me to discuss in more detail.

Hi Vinnie.  Any update on the above, or  is that "final"  (i.e. cant be done) I too have the older  Sig 30 and was thinking of  an  upgrade to 30.2..  but that option is a bit redundant now?  the  new LFP-v  sounds so exciting!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #58 on: 11 Sep 2010, 08:05 pm »
Hi fu_man,

The Signature 30 can be upgraded to the Signature 30.2 LFP-V Edition (but I cannot upgrade the Omega Signature 30 to the LFP-V Edition). 

For the original Red Wine Audio Signature 30 conversion to the Signature 30.2 LFP-V Edition, email me: vinnie@redwineaudio.com

Best regards,

Vinnie

alamakazam

« Reply #59 on: 23 Oct 2010, 07:13 am »
will this upgrade improve battery life? my 9month old signature battery is failing, 1 hour+ and it shuts down.