Have I been Double DACed!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Have I been Double DACed!
« on: 19 Jun 2010, 06:17 pm »
A friend here on AC spotted me an ONKYO DX-2700 CD player, so I hooked it up via analog outs to my DAC (SB uses Coax input on DAC)..so I spin a CD and it sounds very, very good and I'm wondering am I double DACing?? If the CD player has an internal DAC and I'm running it through another DAC am I over DACing it!! LOL!! or is it more likely that once a signal is converted, its converted and just passes through the next piece in line unDACed again or reDACed?? :duh: :duh:

low.pfile

Re: Have I been Double DACed!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2010, 06:20 pm »
....so I hooked it up via analog outs to my DAC

your DAC unit would need a digital signal to perform Digital to Analog Conversion.

So using the analog outs from your CDP you are not double DACing, you are just using your preamp section of the DAC unit.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2010, 06:29 pm »
Most DACs do not have analog inputs.  Your Grant Fidelity DAC-09, the Maverick D1 and a few other units that are DAC/Preamps have an analog input or two to add more functionality to the preamp part of the unit.

You are bypassing the internal DAC and adding a bit of tube flavor if you are using the tube outputs.

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2010, 06:33 pm »
Thanks guys..I like the Tube flavoring...so its more like a tube buffer in this situation..thats what I thought.  :thumb: