ALAC to AIFF

pardales

ALAC to AIFF
« on: 18 Jun 2010, 08:11 pm »
Would it be worth converting my ALAC files to AIFF?  :scratch:

Crimson

Re: ALAC to AIFF
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2010, 08:38 pm »
Try a few files and decide. You'll lose nothing in the conversion process as long as you're not mulitasking.

pardales

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2010, 08:49 pm »
Try a few files and decide. You'll lose nothing in the conversion process as long as you're not mulitasking.

Your right. Good idea.

bixby

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2010, 10:04 pm »
I did some tests with ALAC and AIFF on my Macbook and decided I could hear some artifacts in the alac files and to me the AIFF sounded better.  I confirmed this through months of listening to both file types on my ipod and Westones.

Not real easy to hear the differences and on a number of files I could not be sure.  In the end I did notice it enough to go all aiff.

Like the op stated, try a few and let us know what you think.

Construct

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2010, 04:14 am »
I did some tests with ALAC and AIFF on my Macbook and decided I could hear some artifacts in the alac files and to me the AIFF sounded better.  I confirmed this through months of listening to both file types on my ipod and Westones.

Not real easy to hear the differences and on a number of files I could not be sure.  In the end I did notice it enough to go all aiff.

Like the op stated, try a few and let us know what you think.

You may be right.  I just ripped GIGS of my collection to ALAC.  I did this to rid myself of the need for a cd player.  I also tried to save space if possible to cram my 160gb netbook full of quality sound. 

Question:  do you hear a difference between going phone jack or usb interface?  IMO, so far USB sounds cleaner to me. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2010, 04:21 am »
And what do you folks recommend for converting ALAC to AIFF?

Or for converting FLAC to AIFF or ALAC?

Construct

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2010, 04:50 am »
I'm not sold on conversion from a compressed, lossless codec to a non compressed lossless codec.  It seems reasonable that in order to avoid as much of the digital artifact issue, the file should be ripped into AIFF directly.  I could be wrong, but it makes sense.

skunark

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2010, 05:18 am »
The idea of lossless indicates that it is bit-equivalent with the source.    In time more and more rippers and converters will offer checksums which will provide the user more confidence with the ripping or conversion, but there are pro's and cons for each format and based on your system, you might prefer one vs another. 

Construct

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2010, 05:36 am »
The idea of lossless indicates that it is bit-equivalent with the source.    In time more and more rippers and converters will offer checksums which will provide the user more confidence with the ripping or conversion, but there are pro's and cons for each format and based on your system, you might prefer one vs another.

I hope that is true.  The FLAC vs ALAC arguments get tiresome. 

Brandon B

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2010, 08:41 pm »
And what do you folks recommend for converting ALAC to AIFF?

Or for converting FLAC to AIFF or ALAC?

Max.  available @ Sbooth.org