In Defense of Our Hobby

werd

Re: In Defense of Our Hobby
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jul 2010, 06:39 pm »

'Dad, how much was that 25' Sea Ray boat with sleeping quarters, bathroom and sink that you used a dozen times the first 2 years and hasn't been in the water in 5 years?"

The 2 happiest days of a boat owner.... the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat.....  :lol:

Don_S

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jul 2010, 08:23 pm »
When my sister made a funny face at my audio expenses I simply replied "its like your vette, it does not have to make sense."  She smiled and immediately understood.

Good thing she did because otherwise I would have had to expound on the fact that I can play my system when it is raining or snowing.  The vette is a fair weather vehicle so it can stay pristine.  Not a vette fan but this one is a gorgeous deep red metallic (Monterey red). I have never had a ride in it but she is leaving it to me in her will.  Probably the only way I will ever get a ride in it.  :lol:  I hope it has a nice stereo.  :dance:

Audio, unlike many hobbies, can be done in any weather. There is no season and you don't have to drive far or have an entire day to do it (like boating, skiing, etc.). No extra insurance or registration required. Yes, it is the lazy man's hobby.

Beware of any activity you have to buy special clothes for.  :lol: (I forget who said that).

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #22 on: 5 Jul 2010, 08:34 pm »
Number crunching  :scratch:

I think if you examine our “audio hobby” on a cost per hour ratio, it is much less expensive than other individual’s hobbies. At this point in time, my system cost  is approximately $41/Hr and this value goes down every time you turn your system on. Now, if I donate my X-05 and perhaps my 1400’s (and then again maybe not  :scratch: ) to my wife’s upcoming system - my cost per hour will increase again with the replacement gear I purchase.

Be well…

Napalm

« Reply #23 on: 5 Jul 2010, 08:55 pm »
Now, if I donate my X-05 and perhaps my 1400’s (and then again maybe not  :scratch: ) to my wife’s upcoming system - my cost per hour will increase again with the replacement gear I purchase.

Naaah..... this for her:

Nap.  :icon_twisted:

Laundrew

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jul 2010, 09:17 pm »
Naaah..... this for her:

Nap.  :icon_twisted:

:nono:  :wink:

Be well...

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #25 on: 5 Jul 2010, 11:31 pm »
I must have cool friends. Those that have heard it are impressed. Those who have not, don't put it down, but they do say they can't afford it or they put their money in some other hobby.

If anyone comes into my lair and starts eye-rolling, arguing, and snickering, out the door they go! I'll give them a warning first, however. But, no exceptions whether I've known them for a long time or a short time. 8)

That kind kind of behavior is disrespectful, James, and you should not tolerate it.

werd

« Reply #26 on: 5 Jul 2010, 11:33 pm »
I must have cool friends. Those that have heard it are impressed. Those who have not, don't out it down, but they do say they can't afford it or they put their money in some other hobby.

If anyone comes into my lair and starts eye-rolling, arguing, and snickering, out the door they go!

Next time in Vegas i will have to look you up !!!!!

FredT300B

« Reply #27 on: 5 Jul 2010, 11:34 pm »
I have no more need to defend the cost of my system than my neighbor needs to defend the cost of the new Mercedes S-class he bought a few weeks ago. But the reality is nobody who isn't already into audio is going to spend $5K or more on a system, even if they have lots of discretionary spending money, so I steer them toward something they will buy.

When somebody asks how much my system cost I tell them it's expensive, but you can build a very satisfying system for less than $400 total. Then I take them upstairs to my office to hear the under $400 system, and they agree it's not as good as the downstairs system but it's much better than what they are listening to today. Several have actually gone out and bought the system I recommended, and two have since upgraded to better equipment.

The $400 system consists of a pair of Dayton Audio BR-1 standmount speakers (about $160), a Best Buy Insignia stereo receiver ($99), any mass market DVD player, Wal Mart wires and cinderblock stands from Home Depot. Most don't get the stands. Their wife wins out and the speakers are placed on a shelf. But still, for almost all the people who upgrade to this system, it will be the most significant sound improvement they will experience in their life, even if they later upgrade to a high end system.

vegasdave

« Reply #28 on: 5 Jul 2010, 11:35 pm »
Next time in Vegas i will have to look you up !!!!!

Ok, sounds good.  8)

Laundrew

« Reply #29 on: 5 Jul 2010, 11:47 pm »

"...and cinderblock stands from Home Depot."

