dayens ampino - hum?

johnnydarko

dayens ampino - hum?
« on: 25 Jun 2010, 09:35 am »
Got myself a Dayens Ampino and am pleased by its sure-footedness.  A good piece of budget hifi.

One question:  my unit exhibits a hum.  Slight, but still audible.  Does yours?

Thanks in advance (and apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place).

_______________________________________ _____________________

EDIT 2011:  This was diagnosed as a Transformer hum.  It didn't bug me too much once I knew it was more quirk than fault but the new owner of this particular Ampino has replaced the transformer (as well as the volume pot).
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 08:13 pm by johnnydarko »

lcrim

Re: dayens ampino - hum?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:00 pm »
No, I've had one for just under a year and have been using it with high efficiency, 95-96 dB speakers, dead silence.  I would contact the owner there Dejan Dobrin and ask his advice.  The web address:
http://www.dayens.rs/eng_about.html

johnnydarko

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:02 pm »
Thanks icrim.

I didn't explain myself properly I don't think.  I get a hum from the unit itself (not through the speakers).

Maybe it's a hum from the transformer?

No, I've had one for just under a year and have been using it with high efficiency, 95-96 dB speakers, dead silence.  I would contact the owner there Dejan Dobrin and ask his advice.  The web address:
http://www.dayens.rs/eng_about.html

lcrim

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:19 pm »
I am surprised that you are having this problem but wouldn't contacting Dayens or the north american importer be of more help than I could possibly be.

johnnydarko

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:41 pm »
I am surprised that you are having this problem but wouldn't contacting Dayens or the north american importer be of more help than I could possibly be.

Yes, agreed. But I also wished to see if this was the case from other users?  Apologies if it isn't appropriate to crowd source on this matter.

lcrim

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:02 pm »
My experience with this product has been overwhelmingly positive.  In addition to the review on 6Moons, I have been contacted by a few people who have the product and the unanimous opinion has been positive.  This is the first mention of hum w/ the Ampino I have heard.
If it were mine I would open it up and check to see if there is anything lose or rattling.
Good luck.

johnnydarko

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:24 pm »
I was trying to ascertain whether or not the hum I am experiencing is a fault or a "quirk"; particularly as the ampino sounds almost too good to be true!  :D

A quick google on my hum issue only yielded this: http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=117337&postcount=3

Often using fora such as ac is a quick and easy way of getting an answer (without troubling the manufacturer)? Anyway, I have followed your advice and emailed dayens. 

And thank you for letting me know that your unit does not hum..... 

My experience with this product has been overwhelmingly positive.  In addition to the review on 6Moons, I have been contacted by a few people who have the product and the unanimous opinion has been positive.  This is the first mention of hum w/ the Ampino I have heard.
If it were mine I would open it up and check to see if there is anything lose or rattling.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 08:08 pm by johnnydarko »

srb

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:29 pm »
If it is indeed transformer vibration hum, sometimes it can be remedied by loosening the bolt through the torroidal transformer, rotating the transformer a bit one way or the other (wire slack permitting), then retightening.

This was also the solution in a recent thread on ACI subwoofer transformer hum.

Steve

johnnydarko

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2010, 08:57 pm »
Steve, you're a legend - thank you!  :thumb: 

I'll report back on whether or not this works...

If it is indeed transformer vibration hum, sometimes it can be remedied by loosening the bolt through the torroidal transformer, rotating the transformer a bit one way or the other (wire slack permitting), then retightening.

This was also the solution in a recent thread on ACI subwoofer transformer hum.

Steve

johnnydarko

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2010, 10:01 pm »
OK.  Transformer bolt loosened, transformer rotated, transformer bolt tightened.  Still the hum remains.   Bugger.

srb

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2010, 10:29 pm »
Sorry, I was hoping that might work.  While you're waiting for a response from the manufacturer or importer, have you tried plugging it into a different AC circuit?  If there's not a different circuit available in the room, maybe you could use an extension cord plugged into a different circuit in another room.

Steve

johnnydarko

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2010, 11:00 pm »
Another solid tip - thank you. 

I have tried a few different power cables, including a cryo-d one, but the problems remains.   I'll take it to a mate's house a try it there.

Sorry, I was hoping that might work.  While you're waiting for a response from the manufacturer or importer, have you tried plugging it into a different AC circuit?  If there's not a different circuit available in the room, maybe you could use an extension cord plugged into a different circuit in another room.

Steve
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 08:08 pm by johnnydarko »

johnnydarko

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jun 2010, 01:37 am »
Someone with significantly more engineering experience than I has suggested that the transformer hum could be the result of running a 220vac-rated amp in a 240vac country (Australia).

Anyone know if the amp is 220? Or 230? Or 240?

(steve - the amp still hums on a different ac circuit, but kudos to you for your kind suggestions).

johnnydarko

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2010, 02:21 am »
For anyone interested, this is the response that I received from Dayens:

Dear John,

I have checked with Trafomatic Audio which are producing all transformers for us and hum can come from high input voltage.
Toroidal transformers used in our products are designed to work on AC voltages from 220 to 240V on European market (basic voltage is 230V).
Voltages above 240-245V are high and can cause mechanical hum like in your case.
Also, it is possible that DC component is higher than usual and that can cause mechanical hum in toroidal transformers.

None of the above will make you problems and you can use amplifier freely.

Please let me know if we can help you any further.

Best regards,

Zoran Dobrin

Dayens

I guess this hum is more quirk than fault.....and I can sleep easy. 
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 08:11 pm by johnnydarko »