N1X Tour Feedback

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
N1X Tour Feedback
« on: 29 Jul 2010, 12:53 am »
WOW!

I received the tour samples weeks ago and finally got a chance to set them up and take a listen.  I figured with all the rave about Danny and GR-Research I needed to listen to what his speakers sounded like.  I emailed Danny and he put me on the tour.  I originally wanted the N2X because I really dislike ported speakers.  Well, I must say I was in for a really big treat. 

I will not bore anybody but I will cut to the chase.

Soundstage-OMG!  Am I really listening to bookshelfs? 

Tonality
-actually silky smooth with perfect extension for the size.  There is no port huff at all which really surprised me and need to find out from Danny how it's done. 

Image-absolutely spot on to the point it can rival some of the most expensive speakers I've heard including my own.

Sound Level-They will play LOUD.  If you're one that listens loud (> 85dB they will do it)  I tried everything from Classical to AC/DC and they are great with my normal volume (75dB) on up

I added my servo subs to them and was completely blown away.  I know this will sound like BS but this system (N1X's & Rythmik Servo Subs) is amazing not only for the money but the sound.  It's actually hard to believe.  Seriously. 

If you haven't heard them, you need to.  They will give you a great taste of what GR is all about and the fine work that Danny does. 

My room is treated with GIK bass traps, absorption behind speakers, walls with 244's. 

The setup for this test is:
Mac Mini (4GB RAM, SSD, Amarra) > Wavelength Crimson (Denominator Module) > Dodd Audio Buffer > Clayton Audio M-300 (300wpc Class A mono blocks) > Custom Rythmik Servo Subs (added later in evaluation)

Yes, most people would not be driving these speakers with these amps but even my old Leach sounded pretty darn good.  These speakers definetely blossom with power. 

If you have a few bucks to spend on shipping and want to hear a special bookshelf that will rival some floorstanders, give them a try.  Remember, like any speaker setup is important.

These speakers are my recommendation to people that want to spend less and get more.  Great Job Danny!

NeilT

Re: N1X Tour Feedback
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2010, 02:15 am »
Great feedback Jason and thanks.
I was wondering if you had ever received them, it has been awhile.

The N2X demoes helped me in my decision to buy an OB7 kit.
I could not believe what I was hearing, plus they blended so well with my 15 inch Rythmik servo.
They really seem to just disappear.

Getting to have them in your own system for a couple of weeks is priceless.
Thanks to Danny for making these available.

Neil

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2010, 03:01 am »
Jason, did you give them a try with your Class D amp?

Thanks for a very interesting report.  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2010, 08:39 am »
Jason...do you think a TWO.2 with 30V/130W power supply would be able to drive them effectively?? :?:

kingdeezie

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2010, 11:10 am »
Danny makes some great speakers.  :thumb:

I love my LSs.

I was thinking of getting my younger brother a pair of bookshelves for Christmas from GR.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2010, 11:20 am »
Jason, did you give them a try with your Class D amp?

Thanks for a very interesting report.  :thumb:

No I didn't as my amp is on loan to someone.  I did try my leach as noted.  The Class D would work very well.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2010, 11:21 am »
Jason...do you think a TWO.2 with 30V/130W power supply would be able to drive them effectively?? :?:

That would be a great combo!  I have no doubt that the TWO.2 could drive them well.  I used the TWO.2 with less effecient speakers then the N1X's.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2010, 11:22 am »
I was thinking of getting my younger brother a pair of bookshelves for Christmas from GR.

I HIGHLY recommend doing it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:45 pm »
BTW, thanks for posting the feedback.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2010, 01:46 pm »
BTW, thanks for posting the feedback.

My pleasure.   :thumb:  I'm really enjoying these little guys.  I'm really curious to know what the N2X sounds like now.   :duh:  I NEVER thought these would sound this good great. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 2 Sep 2010, 02:16 pm »
I shipped these tour N1X's off to Missouri...who's the lucky guy that got them?

pslate

« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2010, 04:33 pm »
Fired up the tour N1X speakers last night, and like jtwrace said they sound huge. The size of the soundstage is simply ridiculous. The other quick impression is that these speakers seemed quite smooth yet detailed at the same time. My wife commented on the difference in sound which hasn't happened in the past when I have added new speakers. She loves them, but gave me a worried glance and said no new speakers till at least this summer  :duh: Thank you Danny for this tour, really very cool of you.