Complete - Ob-7's finally done

newportcycle

Complete - Ob-7's finally done
« on: 4 Jul 2010, 12:16 am »
Well I've finally gone and done it, I've completeted my OB-7's.  Its only taken 9 months but they are finished and breaking in as I type.  All I can say is wow, what a sound.  I'm not a prolific author so I wont even try to post a review.  I'm in hopes this post will encourage others to give this a try if they are so inclined. My speakers are not as pretty as others shown here, but the looks do not hinder the sound, and the knowledge gained and self satisfaction of a job done to the best of my ability is is much of the reward.  Danny, thank you for a great design and customer service.  These speakers are the 4th GR Research design that I have built and they maintain the same great standard of high qualitity, fantastic sound, and great value that I've come to expect.

ebag4

Re: Complete - Ob-7's finally done
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2010, 12:22 am »
Looks like you did an excellent job, nice! :thumb:

Best,
Ed

dvenardos

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2010, 12:32 am »
Good job! It looks like you also did a matching sub, what is it?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2010, 12:39 am »
Very nice. I think you will really like these speakers :drool: Besides there's some pride in building your own speakers.

jdbrian

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2010, 12:07 am »
Hi and welcome to the club.

Those look great!!. I find the only problem with mine is that now I need to upgrade the rest of my system.

Cheers
Brian

newportcycle

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2010, 10:50 am »
Good job! It looks like you also did a matching sub, what is it?

The sub is the SW-12-04 (12" Servo Sub), very nice base, tight and accurate.  I've been running the sub as a suplement to my Neo2x's.

Brian, I feel the same way, I'm running an old McIntosh receiver and can't decide if I want to now build a couple of tube monoblocks to run things or upgrade the MC4200 to newer McIntosh separates.

ichillpill

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2010, 03:24 pm »
Very nice work. I like how they match to your sub. Do they match to your N2x also? What are your plans for a center?

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2010, 05:27 pm »
Man those sure look nice. Good work!

I especially like how clean the wiring is.  :thumb:

newportcycle

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2010, 06:23 pm »
Very nice work. I like how they match to your sub. Do they match to your N2x also? What are your plans for a center?

Thanks much, they do match the N2's, all have been done in cherry veneer. 

I have an A/V-3s center channel hidden in the cabinet just off camera.

If anyone has any ideas of a good tube monoblock project, I'm all ears.

dvenardos

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2010, 06:26 pm »
Is that your "final" position? Just wondering how far you have them away from the rear wall and how they sound there compared to your N2X?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2010, 06:32 pm »
Tube monoblocks, eh?

Here you go:

http://www.dynakitparts.com/store/product.aspx?id=3

although I prefer the dynaco doctor's circuit.

http://www.curcioaudio.com/dynadr_3.htm#DYNACO MARK-2 & 3 MONO POWER AMP

newportcycle

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2010, 10:51 pm »
Is that your "final" position? Just wondering how far you have them away from the rear wall and how they sound there compared to your N2X?

Their not in their final resting place just yet.  Presently, one is 4' from side wall, 3' from back wall, other is near center of part of the room as the back wall falls away toward the stair way, the speakers are 8' apart, listening area about 12 feet back.  The most apparent thing I've noticed from the N2x's is the openness of the highs and mids, the soundstage seems very centered, and deeper.  Im still trying to configure the sub, I have the phase set to zero, crossover set at 60, and just shy if mid level.  The base is very tight.

Thanks for the link to the monoblocks, very interesting.  Do you own these?  Are they quiet?

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul 2010, 01:33 am »
Well done man! :drool:

Congratulations.

Did you design your bases?

Ruben

jdbrian

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jul 2010, 03:18 pm »
Hi

I have my 7's in a rectangular room roughly 13x20ft. They are facing the long axis. I have them about 5ft. from the rear wall and 3 ft from side walls. You can fine tune the sound by adjusting the reflection/diffusion from the rear output of the mids. I am still experimenting with this.

Brian

NeilT

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:02 pm »
Great job  :thumb:, and thank you for the pics, helps out the rest of us with our projects,
and it looks like Christmas came early for ya this year.
Glad to see em up and running.

Neil

newportcycle

« Reply #15 on: 7 Jul 2010, 09:59 am »
Hi

I have my 7's in a rectangular room roughly 13x20ft. They are facing the long axis. I have them about 5ft. from the rear wall and 3 ft from side walls. You can fine tune the sound by adjusting the reflection/diffusion from the rear output of the mids. I am still experimenting with this.

Brian

That will be my focus now trying to get the placement and room reflections tuned.  I'll be picking up a meter and test CD soon to aid in this effort.

Ruben, the base's were the result of some trial and error, different size bottle caps to get the radius's the way I wanted and a strait edge to connect them all.  I glued a rectangular block on top of the curved base one half inch smaller in dimension than the bottom of the speaker to give a shadowing effect, all painted black attached this to the sepaker base with long machine screws and threaded inserts.

Thanks Neil.

Now if I can just find that 50w to 75w monoblock project, I can put off some house work until fall.

NeilT

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jul 2010, 04:16 pm »
Hey newportcycle,
How are those OB's breakin in?
How do they compare to your N2X's?
and,
Do you happen to have any pictures of your Xovers?

Thanks
Neil

newportcycle

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jul 2010, 10:25 pm »
Breaking in fine, as stated above they are much more open sounding, even finer details in the upper and mids than can be heard with the N2x's. A prolific reviewer I'm not, to steal a line from a famous audiophile, "They sound Swell."

Here are a couple of pics of the crossovers, dont laugh, this is the least favorite part of any speaker build for me.

NeilT

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jul 2010, 11:31 pm »
Breaking in fine, as stated above they are much more open sounding, even finer details in the upper and mids than can be heard with the N2x's. A prolific reviewer I'm not, to steal a line from a famous audiophile, "They sound Swell."

Here are a couple of pics of the crossovers, dont laugh, this is the least favorite part of any speaker build for me.

Swell is good enough for me.
The demo N2X's convinced me to go with the OB7's, hard to imagine them sounding any sweller.

The pics didn't make it, could be my connection, but please try again.

Thanks
Neil