Tubes list for Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC that can be used

bunky

Re: Tubes list for Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC that can be used
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2011, 01:30 pm »
Hello .... I would like to obtain a Siemens Silverplate to try in my EE DAC .... Can anyone halpe me locate one I can purchase or even try ?

Thanks
Brent Jesse had Siemens Nickel plates last year for $150.00 per matched pair when i bought mine and as his supply dwindled they went up to $200.00 per pair but now his list shows 0 in Stock.i would contact him to see if he may have a single lying around. these are one of the Holy Grail 12AU7 varients and if you find one expect to pay $100.00 or more for a single tube.

bunky

« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2011, 01:43 pm »
Tube world has a Siemens 12AU7 Nickel plate with a 1962 date code like mine for a paltry $170.00 per single tube  :o

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2011, 02:05 pm »
If you purchased a MiniMax DAC and need a Siemens silverplate drop me a private message.

mfsoa

« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2011, 03:57 pm »
I know many EE DAC users won't be swapping op-amps, but if you think you might, I'd say do it now before you get all tube-rolling crazy with it.

The op-amp swaps, IME, play a greater role in the sound of the unit than tube swaps.

If you do not swap the op-amp in the I/V position that feeds the tube output, you will be limiting the performance of the DAC substantially, regardless of how many $$$ tubes you roll.

And if you swap both pairs of op-amps so that you have the SS output sounding nice, you just might care about what tube you have in there  :wink:.

IMHO, IME etc. etc.

-Mike

Downsize

• Owner Downsize Audio Cables
    • Downsize Audio Cables
« Reply #24 on: 26 Feb 2011, 12:40 pm »
I am no longer going to have Boulder modify my EE DAC .... If anyone wants a new Pavane tube which Wayne uses in his modded DACs, give me a PM and I will make you a great deal.  It has never been used once, and is three months old.

Thanks

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #25 on: 26 Feb 2011, 04:08 pm »
  When we had the DAC I tried Tele, mullard and RCa 12AT7s. The differences were small but noticeable. The biggest difference had were from ICs, powercords and footer changes. As is the modded EEDAC is just fine as is.
   Depending on your system we found Tara ICs did the trick. so calleed neutral cables were to revealing and lean. So a rich or slightly warm sounding cable appears to be the ticket. Same for powercords. As good as Waynes cord is others had a nice synergy as well.
  Footers you say ? Yes. The simple and inexpensive Vibrapods bested brass cones, Stillpoints, Ebony cones, and sound Fusion.
  In our opinion Waynes mod is best left alone as is. Live with it for 500 hours and then try some shit. BTW the Pavane 12AT7 is a darn good sounding tube. With the crazy prices of NOS its a bargin and highly reccomended.

charles

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #26 on: 26 Feb 2011, 06:36 pm »
I've never really found a 12AT7 that I liked besides maybe the Mullard goldpin 6201, or Brimar yellow T labeled 6067(I believe that was the number)
 I much prefer the abundance of 12au7's readily available.
 To each their own though.