Up to 200 times more expensive, is it 200 times sonically better ? ? ?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
I admit I've been slow regarding tours and reviews. It's nothing personal and I apologize if it seemed that way.

I wanted a retail line for review- and the amps are ready. Preamps are next. The amps were not ready until last month cosmetically.

OK.  When I first contacted you I was really interested but I kept hearing soon, I"m working on it.........I couldn't wait any longer.  The tour would instantly be a hit IMO.  I do still think people would **try** it whether as many would purchase is always the issue but maybe more so now as some heavy competition (pricepoint) has come out IMO. 

Going forward, I think it's imperative to you and Niteshade to have a timeline and stick to it. 

Guy 13

Nope--lots of folks spend $$$$$$$$ trying to get that last 5%,,it's all about price/performance,,synergy and what sounds good to you.  8)
Hi Dangerbird.
Some audiophiles can spend more than double the price to get only 5% more sonic quality or to get that quarter inch thick gold plated from plate...
Does not make sense to me, but sure does make sense to them !
Anyway, it's their money, not mine...
Guy 13

Guy 13

For some price is an issue. For others it is not.  In my case as an example we have tried numerous DACs and CDPs that cost anywhere a pittance compared to our reference CDP. in the end some were very close in sonic merrits most were not. Was the sound worth the expenditure ? For us it was. Better is better. Was it twice as good according to price ? NO no and no. However for us that little bit is what did it. We are talking $3300 [ now $5500] for our reference CDP a Lector CDP7TL. Examples of lessor players such as the Bryston, PS Audio, Altman, Audio Note, Oritek, OppoSE, modded Art DIO, Arcam and several others.
   We would purchase the newer one for $5500 but the Mk1 with the older chip sounds better to us. Go figure.
   C'mon guys if you could afford the world class gear you would have it. I believe it is just that simple. Just like anything else in life. Money talks BS walks. BTW we are not millionaires just the average Joe.

charles
Hi Rollo.
Even if I had a truck load of money to buy the 10,000 USD+ interconnects, I would not do it, because to me, it does not make sense to buy something that is just a little better than... Well, let say : than a 500 USD interconnects.
I call it common sense... You call it whatever you want !
Guy 13

Guy 13

Robbery implies you don't have a choice, something is forcefully taken away from you and you get nothing in return.

With audio, while some things may be extremely expensive and their may be great or minimal differences between the least expensive vs. the most expensive item. You still have a choice and you walk a way with an item of your choosing.

Your perceived value dictates to you what is an acceptable price point for you, others may or may not agree with the point you don't want to go beyond but that doesn't mean other are wrong for doing it or they're not getting a value going beyond that point. They may want that additional sound that can only be gotten by purchase the more expensive piece. It's their choice and there spending more doesn't make it wrong for them.
Hi Joe.
Buying something that cost 200% more and give you in return only 5% more is not wrong, it the choice of the person that have the money to justify his priorities and reasons...
For me, it a matter of common sense, but look as if common sense does not have the same meaning for everyone.
Guy 13.

Guy 13

My $57,000 dCS easily sounds twice as good as my $32,000 Naim CD555 did, in addition to playing SACD's and functioning as an upsampling DAC as well.  When I bought the Naim, it sounded more than twice as good as the $16,000 Meridian 808 I was using (though I did lose DVD-a capability).  The Meridan sounded worlds better than the Modwright Denon I was using at the time, and the Modwright Denon sounded light years better than the Ah! Toejb player before it.

And just for laughs, I borrowed an Ah! Tjoeb player from a friend to compare to the dCS, it sounded like a transistor radio in comparison.  However, listening to the Ah! Tjoeb on his Marantz 2275 and JBL L100's, it sounds pretty darn good.

So, I'd say going from a $1,000 player to almost a $60,000 player has yielded pretty linear results.  Granted most people aren't this obsessed, but there's a lot of performance out there.  Your call whether you'd like to spend the money on something else.
Hi.
Each person is entitle to his own opinion, based on his own or other experience.
May I say that I don't agree with you.
But, that's my opinion for what's it's worth.
Guy 13.

Guy 13

Just curious how one could even attempt to put a multiplication factor on better sound, as in "sounds twice as good" or "sounds more than twice as good".  Better I can understand.

