Who's using OR used Single Ended amplification?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: Who's using OR used Single Ended amplification?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jun 2010, 02:52 pm »
I think what happens is this: Someone discovers a weak link in their system. The component which is replaced is considered the most important part.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jul 2010, 01:47 pm »
How important are the preamps here?  I suppose a tube pre is a must? i hope this aint a hijack question?

My DAC has both single-ended and balanced outputs so while I started by running direct to my amp, I am adding a balanced tube preamp. My mini-Torii (single-ended 6V6) has 2 inputs so I plan to A/B direct vs. the tube pre (which uses 5687 and 7062).

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #22 on: 14 Jul 2010, 02:34 pm »
How important are the preamps here?  I suppose a tube pre is a must? i hope this aint a hijack question?

Well maybe. A neutral SS preamp can work quite well with SET amps. SET amps especially with a low input sensitivity work nicely with passive preamps. Try a Bent or Lightspeed. For a tubed Pre a CAT would be perfect. Neutral yet with all the tube glory of weight and fullness.

charles

versus rider

« Reply #23 on: 14 Jul 2010, 04:49 pm »
best of both for me, 2A3 set's for the full range and ss for the bass. 3.5watts are not going to drive my 15" woofers in open baffle so at the moment its 130watts ss. Have just bought a 300B to replace the 2A3's and am searching for a musical fidelity A5 for the bass.   

mcgsxr

« Reply #24 on: 14 Jul 2010, 10:08 pm »
I started out in mid-fi with Class A/B SS, then played briefly with Class A SS, then went through a host of digital amps after finding this website years ago, then settled on SEP EL84's for my OB mains.

I drive the helper woofers with a Class D plate amp.

My currently system is about one tenth the power of my last SS system, but the speakers are also significantly more efficient.

I run no formal preamp - single source system with the preamp built into the source - Bolder modded SB3.