Tube amps question

ricardojoa

Tube amps question
« on: 12 Jul 2010, 06:48 am »
Long ago, one of my fellow collegues whose into audio told me that tube amps are desing or are dedicated to play vocal musics and are not suitable for other types of music. He added that, tube amps arent good for playing fast and heavy bass material and if you do, it might blow the tubes. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks

rlee8394

Re: Tube amps question
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2010, 06:55 am »
ricardojoa,

There is no truth to that statement at all. Although opinions differ. Please read the latest issue of The Absolute Sound, issue # 204. Check out the Audio by Van Alstine UltraValve amp and Salk SongTowers.

Ron

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2010, 11:05 am »
Most decent tube amplifiers will have a frequency response of 20-20,000hz. Vocals are approximately in the middle of the audible spectrum.

Voicing determines how the amp actually sounds. Different brands have different voices because of how the hardware is set up.

Some voice options: Warm, dark, syrupy, clinical, neutral, bland.

Actually, solid-state amplifiers can have the same voice options. It all depends on the manufacturer and the model for tube or SS amps.

NOTE: You will get allot of suggestions regarding what to purchase. As the fans of various makes and models step in, ask what they prefer regarding sound quality. I think their opinions are valuable but what they like and what you like can be two different things. For example, some people like a mellow sound with rolled off highs. Others want warmth. Yet someone else will like extended highs.

The good news: It's all out there! Whatever you like, it is available.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2010, 11:54 am »
Long ago, one of my fellow collegues whose into audio told me that tube amps are desing or are dedicated to play vocal musics and are not suitable for other types of music. He added that, tube amps arent good for playing fast and heavy bass material and if you do, it might blow the tubes. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks
This is true only if your speakers are low impedance(4 ohms) and low sensitivity(84dB) as the Magnepans or some SonusFaber(4ohms, 88dB) and IF your tube amp are a little 9Watts SET using a 300B, or 45(1,5Watt), or 6AS7(7Watts) etc.
If your tube amp is a big 200W or more, it drive any loudspeaker.
Regards

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2010, 11:59 am »
The solution is using a small tube amp for good sound, driving a sensitive speaker as the Klipsch RF83(100dB/Watt) my top speaker list at the moment.

casarman

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2010, 02:35 pm »
I agree with niteshade, it will depend on your tastes, like any other human made stuff, audio gear is an imperfect one, so SS and tube both has pro and cons, and answering your question, there's no truth on that statement, if you use to listen to hard rock, heavy metal and/or electronic music, maybe an hybrid arrangement (tubes on pre and ss on amp) is your safe bet :eyebrows:.
Cheers!
Armando

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2010, 02:43 pm »

Thanks
Nope!-- I use a solid state integrated amp (Virtue Audio TWO.2) and a tube buffer(Grant Fidelity B-283)for the golden tube sound..nothing has blown up yet and the combination didn't break the bank not even close. I have the benefits of both technologies and with tubes I have the ability to tweak the sound by changing relatively inexpensive tubes. :thumb:

ricardojoa

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2010, 02:56 pm »
Thanks guys...merci.

raindance

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2010, 06:36 pm »
Nope!-- I use a solid state integrated amp (Virtue Audio TWO.2) and a tube buffer(Grant Fidelity B-283)for the golden tube sound..nothing has blown up yet and the combination didn't break the bank not even close. I have the benefits of both technologies and with tubes I have the ability to tweak the sound by changing relatively inexpensive tubes. :thumb:

You don't have a tube amplifier, so this response is not really helpful... 8)

My 2c worth: properly designed tube amps make flawed recordings sound musical and easier to listen to. This does not apply to most cheap tube amps, but there are some that get it right. Depending on the tube or transformer choices, the bass control (tightness) can be a huge factor. Also, cheap transformers cause an early roll-off at the top of the frequency spectrum, so some tube amps just sound plain dull. Certain tubes cause a "spotlight" effect in the midrange, making vocals sound glorious at the expense of all else. It is all a matter of personal taste. I like clean, smooth high end extension lacking in grain & sizzle, mids that make vocals and pianos sound realistic and deep bass. A tube amp, appropriately matched to your speakers can do this. If you want ultimate bass control and "speed"? Tubes probably aren't your thing.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2010, 09:07 pm »
Most decent tube amplifiers will have a frequency response of 20-20,000hz. Vocals are approximately in the middle of the audible spectrum.

Voicing determines how the amp actually sounds. Different brands have different voices because of how the hardware is set up.

Actually, solid-state amplifiers can have the same voice options. It all depends on the manufacturer and the model for tube or SS amps.

NOTE: You will get allot of suggestions regarding what to purchase. As the fans of various makes and models step in, ask what they prefer regarding sound quality. I think their opinions are valuable but what they like and what you like can be two different things. For example, some people like a mellow sound with rolled off highs. Others want warmth. Yet someone else will like extended highs.

The good news: It's all out there! Whatever you like, it is available.
Hello Niteshade,
Wonder If this Voices are options to your tube amps ??
Gustavo