mathgeek97

Re: Relative importance of components
« Reply #280 on: 25 Jun 2010, 04:36 pm »
speakers      -- 44%
sources        -- 19% (including DAC)
pre              -- 18%
amp             -- 17%
"magic" wires --   2%

That's my current 2-channel setup (well, as it will be next week).

coke

« Reply #281 on: 25 Jun 2010, 07:53 pm »
Current percentages

Speakers = 41.67%
Amp = 22.22%
Preamp = 21.05%
Source = 5.26%
Cables = 1.05%

I plan to add a DAC soon which will change the source precentage to around 17%

charmerci

« Reply #282 on: 25 Jun 2010, 09:04 pm »
It seems as if the title of this thread should now be - Relative Cost of Components.

cacophony777

« Reply #283 on: 25 Jun 2010, 09:19 pm »
It seems as if the title of this thread should now be - Relative Cost of Components.

How about "How to allocate funds between components to maximize sound quality" ?
Seems a little too long though...

billmcc

« Reply #284 on: 25 Jun 2010, 10:09 pm »
I think the thread title is fine as people have been posting what value (percentage wise) they feel each component should have. If you get into total cost then that creates a whole other variable IMO :).

Bill

Nuance

« Reply #285 on: 25 Jun 2010, 10:33 pm »
OK, here is a quote.

"In my estimation, the Salk Sound SongTower and Ultravalve combo represents the most musical audio dollars you're ever likely to spend during a lifetime of consumption."

There is more.  :)

Frank Van Alstine

Nooooo - stop teasing me!  Someone scan the dang article already! :D

I think the thread title is fine as people have been posting what value (percentage wise) they feel each component should have. If you get into total cost then that creates a whole other variable IMO :).

Bill

True, true.

ichillpill

« Reply #286 on: 25 Jun 2010, 11:41 pm »
Would a power filtration component like any of the Busses have a factor? I'm curious as to how much of a difference a Buss would have on a system.

Current percentages

Speakers = 41.67%
Amp = 22.22%
Preamp = 21.05%
Source = 5.26%
Cables = 1.05%

I plan to add a DAC soon which will change the source precentage to around 17%

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #287 on: 25 Jun 2010, 11:47 pm »
Would a power filtration component like any of the Busses have a factor? I'm curious as to how much of a difference a Buss would have on a system.

You took the thoughts right outta my head.  :thumb:  You don't build a house w/o a strong foundation, the foundation being power conditioning. Guess I've always put this on top of my priority list and that's all I'm saying about it!  8)

Cheers,
Robin

K Shep

« Reply #288 on: 26 Jun 2010, 12:20 am »

You took the thoughts right outta my head.  :thumb:  You don't build a house w/o a strong foundation, the foundation being power conditioning. Guess I've always put this on top of my priority list and that's all I'm saying about it!  8)

Cheers,
Robin

Why not say more about it?  Speaking form myself, I respect your opinion.  I may not have heard a difference with power conditioners but I'm still interested in the importance of conditioning from your point of view.  You're one of the biggest advocates on the site (for conditioning) and I appreciate hearing your view.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #289 on: 26 Jun 2010, 12:40 am »
I'm with K Shep--open to new ideas and thoughts, what is a Mutha, Uber, etc..??? I really don't know anything about them or what they do...maybe a new thread for information?? :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

K Shep

« Reply #290 on: 26 Jun 2010, 12:43 am »
I'm with K Shep--open to new ideas and thoughts, what is a Mutha, Uber, etc..??? I really don't know anything about them or what they do...maybe a new thread for information?? :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

jtwrace is the dude to ask, or satfrat.  I've pm'd jtwrace (great guy) on numerous occasions...one of which to get his take on the PI Audio Group gear (Uber stuff).

Nuance

« Reply #291 on: 26 Jun 2010, 05:41 am »
Why not say more about it?  Speaking form myself, I respect your opinion.  I may not have heard a difference with power conditioners but I'm still interested in the importance of conditioning from your point of view.  You're one of the biggest advocates on the site (for conditioning) and I appreciate hearing your view.

Word!  Preach it brotha, satfrat!  :rock: :thumb:

srb

« Reply #292 on: 26 Jun 2010, 05:52 am »
I'm with K Shep--open to new ideas and thoughts, what is a Mutha, Uber, etc..??? I really don't know anything about them or what they do...maybe a new thread for information??

