Beacon Three Preamplifier: NEW!

Ericus Rex

Re: Beacon Three Preamplifier: NEW!
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2010, 01:03 pm »
Another nod in favor of the 12SN7 is that they are far cheaper NOS than the 6SN7.  A nod against it is that it is no longer in production.

guest1632

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jul 2010, 04:57 pm »
Another nod in favor of the 12SN7 is that they are far cheaper NOS than the 6SN7.  A nod against it is that it is no longer in production.

Ok, so a double throw double pole switch could be added on the chassis itself, to in one position to have the 12SN7, and the other the 6SN7 tube. That should be simple enough to implement. The 12SN7 tubes if they are at this point in time cheaper, would be a good way to go. His preamps don't really push the tubes to there limit, so that would be a good idea to try.

Also, anyone know about this new tube, the Kr10. It's not cheap, but is supposed to outdo any 6SN7 out there. It better be for a couple hundred a piece. Sophia Electric out of Virginia, has there premium tubes going for $100. They claim they are the best. haha.

Ray Bronk

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #22 on: 26 Jul 2010, 11:24 am »
I honestly would not worry about the prices of 6SN7's. Most are very reasonable. Just leave the ridiculously priced ones alone. Good used vintage 6SN7's are $5.00 to $15.00 each.

One of my favorite new 6SN7's in made by Tung Sol. Another, believe it or not is the Sino 6SN7.

guest1632

« Reply #23 on: 6 Mar 2011, 01:15 pm »
I honestly would not worry about the prices of 6SN7's. Most are very reasonable. Just leave the ridiculously priced ones alone. Good used vintage 6SN7's are $5.00 to $15.00 each.

One of my favorite new 6SN7's in made by Tung Sol. Another, believe it or not is the Sino 6SN7.

Hi Blair,

So which brand do you use?

Also, is the buffer standard fair on the Beacon3 or how much minus the buffer? Also, so you are using 4 tubes? three in parallel, and this split gain stage?

Ray Bronk

gooberdude

« Reply #24 on: 6 Mar 2011, 10:25 pm »
Ray,

The Beacon III SE i'm ordering has 4 6SN7 tubes.  Initially i only purchased 3 upgraded AN tube sockets, then found this out   :duh:

When all is said & done, between my amp & preamp, i'll have (6) 6SN7 tubes in service.  I've been reading up on a lot of the new production ones, and will definitely try the Create Audio version, and prolly the really expensive shuguang black treasure tubes...down the road when funds allow.

For the time being though, the $10-$15 ones should do just fine. I didn't look at the tubes that Blair sent on the Beacon II tour, but it (they) sounded great.

I wouldn't consider dropping a lot of $ on the hi-end valves if Blairs designs ate them up quickly.  I've had enough of that with my old CONN organ console amp. It goes through a set of power tubes & a set of 12AX7's a year...not good.  I'm hoping that at some point Blair can re-do my CONN & make it sing for another 40 yrs.

matt

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #25 on: 7 Mar 2011, 12:43 am »
There is no such thing as a Beacon Three with four tubes.  :D

That would be a Beacon Four!  :dance:

More tubes are necessary when features such as when tone controls are added or various other things. We'll talk about this more...as usual, I have ideas.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #26 on: 7 Mar 2011, 12:50 am »
Actually, I do not have a favorite brand of tubes, either for power or small signal applications. Every manufacturer has a different characteristic about their product, even if it has the same part number. This fact is what makes tube rolling so much fun!

What to stay away from: JJ/Tesla GZ34's. If you like your amp/preamp...STAY AWAY!

My buffer mode is an add on and can be implamented with the Beacon One and up. It is an active buffer with no voltage gain. It is used to match a source up with an amplifier (which a pre w/ voltage gain does as well).

Beacon Three: All three tubes can be used in parallel or one can be used as an isolated gain stage. There is also the possibility of putting tone controls in series between the gain and driver stage.

Hi Blair,

So which brand do you use?

Also, is the buffer standard fair on the Beacon3 or how much minus the buffer? Also, so you are using 4 tubes? three in parallel, and this split gain stage?

Ray Bronk

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 7 Mar 2011, 12:54 am »
Are you ever going to make a fully balanced pre?

borism

« Reply #28 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:09 am »
Are you ever going to make a fully balanced pre?
I am also interested.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #29 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:09 am »
I like the idea of using XLR sockets because they are rugged.

If I did make one, it would be a true balanced input that uses transformers.

When will this happen? As soon as someone asks for one. I would use transformers on the input to keep it truly balanced up to the sources.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:12 am »
I like the idea of using XLR sockets because they are rugged.

If I did make one, it would be a true balanced input that uses transformers.

When will this happen? As soon as someone asks for one. I would use transformers on the input to keep it truly balanced up to the sources.

My question of asking a fully balanced (from in to out) is what you're calling true balanced not just using XLR sockets. 

How about we call it a Class A differential linestage. 

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #31 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:37 am »
Ok- Very interest-making!  :idea:

I don't see why not...

gooberdude

« Reply #32 on: 7 Mar 2011, 05:29 am »
Blair,

If you think you could modify my NS-15 amp to do XLR connections, i might be your guinnea pig for a balanced preamp.  After experiencing the NS-15 + Beacon II combo at Hammer's place I know its not needed, but...

