Do you go for the exotic, esoteric?

TONEPUB

Re: Do you go for the exotic, esoteric?
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jun 2010, 02:23 pm »
I couldn't agree with you more and this is a common thread on a lot of forums.  "If it's expensive and I can't afford it (or choose not to spend the money) it can't be any better than what I have."

It's like this with cars (evidence the Porsche comment), cameras, whatever.

A good friend of mine that is visiting for the week said at dinner last night, "I didn't buy my car or my stereo to impress anyone, I bought it for my own enjoyment."

I think that says it all. 

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #41 on: 24 Jun 2010, 02:32 pm »
Manufacturers often have several product lines. They can make ones for vendors as well as ones intended for direct sale. I see no reason to bash retailers, vendors, etc. In fact, it is best to have a separate retail line with different features & functions so that 'all bases' are covered.

There are several manufacturers who sell direct and have items in the $10K+ range. Just look on Audiogon. I believe there may even be a few here on AC. Google will pick up many as well. 

Why people answer as they do: Assuming that people who buy high ticket items are ignorant most of the time is inaccurate. Getting to the next level of performance is expensive! If someone wants the latest & greatest and can afford it, then it is well deserved. Having the means to do so is no easy feat and you can't take it with you....so enjoy!  Many answers had concerns about diminishing returns on investment. I believe those concerns are valid, but it may not always be the case. As the price of an item increases, there should be an aesthetic improvement. Detailing comes at a cost. We have a double edged sward: Unless something looks a certain way for a price, they will not purchase it. In order for it to look the way they believe it should, the price increases. In the world of high priced goods, a balance has to be made between performance & aesthetics.

*Scotty*

« Reply #42 on: 24 Jun 2010, 04:33 pm »
I see nothing wrong in spending as much as you want on this hobby. I only have a problem with the common perception in this hobby that spending more money on a piece of equipment guarantees superior performance. This perception is based on the assumption that the only thing standing in the way of a better performing piece of gear is the budget available to build it. This ignores the talent quotient or genius present in the designer of the equipment. More money spent does not automatically purchase the services of a more talented designer applied to building a better performing product. 
Scotty

Quiet Earth

« Reply #43 on: 24 Jun 2010, 06:25 pm »
The problem with this thread is not the topic, even though it is a personal matter that is difficult to debate.

The problem with the thread is that Nightshade is using the General Audio forum to propagate his business model.

A while back I asked if people wondered if there was too much dot com-ism in the audio pages. Do you think that posts are written to persuade you into buying stuff online? Most people didn't think so and the thread was moved to a place where nobody goes. I still think that the hype and excitement factor in audio forums are responsible for most of the stuff sold on Audiogon.

The stuff you buy because you keep going back into the store to hear again and again is the stuff you keep for a long time. Cost is only a consideration of your means and expendable income.

Now, back to the sale . . . .

lcrim

« Reply #44 on: 24 Jun 2010, 07:04 pm »
Quiet Earth:
Since you see this as inherently wrong and the forum is linked to the sale of goods, what do you see as the solution?
The hobby does have a material component.  Becoming more knowledgeable about what is available
can help one to keep costs down, I think. 
We can't even make a definition of what good sound is?  Its too individual.  Then to say that sound is the highest value becomes utterly meaningless.

Nightshade while pushing the envelope has not broken the rules.  He does seem to have a thicker skin than I do.

mfsoa

« Reply #45 on: 24 Jun 2010, 07:20 pm »
The problem with the thread is that Nightshade is using the General Audio forum to propagate his business model

He doesn't have 1734 posts for nuthin'  :wink:
-Mike

Quiet Earth

« Reply #46 on: 24 Jun 2010, 08:09 pm »
Larry, Nightshade, and all,

I like the internet for the obvious exchange of information and I have benefitted from it as much as anyone else has. It's like free school for everyone!  :thumb:

But,,,,,,,,,,,

Sometimes I see things that just don't seem right to me and I feel like I have to speak up.  I actually admire Nightshade for being an entrepreneur and I think he's a nice guy and all, but this thread was not created out of pure innocence. Other threads that tweak me are the hot capacitor of the week kind of threads which can only conclude with "add item to cart" so you can rip up a perfectly good piece of gear just to hear the flavor of the day.

That's all I'm sayin' . . . . . for now . . . . . . I think . . . . . use your brain . . . . . . do I offend???

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #47 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:50 am »
I don't think it is necessary to interpolate the meaning of anything I write. The very act of interpolation begs of error and should be avoided. If you want to know something- just ask me.

There is another thread with free flowing data regarding the cost and importance of components within a system. I was hoping to have an educated discussion paralleling that one, which is VERY interesting. I AM and still am going at this topic from a technical standpoint and NOT from a monetary one. Money is irrelevant in this topic. Unfortunately it had to be brought up as a means of differentiating products- but that is it.

It is a undeniable fact that high priced goods can be misunderstood since not too many people own them v.s. ones in the four digit price range. I believe it is a good discussion since some of us have possibly auditioned ultra-high end gear at shows, raves, etc...