Peachtree Idecco

chgolatin2

Peachtree Idecco
« on: 25 Jun 2010, 02:35 am »
I ordered the Idecco about 30 days ago and I finally was able to pick it up today, what a superb piece of equipment plus getting it cheaper than the original asking price was even better...  I don't know if $826 falls on the cheap and cheerful side but at the original asking price of $1,000 to me thats a steal~!  My Ipod and Iphone now sing so sweeeeet~ :eyebrows: :thumb:

pjchappy

Re: Peachtree Idecco
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2010, 03:15 am »
I've got the Nova.  Currently just using it as a pre-amp and USB DAC.  Very good stuff!

Paul

chgolatin2

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2010, 02:55 pm »
I was looking into the Nova but it didn't offer what the Idecco offered so I went with the Idecco one.  The only thing that I am missing is the extra power which I believe the Nova is 80 WPC VS 40WPC for the Idecco

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2010, 11:52 am »
So how would you compare the sound to other pieces you've had at home?

The Nova/i-Decco kit looks promising.  A very reasonable way to avoid the whole audio rat race expense/complication.  I don't have an iPod, but the option with lower price is attractive.

For better or worse (probably better) the power amp appears to be the weak link.  Note that the ratings are specified at 6 ohms (versus the standard 8 ohms).  Are all these pieces using chip amps?  (I thought they were limited to 40 watts/8 ohms.)  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of properly excuted chip amps (currently use Channel Island Audio VMB-1 monoblocks in my main rig).  But the power supply appears undersized and the reviews seem to agree.  This reminds me of the Advent receiver from the 70's.  A very over acheiving pre-amp, a practical tuner, reasonable build quality with a lackluster power amp.  Thankfully in these cases the power amp are separatable.  But all this does take away from the simple/integrated form.

OTOH I'm a believer in careful mating of power amps with speakers.   :o :lol: :oops:

chgolatin2

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2010, 10:17 pm »
Well, you can't really compete with music that is not compressed but this system does a good job with it's DAC, it doesn't use the Ipod's DAC it actually bypasses it with better electronics, etc.  The sound is absolutely beautiful~!  Now the unit is only 40 WPC and it doesn't power my VR2 speakers like I would like to but it does a decent job at it.  Overall I'm happy with the Idecco the only not so cool thing about it its the price  :roll:

srb

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2010, 10:25 pm »
Well, you can't really compete with music that is not compressed but this system does a good job with it's DAC, it doesn't use the Ipod's DAC it actually bypasses it with better electronics, etc.

It sounds like you are using lossy compressed files.  Why not use FLAC lossless compression files on your iPod?

Steve

johsti

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2010, 10:40 pm »

It sounds like you are using lossy compressed files.  Why not use FLAC lossless compression files on your iPod?

Steve

The ipod won't play FLAC, but you could use Apple lossless codec (ALAC) instead.