I can so relate to this one - for now anyway  :thumb:

Be well...

jaxwired

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jul 2010, 12:05 am »
The typical non-audiophile actually spends MORE on the typical system owned because they rarely listen to it.  Lots of people have purchased POS systems from best buy or circuit city and for the most part they play music 3 times a year for parties.  So at that rate... $1000 invested and used for maybe 20 hours over the course of a year = $50/hour.

My system cost me about $10k.  I used it approximately 500 hours last year = $20/hour.  Less than half what a non-audiohile spends.  I'm not joking here.  People drop $500 or $1000 on stuff all the time that gets very little use.  Or how about clothes that get worn once or worse still have the tags on them. 

I don't begrudge people their hobbies at all.  If they enjoy them, then I'm happy for them.  However, I agree that our hobby does get more than it's share of disrespect.  Mostly due to what I'm willing to admit is a charlatan element to the hobby.  That's unfortunate, but the positive side of the hobby makes it easy to defend.

Music is not degrading to your character or your soul (or at least my music isn't).  Music relaxes.  Music is uplifting.  Music has been shown to have many positive health benefits.  Music can be enjoyed with your family.  Ask a golfers wife which hobby she'd choose for her husband. 

Once you buy a high end system, the investment is over (in theory  :)).  Most other hobbies require much more on-going expenses.  Some people use the same high end system for 20 years (say until their Bryston warranty runs out).  Show me a golfer, tennis player, car enthusiast, damn near anything that's still using 20 year old gear. 

Napalm

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jul 2010, 01:56 am »
Show me a golfer [...] that's still using 20 year old gear.

Tiger Woods is using 35 years old gear for his hobby.

Nap.  :eyebrows:

vegasdave

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jul 2010, 05:49 am »
Tiger Woods is using 35 years old gear for his hobby.

Nap.  :eyebrows:

?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #33 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:15 am »
?

Tigers 35 years old, I believe. Hmmm......he likes to poke a few on the side. :wink: :lol:

JackD201

« Reply #34 on: 6 Jul 2010, 07:56 am »
Defense? None what so ever. I'm nuts and proud of it. So long as the real priorities in my family life are met I believe I've earned the right to a pat on the back in the form of good music.

Construct

« Reply #35 on: 6 Jul 2010, 10:49 am »
It is easy to explain (justify)  under two conditions. First:  if you are not so overboard that you are changing components every couple of months like you are possess with some kind of upgrade demon. It's hard to explain any hobby that involves constant expense and change on a high level.  Second:  if someone listens and is genuinely impressed or blown away by the sound.  There are a lot of unwashed masses that either never delved into audio at all, or those weened on modern technology like 192K mp3's from a poorly recorded  cd with 4db of dynamic range. Sometimes, the hobby justifies itself like it did with me in the 80's.  When I listened to what I was missing, I decided that like other hobbies it does take a certain investment to get in the ballpark.

Phil A

« Reply #36 on: 6 Jul 2010, 11:06 am »
?

He's talking about the big driver :green:

kingdeezie

« Reply #37 on: 6 Jul 2010, 01:26 pm »
I also think that one of the reasons that we come under fire from a lot of people in the general population (read as not audiophiles/musicphiles), is that music to them is more of a condiment of life rather then a main dish.

Most people that I know of listen to music at certain times; in the car, while at a club, or while they workout, etc, etc, etc. Music is not the focus when they are listening to it; its just an environmental stimuli.   

I don't know anyone else personally that just puts on music and sits there and listens to it for hours at a time like I do. So, establishing a system that costs tens of thousands of dollars for this purpose seems completely silly to these people.

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #38 on: 6 Jul 2010, 02:18 pm »
Hi,
We discussed recently a lot of political issue and less about our common hobby.
As Elizabeth has started a post I LOVE my Bryston BP-26 I can add I love so much my Bryston staff that I refuse to listen to any other audio gear. Working shifts allows me to listen a lot, average 8 hours a day. In days off from 7AM to 2AM the next day. Since I've installed my system 2 and half ago I haven't change anything with the exception of the CD in the draw tray. I want to thank to all Bryston staff for these awesome products.
Daniel

casarman

« Reply #39 on: 6 Jul 2010, 02:39 pm »
Hi end don´t need to be justify, since I'm a grown man and I make my own decisions not to be aproved among by others, but to satisfy myself.  8)
Cheers!
Armando!