Poll

Please pick one from Part A and one from Part B

A. Main system: two-channel only
23 (26.1%)
A. Main system: hybrid two-channel and HT
6 (6.8%)
A. Main system: HT system (but can still play 2-channel)
2 (2.3%)
A. Two main systems: One 2-channel and one HT
22 (25%)
B. No additional/second systems
3 (3.4%)
B. One additional system
20 (22.7%)
B. Two additional systems
4 (4.5%)
B. Three or more additional systems
5 (5.7%)
B. I'd rather watch Giada cook
3 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: 8 Jul 2010, 11:54 am

How many / what type of systems do you want?

JohnR

How many / what type of systems do you want?
« on: 1 Jul 2010, 10:06 am »
Just curious - what kind of and how many systems would you want to have if you could?

Big Red Machine

Re: How many / what type of systems do you want?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2010, 11:01 am »
I'm fortunate to have 2 channel and an HT separately.  I'd love to have more Salk speakers in the house especially the new, maybe never to happen 2 way with the Raal. 

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2010, 11:39 am »
This is based on want not have.  I have separate HT and 2 channel systems so I am good there.  I voted for B1.

I would like (want) to have a third system with tubes/low wattage SS and appropriate efficient speakers with decent low end.  I think I could move in and out of low cost equipment, diy, vintage, etc. and get into the real equipment junkie aspect of this hobby.

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2010, 11:52 am »
I missed out part B and cannot edit the options =S
Anyway, I voted for :

A : 2 Channel and HT separately
B : One extra system with 1.5-3Watt SET class A valve amp with 97dB 3 way fullrange speakers.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2010, 11:55 am »
I missed out part B and cannot edit the options

Oops... sorry about that, you should now be able to remove your vote and revote if you wish.

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2010, 11:59 am »
thanx ..all good!

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2010, 02:50 pm »
Is this poll asking what systems we would like to have, working on or already have?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2010, 02:59 pm »
Like Pete (BRM), I am also fortunate enough to have a main HT in our family room, a dedicated 2ch in my office/music room, and a small HT in our bedroom.

On top of that, both of our sons has their own 2ch in their bedrooms.

JackD201

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2010, 03:05 pm »
A system in every room hooked up to a central music server that can be controlled with my phone.

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2010, 04:25 pm »
I live in a small house so a dual purpose stereo/HT system works very well for me.
My wood shop has the pretty good stereo, each time I upgrade at home the old equipment gets recycled into the shop.

Wayne

bunnyma357

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2010, 04:43 pm »
What we currently have -

1 - A nice 2 Ch. set-up
2 - A nice HT set-up
3 - A nice home computer/work system
4 - A nice family room 2 Ch. System
5 - A decent Living Room 2 Ch. System
6 - 3 cheap 2 Ch. Systems for Bedrooms and Garage/Workshop
7 - A boombox for the bathroom or outdoors.
8 - A nice office 2 Ch. computer/work system at the company where I work

I'm a person who wants to have music everywhere - currently we have 9 systems at home and 1 at work that are actively used.

Jim C

casarman

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2010, 04:48 pm »
I`ll like to have a SET 211 or 845 tube based two channel system with maggie`s in a small intimate listening room.
For what matters I`m happy with my actual systems now!
Armando

ctviggen

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2010, 05:03 pm »
I'd like to have a dedicated two-channel, tube-based system, and a "good" (processor, set of amps, good but not great speakers) HT system. 

I have a single system that does both two channel and HT.  I have a second system that is also pretty good (Linn speakers, Proceed preamp, Bryston 5-channel amp).  I have a third system of Creek amp and Mirage speakers.

I also have speakers on the deck and in the garage, and have the speakers for the kitchen and bedroom.  Not sure if this is another system, as technically these are run from the Bryston.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 2 Jul 2010, 01:18 pm »
I have the main audio (2 channel) rig in the mancave which also doubles as my office.  From the office chair I'm directly in-line with traditional "far field" position verses nearfield in "The" listening chair.  No need for computer audio.

We have a fairly modest 5.1 HT system in the family room that includes speakers from a previous audio system and a simple (receiver/CD player) stereo system that rarely gets used in the living room which was my old audio rig.

Sorry, mis-read the title...

I suppose the number/type of systems ideally would depend on the home.  I have no interest in a bathroom, bedroom, kitchen TV/stereo.  For me it'd be ideal to have very big, separate, and dedicated rooms for both listening (2-channel) and HT.
« Last Edit: 2 Jul 2010, 04:37 pm by JLM »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #14 on: 2 Jul 2010, 01:36 pm »
I have a dedicated 2 channel and HT systems and I am very happy.

I had other 2 channel systems in addition to my main 2 channel system, but found that I rarely (if ever) listened to it.  While the concept of having different systems with different strengths sounds really good, I found that it didn't quite work for me.

George

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jul 2010, 01:42 pm »
Is this poll asking what systems we would like to have, working on or already have?

Like to have, was the intent :) Realistically, I mean.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul 2010, 01:46 pm »

turkey

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jul 2010, 01:58 pm »
I have a 2 channel system that I use for music and for watching DVDs. I've experienced surround systems at various times, but I find that I'm perfectly happy with my 2 channel setup.

For the rest of the house I find that just a plain TV, or a table radio (I have an old Heathkit table radio in the kitchen), or a boombox in the garage are just fine. I have an iPod that I won at a trade show, but I don't even know where it is now. The stock car radio is fine, especially since I listen to mostly NPR in the car anyway.

I suppose if I had more money and a larger house I might want to setup a dedicated home theater room, but I don't really spend that much time watching TV anyway, so it would sit idle a lot. I would be more likely to setup some sort of library or other room for reading instead.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jul 2010, 03:02 pm »
I've got the best 2 channel system I can afford.   A surround system wouldn't sound optimal in my living room due to the room's physical layout (nothing I can control - I rent).   

A great dealer steered my away from HT a while back when I was trying to put together my first 'real' system.  He asked what I watched and what my budget was.   I could have afforded an entry level Arcam HT system and a Totem speaker setup which sounded great, but it wasn't my best option.  I watch sitcoms, comedies, and sports.  Not much special effects or serious surround info there. 

I bought an NAD and PSB 2 channel system that sounded better for music and my video needs.   Better to spend your money on two great channels rather than 5.1 mediocre channels IMO.   Not that the Arcam/Totem combo sounded bad at all.   I got higher NAD and PSB gear that I could have afforded with Arcam and Totem.   And I saved a few bucks too. 

I've moved on from that system, but the principal is the same - buy the best and least complicated gear I can for my budget.   I'm so much happier with my Bryston/Rega/Audio Physic 2 channel system that I'd ever be with a similarly priced 5.1 system.   

My system resides in my mancave that includes a nice flat screen TV, Xbox 360, and 2 comfy chairs.  It doubles as my workout room (Total Gym machine tucked away when not in use). 

My living room has a TV with no stereo hooked up to it.  I've contemplated hooking up a 2 channel system to it, but I'd rather put that money into my main rig and/or buy more music.   My wife could care less about a stereo in the living room.  The computer and stock speakers that came with it are more than enough for her background listening.   

When I move, if I to combine the main rig with the living room system, there won't be any serious issues.   If I need to consolidate, the Naim Uniti may very well fit the bill.  It sounds great too.   

Nuance

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jul 2010, 04:46 pm »
Two separate systems, with one being music only and the other being a dedicated home theater.  It'll never happen, but I can dream.