Salk/AVA Home Theater

Bigload

Salk/AVA Home Theater
« on: 26 Jun 2010, 03:13 pm »
Finally got all the pieces to my puzzle and posted a few pics in my gallery.  My AVA Insight+DD amps arrived yesterday and I got them hooked up with my Salks and I am simply astounded.   My ears are either not good enough to find fault or there is none to find.  It truly makes for a "live performance" experience without the parking hassle!  This whole thing started for me about 6 months ago with advise from folks on Audio Circle.  You guys did cost me some cash, but all of the advise was excellent.  I thank you.

rahimlee54

Re: Salk/AVA Home Theater
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2010, 03:42 pm »
Looks good enjoy it :thumb:.

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2010, 03:52 pm »
Looks amazing!  Welcome to the Salk family.  Now go shake that house with some tunes and movies. :)

funkmonkey

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2010, 04:07 pm »
Looks great, would you mind posting some more pictures of your HT1-TLs?  hard to tell from the one pic in your gallery but it looks like a front ported version.  Other folks may be interested in seeing this as well.

Cheers

Bigload

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2010, 05:38 pm »
Sure.  I will be glad to.  Will be later today or this evening.  They (the HT1TL's) are indeed front ported.  Since I am using them as surrounds and the room somewhat demanded they be pushed back into a corner, Jim made the suggestion and it was a good one.

Bigload

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2010, 07:17 pm »
Looks great, would you mind posting some more pictures of your HT1-TLs?  hard to tell from the one pic in your gallery but it looks like a front ported version.  Other folks may be interested in seeing this as well.

Cheers

OK.  Got a few more posted of the HT1TL front ports.  Hope that helps.  Sorry about the poor photography skills!

funkmonkey

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2010, 07:27 pm »
OK.  Got a few more posted of the HT1TL front ports.  Hope that helps.  Sorry about the poor photography skills!

=) thanks...  No apologies needed.  I just wanted to highlight their uniqueness.  :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2010, 12:22 am »
Very unique indeed.  Too cool!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2010, 11:39 am »
UPDATE: Whats that little yellow thing in the picture?

WOW!

What a nice setup, real MAN cave stuff!!

All the best!

Alex
 :eyebrows: :eyebrows:
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2010, 03:04 pm by adydula »

sarge_in

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2010, 04:44 pm »
That's one sweet setup! Congrats!! One suggestion - seeing the amount you have invested in this, a projector at some point would make this even more of a theater!

Bigload

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2010, 03:33 am »
UPDATE: Whats that little yellow thing in the picture?

WOW!

What a nice setup, real MAN cave stuff!!

All the best!

Alex
 :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

That yellow thing is my other bad habit.  However, it has been collecting dust lately.  It sounds too good in the house now to leave.

Bigload

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2010, 03:44 am »
That's one sweet setup! Congrats!! One suggestion - seeing the amount you have invested in this, a projector at some point would make this even more of a theater!

Thanks very much for all of the comments. 

I thought some about a projector.  I was just not sure about the physical configuration in my room.  I know some of them do a really nice job too.  Maybe when my Pro 151FD kicks the bucket, I will look at projectors a little harder than I did last time.  For now though, I am completely satisfied with the Pioneer plasma and I don't have to stress about how to make it fit in my room. 

mchuckp

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2010, 05:44 am »
Looking good!  Have you considered acoustic treatments now that you seem to be totally set on gear?  After a LONG time of putting it off I finally took the plunge a few months back.  Biggest difference in sound for me behind buying my songtowers.

ctviggen

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2010, 11:17 am »
Thanks very much for all of the comments. 

I thought some about a projector.  I was just not sure about the physical configuration in my room.  I know some of them do a really nice job too.  Maybe when my Pro 151FD kicks the bucket, I will look at projectors a little harder than I did last time.  For now though, I am completely satisfied with the Pioneer plasma and I don't have to stress about how to make it fit in my room.

That room looks tough for a projector.  The sloped ceiling isn't going to make it an easy fit. 

How far apart are the speakers?  Have you tried moving them in?  (Or is that impossible with the gear setup?) 

Bigload

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2010, 12:39 am »
Looking good!  Have you considered acoustic treatments now that you seem to be totally set on gear?  After a LONG time of putting it off I finally took the plunge a few months back.  Biggest difference in sound for me behind buying my songtowers.

Yes.  I have ordered 56 sq ft of acoustic panels from ATS acoustics.  They should be here Friday.  Can't wait to see what happens.  Thanks.

Bigload

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jul 2010, 12:55 am »
That room looks tough for a projector.  The sloped ceiling isn't going to make it an easy fit. 

How far apart are the speakers?  Have you tried moving them in?  (Or is that impossible with the gear setup?)

The speakers are about 2.5 feet out from each side of the TV and that ends up making then almost 10 feet apart from each other.  I have experimented with them being closer in and it just did not work well for my room configuration.  It was actually more an issue of looks.  I want to keep the speakers at least 2ft away from the wall and if I move them next to the TV, it looks like they are sticking out into the middle of the room (across the line of scrimage) with the other gear behind them.  And they blocked the side view of the TV.  So.... they ended up in the double split end positions and the sub and the rack took the tackle positions.  I will have to make that work as long as I live in this house.  Good thought though!  Thanks.

HAITIMAN

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jul 2010, 01:07 am »
Your system is beautifully integrated. Money well spent!

Bigload

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jul 2010, 03:13 am »

Got my acoustic panels mounted.  Sounds great.  I am pleased.  However, not a huge night and day difference in my room, but still a nice improvement.  I particularly notice that vocals are now very, very clean.  No boominess left whatsoever.  I guess nothing left to do now but listen.  I am sure I will think of a "need" before long though.

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jul 2010, 03:21 am »
Wow, that looks to be an amazing room!  Congrats on a job well done.

Mudslide

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jul 2010, 03:35 am »
Here's an internet wolf-whistle from the Mud.   :thumb:

Your room looks fantastic!  Nice job.