BP26 SNR vs. "volume" settings?

Napalm

Re: BP26 SNR vs. "volume" settings?
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2010, 08:37 pm »
One of the best posts i have read on this site, Its by Danny from GR research. I see no reason why cabling is any different. It demonstrates that measurements do not always tell us how things sound.

"Not unconfirmed or un-researched. The complete opposite.

Let's take a simple capacitor.

Do you think these companies just wind these things up and charge what the market will bare in accordance to their marketing?

I am what you'd think of as in industry insider. I get privy to some interesting manufacturing insights.

I can tell you that there are cap manufactures that will make many variations of the same cap and then listen to it in various applications to see what the differences are. Variations can include the thickness of the conductive material, how it is sprayed on or rolled, tightness of the winding, thickness of the dielectric material, length of the cap verses the diameter, how the end leads are terminated, termination material, wire type, coatings, type of dielectric material, type of film, etc.

And I have cap manufacturers send me samples all the time for my feedback.

I had one cap manufacturer send me three samples of the same cap and the only difference was the coating. One had a poly coating and was completely dipped and sealed. One had a poly coating just as a wrapper, but the ends were open, and one was completely open and was just wrapped in what looked like tissue paper. Each one of them sounded different. "

Reply Quote Notify

I could give you three capacitors of wildly different nominal values painted in three different colors. They will surely sound different, so in absence of any measurements you could decide that paint color has audible effects.

Nap.

werd

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2010, 09:22 pm »
I could give you three capacitors of wildly different nominal values painted in three different colors. They will surely sound different, so in absence of any measurements you could decide that paint color has audible effects.

Nap.

do you think i would post this if they weren't the same cap values?. He states it, just read it.

skunark

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jul 2010, 09:54 pm »
Comparing various capacitors to various power cables is like comparing beer to various beer glasses.   Speaking of which, time to put on my beer goggles.. 

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #23 on: 30 Jul 2010, 10:27 pm »
Just use your CD Stoplight green pen!!   :D

:lol:

Napalm

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2010, 10:32 pm »
do you think i would post this if they weren't the same cap values?. He states it, just read it.

Components are manufactured within certain tolerances and unless you measure you can't tell how different two samples are.

And here comes the skilled engineer who designs his amps so small variations in the components nominal values have only a limited impact on the overall performance.

A poorly designed one will be very sensitive to the exact parameters of certain "key" components. Here you can swap them with impressive effects.

Nap.

95Dyna

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jul 2010, 03:20 am »
:idea:

If an individual “hears” a perceived difference with their new acquisition, but in all actuality no improvement in audio quality occurred - did the purchase still not have a desired benefit for the user?

Totus en mens   :scratch:

I am not suggesting this with respect to this particular thread but as a general observation.

Be well…

Is this the same question as "if a man speaks alone in the woods and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?".

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #26 on: 31 Jul 2010, 03:41 am »
"if a man speaks alone in the woods and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?".

I can already see the subliminal answer in this question, permit me to illustrate…

"if a man speaks alone in the woods and there is no woman there to hear him, is he is still wrong?"

:no_see: :no_hear: :no_speak:

Be well...

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #27 on: 31 Jul 2010, 07:56 pm »
To all the cable koolaide drinkers who can't stop chasing their tails...

I'm done debating loopy cable effects on this post so please take it to the "path of least intelligence" if you wish to continue whipping the horse.

VOLKS

« Reply #28 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:31 pm »
To all the cable koolaide drinkers who can't stop chasing their tails...

I'm done debating loopy cable effects on this post so please take it to the "path of least intelligence" if you wish to continue whipping the horse.

"Koolaide drinkers who cant stop chasing their tails" & "Path of least intelligence"????????...............Whats your major malfunction KnowTalent???
This post was actually decent,until you just posted those two comments..............Did you have to stoop to the level of name-calling like an 8 year old?Is this how you try to prove your point in the end?Or when you cannot prove your point(which i still dont feel you did)..........you resort to childish name calling?You are very disrespectful with your comments.

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #29 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:41 pm »
"Koolaide drinkers who cant stop chasing their tails" & "Path of least intelligence"????????...............Whats your major malfunction KnowTalent???
This post was actually decent,until you just posted those two comments..............Did you have to stoop to the level of name-calling like an 8 year old?Is this how you try to prove your point in the end?Or when you cannot prove your point(which i still dont feel you did)..........you resort to childish name calling?You are very disrespectful with your comments.

The OP, which I started is on variations in SNR due to Volume control design.

Regarding my "childish" and "disrepectful" comments....Do you need a tissue or perhaps some Vagisil?

werd

« Reply #30 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:41 pm »

Don't worry about it Volks, in all fairness i did hijack his thread. Its only his system that will suffer and not ours......  oh well

VOLKS

« Reply #31 on: 31 Jul 2010, 10:58 pm »

The OP, which I started is on variations in SNR due to Volume control design.

Regarding my "childish" and "disrepectful" comments....Do you need a tissue or perhaps some Vagisil?

lol Wow Big man you are lol....i cant stop laughing ..........once again you proved your "worth" and your maturity level........here is a few beautiful photos of cables you really need! im sure it will make your day

PS-Here is a photo of a book you may want to read. :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #32 on: 31 Jul 2010, 11:20 pm »
Those are some of the coolest cables I've seen yet!!! Thanks VOLKS!! Here is my fav...

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #33 on: 31 Jul 2010, 11:50 pm »
Looks like we are on a roll…

Be well...

skunark

« Reply #34 on: 1 Aug 2010, 12:00 am »
Who's the friendly bunch here?   

1oldguy

« Reply #35 on: 1 Aug 2010, 12:28 pm »

lol Wow Big man you are lol....i cant stop laughing ..........once again you proved your "worth" and your maturity level........here is a few beautiful photos of cables you really need! im sure it will make your day

PS-Here is a photo of a book you may want to read. :thumb:

Very nice looking cables.I can only imagine the cost.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #36 on: 1 Aug 2010, 08:05 pm »
Siltech is some of the most expensive...they look cool too.

http://www.siltechcables.com/

1oldguy

« Reply #37 on: 2 Aug 2010, 01:04 am »
I wonder what would be great value type of deal.Coming up with 70k for cables it just too far out there for this oldguy.
Wounder what is being used by member here.Somehow though I doubt there will be a consensus,but still interesting nonetheless.

PC & Speaker...So just what are we using guys and girls? 

Napalm

« Reply #38 on: 2 Aug 2010, 01:30 am »
PC & Speaker...So just what are we using guys and girls?

Bryston.

Nap.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #39 on: 2 Aug 2010, 06:46 am »
Very nice looking cables.I can only imagine the cost.

Nordost Odin: $14,000 for 0.9 meter (3 ft) interconnects, $26,000 for 2.75 meter (9 ft) speaker cables.
The powercord is $16,000 per 2.5 meter.

They get a pretty nice review here.

They are nice. All my interconnects are Nordost Red Dawn, and it does make a difference. I *DO* think the Odins are too expensive for the marginal difference they make.

Quick overview, dunno how fresh this list is.