Steve
Hi Steve,
if numbers and percentage are used, it's to make it easier to understand
than better, best, light years ahead. etc...
Guy 13.

Guy 13

Let's say a significant enough jump that you feel the trade is worth the money...

Whether you're going from a 300 dollar player to a 600 dollar player or there's another
zero or two on the end. I think no matter what level you're listening, it's hard to think
about writing the check unless you're getting a lot more music.
Hi, well said.
If you pay more, you should get more.
How much more ? Well that's up to you to decide...
Guy 13.

Guy 13

And no offense, but there have really been a disproportionate level of posts on the Niteshade threads that are against spending money on higher end gear....
Hi.
Does this forum have quotas or limits ? ? ?
I thought we could share freely our opinions on audio stuff at Audio Circle ? ? ?
It's not a matter of being against spending money on higher end gear, it's a matter of : Is it justify to spend so much money on something that for most, gives us little in return, but little is very relative and different for each person. I am only trying to share with all of you my opinion, being right or wrong, that's my problem, don't you think so ? ? ?
Guy 13. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Hi Guy,

You'll be surprised how your opinion will change once you actually have a truck load of money. :)

How's the weather in VN?
Hi Rollo.
Even if I had a truck load of money to buy the 10,000 USD+ interconnects, I would not do it, because to me, it does not make sense to buy something that is just a little better than... Well, let say : than a 500 USD interconnects.
I call it common sense... You call it whatever you want !
Guy 13

Guy 13

People can be opposed to something because of a lack of information. Some people believe that if something costs over a certain amount it has to be bogus, the claims are hot air. On the other hand, we have the other crowd that believes if something doesn't cost enough that it just HAS to be garbage.

Reason: As stated earlier: A lack of understanding, information.

On the flip side: We have a third group who knows precisely what they want and why. They're not out there to just get rid of their cash, they know what it will take to the the job properly. 

As far as people congregating here that oppose high priced gear, it's not because of me- at least I don't believe so. Our equipment has a broad range of prices and abilities and our median price is about the same as the other manufacturers on AC.

What would it mean if folks congregated here or anywhere to say low priced gear is junk? It's as broad and meaningless an assumption as saying all high end gear is superior.
Hi Blair and others...
The above is well said.
If I gave you an order for a Niteshade Audio amplifier (SE15) it because I am sure I am getting good value for what I am paying.
The new engraved front plate on your amplifier is a little extra that will make your next amplifiers better looking, because up to a certain point, the look of an item as some influence on what you think of a products, it's some chemistry in yor brain that does that.
But for me, with or without the new engraved front plate makes no difference, the sound of the amplifier is what it's all about.
Wide choice, but not too many models to confuse potential buyers.
Affordable prices, when you really do your homework in comparing apple with apple.
Guy 13.

Guy 13

Hmm.  That's one of the biggest drawbacks I've see with Niteshade.  Sorry Blair but it's true.  Your timeframe is always very long.  I've heard about a demo tour for probably almost a year now....
Hi all.
Please give Blair a chance (Unless I am wrong) he's a one man show business.
(Chief, cook and bottle washer...)
I understand Blair's position, for the last 40 years, I have been myself doing business all by myself... And I love it.
No boss to tell me what to do and to push me.
Guy 13.

Guy 13

Most small (micro) manufacturers have lower prices because they sell direct, with no distributor and dealer markups, not because they skip on servicing their customers - on the contrary, thanks to low marketing budzet, happy customers are critical to making a small company succeed...
Hi.
You also forgot to mention the overhead.
No overhead, they operate from their house and or garage or a small place. No employees or only one or two.
Rarely a business owner will not give good service to his customers, because if he give bad after sales service, he will go out of business very quicky.
I know, I have built my buisness on good aftersales service, something, my competitors were not doing 15 years ago. Now their are more or less copying me...
Guy 13.

rajacat

• Washington State
More $$$$ doesn't guarantee that you'll have better sounding gear. I'd much rather patronize  cottage industry audio gear manufactures thereby bypassing retail outlets. The overhead dollars that might have been wasted on a storefront can be used for the development and manufacture of the gear. You get more for the money. :thumb: But better value isn't the only reason, I also like the opportunity to actually talk to the designer/builder. Retail outlets offer only the salesman whom I often find heavy handed and irritating. Even on AC, I'm put off by used car salesman type pitches.   