This was the introductory thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67931.0

For more information do a forum search for "uber buss".

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #293 on: 26 Jun 2010, 12:43 pm »
Thanks Steve!! :thumb: :thumb:

cacophony777

« Reply #294 on: 30 Jun 2010, 02:47 am »
Feeling curious today so I have a bunch of questions...

I often hear that a certain amp is "bright" or another is "laid back". Is this true or imagined? If true, how is this explained seeing that the frequency response of most amps is very flat?

Is it possible for the front end components (dac/pre/amp) to significantly increase the detail, instrument separation, and/or soundstage? How can they achieve these differences (especially the soundstage)?

Lastly, is the brightness of a speaker entirely captured in the frequency response chart, and if so what does it look like?
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2010, 04:15 am by cacophony777 »

mchuckp

« Reply #295 on: 30 Jun 2010, 05:50 am »

Cheers,
Robin

The Majik Buss is definitely worth the free demo.  For me, I was out $18 shipping if I didn't like it.  Now I gotta figure out how I'm gonna pay for it to keep it. :|

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #296 on: 30 Jun 2010, 06:01 am »
Word!  Preach it brotha, satfrat!  :rock: :thumb:
Ohhhh nooooo  :duh:....don't start him up....he'll be telling you about all the "gizmo's" he's using.... :lol:

Nuance

« Reply #297 on: 30 Jun 2010, 06:02 pm »
Ohhhh nooooo  :duh:....don't start him up....he'll be telling you about all the "gizmo's" he's using.... :lol:

Hehe, I know, I know.  We've had PM discussions about his "gizmos." :D  Hey, whatever makes him happy.

Feeling curious today so I have a bunch of questions...

I often hear that a certain amp is "bright" or another is "laid back". Is this true or imagined? If true, how is this explained seeing that the frequency response of most amps is very flat?

Is it possible for the front end components (dac/pre/amp) to significantly increase the detail, instrument separation, and/or soundstage? How can they achieve these differences (especially the soundstage)?

Lastly, is the brightness of a speaker entirely captured in the frequency response chart, and if so what does it look like?

Yes, amps can sound bright or laid back; it all depends on the design and how well it was implemented.  Now if you're comparing SS to tube, the difference is easy to hear IMO.  Things get much harder when comparing well made SS amps IMO, though.  YMMV.

Concerning the frequency response; it sometimes will show up as a change, but most of the time you're hearing increased distortion, which will not show up in the frequency response graph.  For instance, my Emotiva and Butler amps sound more different than similar, but they measure exactly the same (well, at least through my speakers).  I'd have to see distortion and FR measurements of only the amps, and I'd be willing to bet they differ, which would explain the different sound.

Usually the brightness of a speaker will be captured in a FR graph, yes.  It may look like a rising line at higher frequencies, or there may be a dip in the midrange, thus causing the HF's to sound bright.  Some people even prefer a slightly declining line from 20-20KHz; a flat line might sound bright in normal rooms.  It all depends on the individual's tastes.

Finally, front end components can change the sound, yes.  Will they "significantly increase detail" or widen the sound stage?  Only you can answer that.  In my experience, nothing increases the detail better than a good pair of speakers or an acoustically sound room.  The rest is just minor in comparison.  As far as sound stage, my preamp, DAC and now hybrid amplifier all contributed to a wider sound stage and more enveloping sound.  Imaging also become more precise and encompassing.  Once again, to each their own.

Start with a great pair of speakers and a sound room, then take it from there.  Achieving your "perfect" system synergy will go a heckuva lot quicker.

cacophony777

« Reply #298 on: 30 Jun 2010, 06:22 pm »
Thanks for your useful insight Nuance  :thumb:

ichillpill

« Reply #299 on: 30 Jun 2010, 06:35 pm »
What % of the pie would a Majik Buss represent? I'm not yet ready to demo because I'll have a hard time justifying to send it back if it's as great as many have said.

MajikBuss = ?
Speakers = 41.67%
Amp = 22.22%
Preamp = 21.05%
Source = 5.26%
Cables = 1.05%

The Majik Buss is definitely worth the free demo.  For me, I was out $18 shipping if I didn't like it.  Now I gotta figure out how I'm gonna pay for it to keep it. :|