The delivery truck came!

Kwebb

The delivery truck came!
« on: 30 Jun 2010, 10:39 pm »
The truck came last Friday (6-25-2010) at 10:00AM in the morning and unloaded 2 pallets in my garage.  I spent the next 6+ hours unpacking and setting things up (I took the day off of work).

This system is a 5.1 system comprising of a pair of HT2-TL mains, an HT2C, a pair of HT1 rears (configured  in Ellis 1801 stand mount cabinets 9” by 19” by 14”), and a Salk Rhythmic Servo 15 sub.  I also had Jim fabricate the speaker stands for the HTC & HT1’s.

Unpacking is quite an ordeal with this many components.  I took my time to set up everything including assembly of the speaker stands and positioned the speaker in my room without any issues or accidents.

I hooked up the speaker to the amp and began the process of configuring the system on my preamp. My system components are:

CD Source:  Cary Audio Design CD306 SACD
DVD Source:  Arcam FMJ DV139
Preamp:  Anthem Statement D2 with ARC (Anthem Room Correction)
Amp:  Anthem Statement P5, 5 channel mono-blocks ,  rated at 500 w/channel at 4 ohms (675 w at 2 ohms)

I took about an hour and a half to get the system configured to where I could begin listening to sources with all of the channel and source setup routines that i had to perform.  These Salk speakers replace the Onix Reference 3’s that I had before.

I started out listening with two channel mode using direct analog pass through of the CD source material through the Anthem Statement D2 preamp without processing.  I listened too many of my favorite disks and quickly discovered that I wanted to listen to every disk I have allover again because it sounded so much better and so much more revealing.  Rather than have me try to describe the sound like so many others can do much better than I can (like describing the unique taste of $1000 a bottle wine) I will just say that the sound exceeded my best expectations.

I spent the weekend tweaking the system, performed the wonder Anthem room correction process, played with the Rhythmic servo 15 sub (I love it!) and got it integrated seamlessly into 2 channel and 5.1 surround modes.   The sub has all the thump I want for home theater duties (to problem).

My listening room is 22’ wide 24’ long 16’ high with two open walls (think of a slightly rectangular cube with two adjacent sides opened up).   It’s a tough room to tame because of the size along with the stone floors.  The Anthem room correction does a wonderful job on it.  Two channel play with subwoofer gives the best pure sound quality.

I have lived with this new HT2-TL sound system now for almost a week and every day I discover a new virtue about the way they deliver music.  I love these speakers and can highly recommend them.  My world is a better place now.

Kyle

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: The delivery truck came!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2010, 10:45 pm »
Congrats Kyle on what sounds like a stellar system, and 'Welcome' to the Salk family. Now as you must know pictures are obligatory, and don't forget the truck (optional, but desired).  :thumb:

Happy rediscovery of your entire library of music.  :guitar: :drums:

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2010, 11:10 pm »
Kyle - that is too cool man!  Welcome to the Salk family; I'm very happy for you.  I felt the same way when I got my Salk's; wanted to listen to every CD I had all over again.  Heck, I still feel that way, and its been about 2 years since I took delivery.  This hobby is too fun!

Oh, almost forgot:

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2010, 11:11 pm »
Sounds sweet, Kyle.  Yes, be sure to post some pics.  :D

rahimlee54

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2010, 11:18 pm »
Sounds good sir, enjoy some tunes.  I did a little earlier myself.  :thumb:

Kwebb

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2010, 12:37 am »
Ok, here are some pictures starting with the truck:

off the truck:

and into the garage:

You can appreciate the size of the room in this next picture

more:

one more:

one last picture showing one of the stand mount HT1's from the rear;

and far away shot of the HT1's from the front:

TJHUB

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2010, 12:40 am »
Nice pics!  And way to keep the FedEx truck pics alive.  :thumb:

HAITIMAN

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2010, 01:01 am »
Christmas in June. :xmas:

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2010, 01:22 am »
Wow - nice setup.  I really love your room.  I want one that size; so much potential.

Kwebb

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2010, 01:39 am »
Yes, its a big room and an echo nightmare.  I am getting a monster rug (12' by 16' with thick pad) and heavy draps very soon (new house) and this should help considerably.  Its kind of how the room was described at the latest audio fest in DC.  A lot hard surfaces and big volumes make for lots of echos.  Anthem room correction does miracles with this room.

kyle 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2010, 01:43 am »
Now that's a truck !  :o  Beautiful room, even if it is a beast to tame.  8)

billmcc

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2010, 01:54 am »
Kyle,

Your speakers look awesome :). What finish is that? To have the equipment to go along with Salks makes it even better. One suggestion is if you could mount your display on an articulating mount higher up in that alcove. That way the display is not blocked by the left speaker. That way you could eliminate the TV stand as well if it is not needed.

Bill

Mudslide

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2010, 04:47 am »
Carlsbad is gonna be rockin'!  The setup looks wonderful, and I'll wager sounds even better.   :thumb:

Many congrats, Kwebb!

ricardojoa

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2010, 05:26 pm »
The truck came last Friday (6-25-2010) at 10:00AM in the morning and unloaded 2 pallets in my garage.  I spent the next 6+ hours unpacking and setting things up (I took the day off of work).