In addition, just like in the corporate world, the smaller more nimble businesses can change more quickly to new ideas and are quite often the incubators of cutting edge ideas.

-Roy
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2010, 02:06 pm by rajacat »

Guy 13

More $$$$ doesn't guarantee that you'll have better sounding gear. I'd much rather patronize  cottage industry audio gear manufactures thereby bypassing retail outlets. The overhead dollars that might have been wasted on a storefront can be used for the development and manufacture of the gear. You get more for the money. :thumb: But better value isn't the only reason, I also like the opportunity to actually talk to the designer/builder. Retail outlets offer only the salesman whom I often find heavy handed and irritating. Even on AC, I'm put off by used car salesman type pitches.   

In addition, just like in the corporate world, the smaller more nimble businesses can change more quickly to new ideas and are quite often the incubators cutting edge ideas.

-Roy
Hi Roy.
I agree 200%+ with you.
Guy 13.

TONEPUB

Hi.
Each person is entitle to his own opinion, based on his own or other experience.
May I say that I don't agree with you.
But, that's my opinion for what's it's worth.
Guy 13.

Unless you've had a lot of seat time with a lot of CD players at that price point, your opinion isn't worth much.

While I haven't heard everything, I've heard a lot.  There are some areas of overlap and certainly
manufacturers at the higher end of the spectrum add better casework to the mix, but that doesn't throw the
price all that much.  A $30,000 Burmester power amp would probably cost $28,000 in a less elaborate case.  And
honestly for that kind of dough, I want it to look great and sound great as well.

Fortunately, there's room for everyone.  If you just want performance and nothing else, there are a handful
of manufacturers that offer the no frills approach as well as going the DIY route.

I don't have anything against the cottage industry builders, but the money they save by going direct, they lose
in purchasing power.  The capacitors that Conrad Johnson or ARC pays 30 dollars each, cost the guy buying very
small quantities 250 each, and so it goes with a lot of the other parts. And a one man shop still has to keep the
doors open.  We were a three man shop when I started TONE and at that point I spent almost NO time on business
development.  Now that I have a staff, I can spend a lot more time on that aspect of the business.

The small, cottage companies don't have that much money for research either.  Prototypes cost money, and
you can only build so much stuff that doesn't work before you are leaking money like mad.  MartinLogan built
30 prototype pairs of CLX's before they finalized the design.  Meridian has a whole department just dedicated
to raw research, trying to push the envelope of the technologies they use, and another department to turn those
discoveries into product.

Again, there's nothing wrong with the cottage builders and it doesn't mean they don't build competent products,
but they are pretty challenged at making any radical innovations, because that usually means having a pretty
fair amount of cash flow.  A small shop consisting of one or two people can only do so much.  A perfect example
of this is Dan Wright at Modwright.  Back when he was a one man shop, he did a few mods and built the 9.0
preamp which was very good, but nothing else.  Now that he's had success and has plowed a lot of money back
into his business, added a facility and employees, he's got a full product range and is developing new products
on a regular basis.  But that 9.0 went from $1500 to $3500 over the course of about seven years.  And his products
are of a higher quality, technical complexity and in nicer casework than when he started out.  It's inevitable.

My job is to investigate.  We cover equipment from the bargain basement all the way up to the most expensive
stuff money can buy. Again, just because you don't want to make the investment, doesn't mean this stuff isn't
any good. I've always spent a disproportionate amount of money on my stereo system all my life, because that was my priority.

I don't expect anyone else to be as obsessed as I am.  And trust me, If I could get the sound that I've spent six
figures on for five or ten thousand dollars, I'd do it in a heartbeat, so I could have an Aston Martin.  But the good stuff
is truly good and just like the best cars, watches, scotch, you name it, if you want things at that level, you've got
to get your checkbook out.  My next door neighbor has almost 20 thousand dollars invested in his bicycle, that's
what he's into. I ride an old Bianchi that I bought from him for 600 bucks and I'm perfectly happy, yet I appreciate
his obsession.

That doesn't mean you can't have fun all along the way and it doesn't mean you have to spend six figures to
enjoy music.  It's always a blast to find something really great that doesn't cost a ton of money and you can
certainly do a great job at cheating the market by making some very strategic used purchases.