My new place is rfi rich, my last condo in Chicago was too.  I'm game, lets talk tomorrow if time allows.  The one component that i don't own too many of is interconnects, and i've been interested in XLR for some time.

I'm a sucker for the urban environment.   :lol:

The comment that XLR is a beefy connection is valid.  I like the Powercon ac connections for the same reason. Recently i've gone with a USB DAC, the Tranquility, and i'm less than amused by the USB connection...in terms of literal strength.  I like it when audio connections lock in place & don't have 'wiggle room'.

And now i'm totally confused - does the Beacon III SE with tube rectification only have 3 tubes???   it really doesn't matter, i've ordered enough AN sockets to fit most any configuration.   :green:

matt

guest1632

« Reply #33 on: 7 Mar 2011, 12:50 pm »
Actually, I do not have a favorite brand of tubes, either for power or small signal applications. Every manufacturer has a different characteristic about their product, even if it has the same part number. This fact is what makes tube rolling so much fun!

What to stay away from: JJ/Tesla GZ34's. If you like your amp/preamp...STAY AWAY!

My buffer mode is an add on and can be implamented with the Beacon One and up. It is an active buffer with no voltage gain. It is used to match a source up with an amplifier (which a pre w/ voltage gain does as well).

Beacon Three: All three tubes can be used in parallel or one can be used as an isolated gain stage. There is also the possibility of putting tone controls in series between the gain  and driver stage.

Hi Blair, Ok, so can I have the three tubes plus that extra stage, or would that be of no advantage as far as sonics go?? I asked because your earlier posts on the Beacon 3 mentioned the three tube stages, and then you mention the isolated stage, hence the slight confusion.

Also, could you explain the upgraded supply that "will take advantage of tube rectification?" Ok, so what is the big deal now? What tubes are you using for rectification?

Ray Bronk

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #34 on: 8 Mar 2011, 01:01 pm »
Unless otherwise specified, a Beacon Three can have one of the following configurations:

1) An isolated gain stage + two-tube driver stage
2) All three tubes in parallel (no isolated driver stage)

The upgraded tube rectified power supply will provide these benefits:

1) Additional current available to the audio circuit
2) Additional filtering stages
3) Another user-replaceable component

The idea is to get the tube rectifier to "feel" what is going on, much like they do in a tube amplifier. Think of it as an increase in tactile sensation.

I like the 5U4 or 5AR4. They're interchangeable in this circuit to make tube rolling more inviting.

My standard power supply isolates the audio circuit from the power supply as much as possible. It works great as well, by providing exceptionally pure DC for 99% quiet backdrops.

guest1632

« Reply #35 on: 8 Mar 2011, 03:57 pm »
Unless otherwise specified, a Beacon Three can have one of the following configurations:

1) An isolated gain stage + two-tube driver stage
2) All three tubes in parallel (no isolated driver stage)

The upgraded tube rectified power supply will provide these benefits:

1) Additional current available to the audio circuit
2) Additional filtering stages
3) Another user-replaceable component

The idea is to get the tube rectifier to "feel" what is going on, much like they do in a tube amplifier. Think of it as an increase in tactile sensation.

I like the 5U4 or 5AR4. They're interchangeable in this circuit to make tube rolling more inviting.

My standard power supply isolates the audio circuit from the power supply as much as possible. It works great as well, by providing exceptionally pure DC for 99% quiet backdrops.

Hi Blair,

Ok, I would think that most people would want that extra stage for more and better detail. Obviously the Beacon 2 is no slouch, and with that extra stage added that would be better. Hence, the Beacon 3.

Now for the supply, ok, so why couldn't you use a SS rectifier here as opposed to using a tube rectifier? Wouldn't that also give you access to just as much or more current even faster by virtual you are using SS as opposed to tubes? I personally don't care if it's one more replaceable component. That's one more component to die faster. Now if there is indeed a sonic reason to use a Tube rectifier, then ok I'm game. Yes, that tube would also heat up along with the other ones, versus the solid state diode type just letting the inrush of current flow. But this supply is not standard. you have two more stages.

Ray Bronk

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #36 on: 9 Mar 2011, 12:09 pm »
Tube rectifiers do not burn out quickly when used appropriately. You do not have to worry about that. Some are naturally better than others from the factory, I will concede to that.

Many people like tube rectification and in order to make the upgrade worth while, this is the route I chose.

Tube rectifiers have a more elastic voltage output than soild state diodes. This is often characterized by a broader midrange. The good news: A tube preamp with this upgrade option provides more tuning options since the power supply now becomes a moderately participating part of the audio circuit.

Can this be done with diode rectification? Yes- I know how to. Tube rectification can be simulated. I may offer a similar upgrade package based on diode rectification in the future for something I have up my sleeve.

Single or multiple gain stages: There is a time and place for everything. The Beacon Two is a single stage, high current preamp. It can run anything. Having an additional current source is can be very nice with very long cable runs or extra-low impedance loads. The first Beacon Three made was a parallel system and the owner loves it. As many tubes as necessary can be paralleled.

HOT NEWS: A phono preamp will be available in the next two months. It will be designed into a Beacon 4!!!