This system is a 5.1 system comprising of a pair of HT2-TL mains, an HT2C, a pair of HT1 rears (configured  in Ellis 1801 stand mount cabinets 9” by 19” by 14”), and a Salk Rhythmic Servo 15 sub.  I also had Jim fabricate the speaker stands for the HTC & HT1’s.

Unpacking is quite an ordeal with this many components.  I took my time to set up everything including assembly of the speaker stands and positioned the speaker in my room without any issues or accidents.

I hooked up the speaker to the amp and began the process of configuring the system on my preamp. My system components are:

CD Source:  Cary Audio Design CD306 SACD
DVD Source:  Arcam FMJ DV139
Preamp:  Anthem Statement D2 with ARC (Anthem Room Correction)
Amp:  Anthem Statement P5, 5 channel mono-blocks ,  rated at 500 w/channel at 4 ohms (675 w at 2 ohms)

I took about an hour and a half to get the system configured to where I could begin listening to sources with all of the channel and source setup routines that i had to perform.  These Salk speakers replace the Onix Reference 3’s that I had before.

I started out listening with two channel mode using direct analog pass through of the CD source material through the Anthem Statement D2 preamp without processing.  I listened too many of my favorite disks and quickly discovered that I wanted to listen to every disk I have allover again because it sounded so much better and so much more revealing.  Rather than have me try to describe the sound like so many others can do much better than I can (like describing the unique taste of $1000 a bottle wine) I will just say that the sound exceeded my best expectations.

I spent the weekend tweaking the system, performed the wonder Anthem room correction process, played with the Rhythmic servo 15 sub (I love it!) and got it integrated seamlessly into 2 channel and 5.1 surround modes.   The sub has all the thump I want for home theater duties (to problem).

My listening room is 22’ wide 24’ long 16’ high with two open walls (think of a slightly rectangular cube with two adjacent sides opened up).   It’s a tough room to tame because of the size along with the stone floors.  The Anthem room correction does a wonderful job on it.  Two channel play with subwoofer gives the best pure sound quality.

I have lived with this new HT2-TL sound system now for almost a week and every day I discover a new virtue about the way they deliver music.  I love these speakers and can highly recommend them.  My world is a better place now.

Kyle

congratulations to your new speakers, they look amazing!
Could you share your view between the bass of the HTL2 and HTL2 with rythmik?

Kwebb

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2010, 08:48 pm »
ricardojoa,

Regarding HT2-TL's playing with & without the Salk Rhythmic Servo 15 subwoofer:  First off the HT2-TL's go down deeper than I would have ever expected.  32 - 34hz is strong and present even in my monster room.  The Rhythmic subwoofer is so versatile by design (many different system setup selection modes) that you can integrate it in to the HT2-TL's in two channel mode seamlessly (like Jim says if you can tell where the sub is located from the sound you need to turn it down) or tailor it you your own desires. 

When playing it seamlessly in two channel mode the bass extension is better and more prominent at lower frequency levels but I can't consider the difference as a "must have" difference because the HT2-TL's can through down deep base.  What you hear is of course it is dependent on the music source selection.  Try the first cut on the "Ultimate Kenny G" album or CD Titled "Everlasting" if you want to hear and feel some really good smooth base.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Kenny-G/dp/B000099SYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278015927&sr=8-1

In home theater mode or 6 channel mode the base is always better with a subwoofer because that is the way the media is designed to play.  I watch movies with the 6 channel analog mode:  I feed the video image straight to the 1080 display and route the 6 channel analog straight into the 6 channel analog inputs on my Anthem Statement D2 preamp processor and it sounds marvelous.

Knowing what I know now would I still get the Salk Rhythmic Servo 15 with the HT2-TL base system?  In my case that is easy: Yes, it provide me with more options and verticality with the pre-amp system set up that I have.

The one area I am considering to upgrade on my system is the 2 channel set up.  I am considering getting a dedicated pre-amp (AvaStar) and amp (FET Valve + double diode 350) and use it when I want listen to 2 channel media.  I would still use the HT2-TL’s and Sub and just switch speaker wires in for the 2 channel listening as needed.

ricardojoa

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jul 2010, 09:03 pm »
Thanks Kwebb!

bryede

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul 2010, 11:10 am »
Am I the only one thinking, "That garage is way too clean"?

:o

Advent75

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jul 2010, 04:22 pm »
"The one area I am considering to upgrade on my system is the 2 channel set up.  I am considering getting a dedicated pre-amp (AvaStar) and amp (FET Valve + double diode 350) and use it when I want listen to 2 channel
media.  I would still use the HT2-TL’s and Sub and just switch speaker wires in for the 2 channel listening as needed."

Suggestion: Investigate Pre-Amp w/HT by-pass (or confirm if your AvaStar pref has HT by-pass). This Pre-Amp feature would be helpful relating to switching speaker wires.

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jul 2010, 04:36 pm »

Suggestion: Investigate Pre-Amp w/HT by-pass (or confirm if your AvaStar pref has HT by-pass). This Pre-Amp feature would be helpful relating to switching speaker wires.

+1

divisionbell77

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jul 2010, 02:07 pm »
The P5 is supposed to be a beast of an amp, I would look more into the preamp with HT bypass.  i hear the Parasound 2100 is an excellent choice for its price, and can be found used for around $400 on audiogon.