The best parts cost a lot of money, as does the time taken to hand match components, hand assembly by
highly skilled workers, rigorous testing and R&D. That's where the bulk of the cost of the best components
comes in.

My experience has always been that people that don't want to go there, more often than not try to make
themselves feel better by being dismissive.  I'll probably never get that Aston Martin DBS, but that doesn't
make it any less awesome just because I can't have one.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
I can sum up why 6-digit price high end gear can sound so very,very good: Designing amplifier circuits that are transparent, low noise and extremely high resolution is difficult. After a while physical constants such as thermal noise become an issue as well as many other things. Precision is costly and justifiably so. The important thing when purchasing high end electronics is to find out why it costs so much. Does it entail special circuitry and components? How well can it resolve signals accurately?

Many audio enthusiasts are not technical and manufacturers want to avoid the 'deer in the headlights' syndrome. Information required to make a well informed purchasing decision is lost. As a result, dupes come into the picture radiating eye candy and expensive components that do not always operate as anticipated, throwing the high end market into the snake oil category.

Guy 13

I can sum up why 6-digit price high end gear can sound so very,very good: Designing amplifier circuits that are transparent, low noise and extremely high resolution is difficult. After a while physical constants such as thermal noise become an issue as well as many other things. Precision is costly and justifiably so. The important thing when purchasing high end electronics is to find out why it costs so much. Does it entail special circuitry and components? How well can it resolve signals accurately?

Many audio enthusiasts are not technical and manufacturers want to avoid the 'deer in the headlights' syndrome. Information required to make a well informed purchasing decision is lost. As a result, dupes come into the picture radiating eye candy and expensive components that do not always operate as anticipated, throwing the high end market into the snake oil category.

Well said Blair.
Guy 13.

Nick77

Fortunately, there's room for everyone.  If you just want performance and nothing else, there are a handful
of manufacturers that offer the no frills approach as well as going the DIY route.

Jeff i felt your post was right on, if i had a 100k to spend on a system i probably would. But like you mentioned their are no frills approach that i am very thankful for. I have found diy to get me where i have some pretty decent sound including building a Pass B1 buffer for instance that sounds fantastic, and like Guy GR Research speakers.

But i have recently been able to sample some higher priced interconnects as part of a Wywire beta program. They replaced some decent Audioart ic's and i am TOTALLY blown away at the level of improvement. I had no idea a premium cable could have such a profound effect, the cable upgrade was more akin to a componant upgrade.
Anyway it has given me a glimpse into $$$ hifi and i like what i am hearing alot. Now i cant help but think adding a more expensive componant or two would take me to a level i would have never thought was obtainable.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
People make different value judgments and have different approaches to determining worth.  Additionally, when you starting kicking around costs of over six figures for a system you have to keep in mind the population of people you are talking about who could buy one.  Based on US income statistics for 2006, only 6.24% of Americans had individual incomes of over $100,000 per year.

A subset of that small group of people will be audiophiles, and an even small number of those will truly see value in high-end gear.  So from where I sit a disproportionately high amount of the discourse on forums such as this and in the audio press is about some of the most expensive gear on the market.  Perhaps the reason we as a group are so fixated on price is because we simply haven't found a more meaningful way to discuss equipment.  But too often people talk about how much things costs rather than how they sound.  While I haven't heard as much gear as reviewer does, it is my personal experience that more money doesn't necessarily mean better sound...it may just mean better designed.

I won't make a change to my system looking for "better sound."  However, I will make a change to solve a problem or overcome a perceived weakness in my system.

--Jerome

rajacat

• Washington State
Why is it that so many audio show attendees leave with the impression that much of  the ultra expensive gear is not only obscenely overpriced but also very disappointing in sound quality? On these pages I've read many accounts of speakers that are multiples cheaper than the high priced spread perform better under audio show conditions.

I suppose you could claim that the high priced speakers need a highly tweaked man cave to really show their colors but IMO for 20 grand + they should sound awesome at the show or it leads me to conclude either the manufactures are clueless about room preparation  or they're trying to pull the wool over the eyes of potential customers who are overly impressed by cosmetics and high price tags.

-Roy