Rega Saturn vs. Bryston BDA

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
Rega Saturn vs. Bryston BDA
« on: 17 Jul 2010, 06:58 am »
I've never been able to find a Rega product to listen to but have heard many comment on how "musical" they are (much along the lines of Naim, which I have never encountered either)

I have listened to the BDA quite extensively and find it very rhythmically involving but somewhat lacking in soundstage depth and micro-resolution.

Is there anybody out there who has heard both and would care to comment?

Phil A

Re: Rega Saturn vs. Bryston BDA
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2010, 02:26 pm »
I listened to it vs. the BCD-1 when I first got the CD player (which I sold and now have the BDA-1) when it came out.  The owner of the shop would hide both units from view (and I also auditioned another player at that time) and put a CD in each with the same track number showing.  While audio is a matter of preference and synergy with other components (I auditioned on Thiel 3.7s which I own on both Bryston electronics which I own and also Ayre), I found the sound of the Rega a bit more veiled and more laid back vs. the Bryston.  I owned the original Planet when it was out many moons ago and if I like the Rega better I would have had no problem buying it.

KnowTalent

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2010, 10:06 pm »
I listened to it vs. the BCD-1 when I first got the CD player (which I sold and now have the BDA-1) when it came out.  The owner of the shop would hide both units from view (and I also auditioned another player at that time) and put a CD in each with the same track number showing.  While audio is a matter of preference and synergy with other components (I auditioned on Thiel 3.7s which I own on both Bryston electronics which I own and also Ayre), I found the sound of the Rega a bit more veiled and more laid back vs. the Bryston.  I owned the original Planet when it was out many moons ago and if I like the Rega better I would have had no problem buying it.

Thanks for chiming in Phil :thumb:

The fact that the Rega uses a class A output stage is what drew my curiosity. I don't know that it's built of discrete transistors like the BDA, but I figured it might have some of the same characteristics just the same.

Even after owning a BAT VK-D5SE and Wadia 381, I think the BDA offers amazing sound quality and respectable bang for the buck.  (It also measures quite well :lol:)

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2010, 02:15 am »
When I bought the CD player, all options were on the table.  I even blind tested the $6k Ayre 2 channel universal non-video machine.  I still preferred the BCD-1 on CD.

KnowTalent

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2010, 08:54 pm »
When I bought the CD player, all options were on the table.  I even blind tested the $6k Ayre 2 channel universal non-video machine.  I still preferred the BCD-1 on CD.

:thumb:

I can easily live with the minor shortcomings of the BDA-1 as it does the big ticket items so well.