ULTRA COMPACT - Gini LS3/5a or Silverline Minuet or...

Wind Chaser

Have not heard either of these.  The Minuets are smaller and smaller (to a point) is better.  Not willing to spend more, but less.  It's got to be cheap and it's got to be small, and it's got to sound decent.

12" x 7.5" x 6.25" The Gini LS3/5a is the biggest I'm willing to entertain.

9" x 5.5" x 7.25" The Silverline Minuet would be preferable for it's smaller size.

But how do they sound relative to one another?  Is there another ultra compact speaker no bigger than these for less than $600? 

Wind Chaser

Re: ULTRA COMPACT - Gini LS3/5a or Silverline Minuet or...
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2010, 02:46 am »
Nobody here has heard either of these two speakers?  Guess I'll just have to flip a coin? :dunno:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2010, 03:16 am »
Read a very positive revue of the Minuet's in an edition of The Audiophile Voice last year.  Ya might check their site and see if they have archives you can access(?).

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2010, 03:35 am »
I'm leaning towards the Minuet, but I did own the Kef version of the LS3/5a many years ago and liked them very much.  Stupid me I sold them for $200.  Anyhow, I know more less what to expect with the Gini but the Minuet is a bit of a mystery and there aren’t any Silverline dealers near me, let alone in Canada.

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2010, 04:13 am »
I have not heard the Gini, but I have heard the Minuet often.  It is a remarkably good little speaker--well balanced, and the bass it makes will make you grin.  I can't imagine anyone being disappointed by it, especially if you can find a used pair. 

Good luck.

Mathew_M

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2010, 05:45 am »
I'll second the Minuets.  I downsized to a smaller system and took a chance on the Minuets (got a great deal on a used pair).  I have paired them with a NAD 325BEE and I really like what I'm hearing.  As others have said, they sound "big" for their size and with the 325BEE they have bass and drive. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2010, 07:41 am »
I'll keep my eyes out for a used pair, preferably here in Canada.  I'm not too fussy, just looking for something less colored than my little ADS speakers.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2010, 11:49 am »
I heard the GINI at the AKFest in 2008 (with the matching subwoofers).  Really had the LS3/5a sound down, just less resolution.  These had a very pleasant, "toneful" presentation (great for all day long listening).

These speakers along with Hawthorne Silver Iris and a pair of $7,000 Fried speakers were the only "full range" speakers that sounded good in the nightmarish hotel rooms.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2010, 01:45 pm »
Thanks, Jeff.  My gut feeling is the Ginis might sound better, but you never know.  Having previously owned the Kef version of the LS3/5a, I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from them.  I think I'll post a wanted ad here in Canada and see what comes my way.  I'm sure the Minuets and Ginis are both good enough for casual listening.

Hey Jeff, are you still lusting after more power?  Will those tasty little CI mono blocks of yours need a new home?  :wink:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2010, 12:02 pm »
Just saw your reply.  Still lusting, but no plans for any near term changes.  I'll try to keep you in mind though.  (Best to send me a PM.)

face

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2010, 05:54 am »
Cambridge S30's are compact and sound very good for the money.