Fee increase at Audiogon

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Fee increase at Audiogon
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jul 2010, 05:35 am »
AudiogoN is a nice place. Been there since the fee was a buck. I find it interesting that folks in MANY forums openly say cheat the place out of it's fair commision. I wonder, with that lack of moral character, does the same person do if a problem comes up.. just cheat? Screw the buyer?
These cheaters say: "Hey I can save a few bucks by harming the folks who make it all posible. Sort of like shoplifting. they're a big company, they can eat my theft of services...
I ask folks who buy my stuff complete the transaction it via AudiogoN's system. The small price is well worth the service.
I sell my stuff a little below the fair market value too.. I want the buyer to be happy. I dispise those who are money grubbers. hey steal a nickel today..
Poverty mentality. Worried they are 'poor'.
(I am certain I have violated several rules about stuff and posts here It was  worth it to tell the truth.. feel free to delete, or condemn my post. flame away.  :drool:

srb

« Reply #21 on: 7 Jul 2010, 05:49 am »
I tried to buy a component on Audiogon from a seller who sells new, boxed closeouts at decent prices.  But he refused to use the Audiogon transactor system and the purchase was not made.

In fact, he told me to never email him again.  Why would I want to email someone who blatantly tried to circumvent the seller fee contract?

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jul 2010, 06:04 am »
I just fold the fee, along with paypal into my asking price......that way, I never charge for Paypal  :thumb: (as a seller you know what you want, and you know your bottom dollar)

I think that is rather naive. As a seller I may know my bottom dollar but it may be difficult or impossible to get it with all the low ballers that haunt Audiogon and the current economy.  You seem to forget that buyers also know the maximum total they will pay.  Any fee has to come from either the buyer or seller.

I have decided against many purchases when shipping or taxes made the cost too high relative to the value to me.  Those fees did not provide value to me in the form of a better product. Sales tax where I live in CA is now 8.75%.  That has caused me to avoid several large purchases.

Don_S

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jul 2010, 06:16 am »
I have other issues with Audiogon.  When I tried to list a power conditioner with optional power cord Audiogon kicked my ad even though many of the other power conditioner ads offered optional power cords. They cited their one item per ad policy unless the items are sold as a package only.

They also won't allow listing two power cords to be sold separately or together. With the proliferation of monoblocks I thought it would be an advantage to list a pair of matched power cords but also sell them separately if there were offers for single cords.  Can't do it. I had four identical cords to sell and did not want to place multiple ads with no guarantee of selling even one item. I was also looking for buyers who needed more than one power cord of the same model.

Since Audiogon started the fee structure I have not sold one item there.  I have advertised a couple of items but they did not sell there.  I sold them here and on Audio Excel and a TacT users forum.

The new fee structure and the unfriendly policies at Audiogon have caused me to forgo a round of power cord upgrades. Selling equipment is becoming more of a hassle so I avoid it. Poor resale prices have also caused me to avoid equipment changes.
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2010, 02:53 pm by Don_S »

rpf

« Reply #24 on: 7 Jul 2010, 06:45 am »
No one cares for fee increases; particularly on a site that has rather narrow/arbitrary rules and policies. But their fees are, on the whole, a good value and I'm leery of dealing with people who try to circumvent them.

The only thing I have a problem with is the one item per ad limit for even small, inexpensive items. How is it reasonable to charge $4 plus 2% on - for example - a $20 tube? It would make far more sense to allow multiple items that, say, total $100 or less.

silver_strings

« Reply #25 on: 7 Jul 2010, 10:43 am »
This is one reason I stopped selling on audiogon the fees are getting to high, the other is that there too many flakes who agree to buy your stuff and then you never hear back from them. I decided to sell my tekton's and some tube amps here and on craigslist first before having them go up on audiogon.

scraps@midnight

« Reply #26 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:12 am »
I tried to buy a component on Audiogon from a seller who sells new, boxed closeouts at decent prices.  But he refused to use the Audiogon transactor system and the purchase was not made.

In fact, he told me to never email him again.  Why would I want to email someone who blatantly tried to circumvent the seller fee contract?

Steve

You may be jumping to conclusions. I sell on Audiogon quite a bit and try as hard as I can to avoid the system...BUT...I leave feedback ensuring that the appropriate fee is paid. The reasons I do not want to use the transaction system is more about the process itself. It is just way too many unnecessary emails to complete a simple deal that can be done in one. I also sometimes list products that I have more than one of and like to rerun the ads so they show up in new today. If an offer is accepted, you can mark the item as available again but you cannot cancel the ad and rerun it. So what you end up with is a ton of ads for the same product in the listings. It is a huge pain.

Overall, I love Agon. I just cannot stand the archaic system fro simple transactions.

They also recently changed the system so when an offer is made you cannot hit reply and email the buyer directly which makes i much harder to avoid the system.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #27 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:50 am »
In Canada we have a Canuck Audio Mart, compltetely free with no BS.  People who buy new take such a hit when selling used goods.  Agon fees don't help.  I no longer buy or sell with them. 
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2010, 07:37 am by Wind Chaser »

droht

« Reply #28 on: 8 Jul 2010, 04:29 am »
I agree.  I tend to try and sell stuff on sites like this first, but then go to AgoN if they don't move.  Usually they go pretty quickly on AgoN, leaving me to wonder why I just didn't post it there in the first place. 

While no one likes paying more for anything, I don't think AgoN's new fees are out of line.  I don't think they should be circumvented, and will not do business like that.   I will avoid their offer and response system like the plague, however.  That is just cumbersome and annoying.

Well, ya know what? My stuff always sells there.
So, I guess we have to pay.

D

rpf

« Reply #29 on: 8 Jul 2010, 04:42 am »
I will avoid their offer and response system like the plague, however.  That is just cumbersome and annoying.

Agreed.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #30 on: 9 Jul 2010, 12:45 am »
I have also ran a classified, not sold the item in 14 days, modified the classified to another product altogether and sold that second item.  As long as you don't "complete" a listing you are able to change it numerous times.

Only problem is the Bookmarks title does'nt change which can be a bit confusing. :oops: