Relative importance of components

cacophony777

Re: Relative importance of components
« Reply #240 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:32 am »
Alex, it would be great to see your selected components.

Also, how about for a $20,000 system? For that you'd buy $1,400 speakers? Maybe some SongBirds  :wink:

wywires

« Reply #241 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:33 am »
How about a $5,000 budget for a general purpose 2 channel audio setup? No particular requirements other than "sounds good for the money". Assume you are designing a system to give away as a raffle prize to a fellow audiophile.

As a manufacturer I need to be 100% agnostic and I really do not want to make any enemies. Again, component selection and musical priorities are personal to the listener.

wywires

« Reply #242 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:35 am »

Also, how about for a $20,000 system? For that you'd buy $1,400 speakers? Maybe some SongBirds  :wink:

Actually, I have my eye on a pair of Magico M5's($90K)...Yeah in my dreams...Think that would skew the ratio?

cacophony777

« Reply #243 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:37 am »
Actually, I have my eye on a pair of Magico M5's($90K)...Yeah in my dreams...Think that would skew the ratio?

Not if you spend 1.3 Million on the total setup!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #244 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:39 am »
Not if you spend 1.3 Million on the total setup!
touche! :lol:

newzooreview

« Reply #245 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:42 am »
In terms of system cost, the proportions in my system break down this way:

31%   speakers
21%   preamp
27%   amp
15%   source
6%   wires

In terms of affect on sound quality, I would rank them

1. speakers
2. source
3. preamp
4. amp
5. wires

The gap between 2 and 3 is closer than the gap between 1 and 2. And the gap between 4 and 5 is closer than the gap between 3 and 4. However, if you do have really good speakers (like Salks) then any of the other components could be, in your system, the weakest link (and have the biggest perceived affect on sound quality). For example, I changed sources after I had a solid amp and speakers, so it seemed to make a very noticeable difference. If I had my current source and speakers but a mediocre amp then changing that out would have made me perceive it to have a greater relative importance in my system.

I would guess that I spent about 1/3 of the system cost on the final 10-15% improvement in sound (to my ears). I would guess that tracks with other folks' experience--I could have gotten pretty close to the same quality for a fair amount less.  8)

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #246 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:43 am »
Actually the two most important components would be Salk Songtowers driven by an AVA Ultravalve amplifier.

What?  You disagree?  Read our combined review in issue 204 of The Absolute Sound, especially the final summary paragraph.   :)

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

cacophony777

« Reply #247 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:45 am »
Actually the two most important components would be Salk Songtowers driven by an AVA Ultravalve amplifier.

What?  You disagree?  Read our combined review in issue 204 of The Absolute Sound, especially the final summary paragraph.   :)

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Somebody needs to stop tormenting and provide some quotes!!!  :D

newzooreview

« Reply #248 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:47 am »
Somebody needs to stop tormenting and provide some quotes!!!  :D

Is TAS #204 in bookstores yet, or only available to subscribers? It's not on their website yet.

K Shep

« Reply #249 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:56 am »
I've followed this thread from the beginning and its great to see non-Salk owners participating here, well some of the them :roll:

My music player is a Mac Mini playing files stored on an external hard drive.  I was trying to figure out how to put a delta to the cost of my music server.  At around $700 the Mac Mini isn't that expensive as a source.

newzooreview

« Reply #250 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:58 am »
I've followed this thread from the beginning and its great to see non-Salk owners participating here, well some of the them :roll:

My music player is a Mac Mini playing files stored on an external hard drive.  I was trying to figure out how to put a delta to the cost of my music server.  At around $700 the Mac Mini isn't that expensive as a source.

Do you have a DAC connected to the Mini? I added Mini + DAC to get my source cost.

K Shep

« Reply #251 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:01 am »
Do you have a DAC connected to the Mini? I added Mini + DAC to get my source cost.

Usher Be-718
JL Audio F112
Parasound A21
Conrad Johnson ET-2
Ayre QB-9= DAC
Synergistic Research Cabling
Back up source Arcam CD-17 (love this player with its Wolfson DAC)

Calculate retail prices or what you paid for each piece?

K Shep

« Reply #252 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:04 am »
I just added a Velodyne SMS-1 in the mix...I forgot.

wywires

« Reply #253 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:14 am »

I have no personal experience but judging from the loyal following Mr. Salk is enjoying on this forum, maybe I should give them a try and maybe so should you.

newzooreview

« Reply #254 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:19 am »
Usher Be-718
JL Audio F112
Parasound A21
Conrad Johnson ET-2
Ayre QB-9= DAC
Synergistic Research Cabling
Back up source Arcam CD-17 (love this player with its Wolfson DAC)

Calculate retail prices or what you paid for each piece?

I used prices I paid. I bought everything new, however, but not retail in the sense that I've only bought directly from American makers selling directly online.

newzooreview

« Reply #255 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:22 am »
I have no personal experience but judging from the loyal following Mr. Salk is enjoying on this forum, maybe I should give them a try and maybe so should you.

You really should!  :thumb:

billmcc

« Reply #256 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:31 am »
I guess some of us have very different opoinions as to the relative importance of the stuff. Here is my ratio:

Analog Source:        31%
Digital Sources:       14%
Preamp:                 16%
Power amps:           16%
Speakers:                7%
Cables:                   16%

I think that analog sources are the most challenging and expensive to get right from a manufacturing and performance point of view. Great preamps are not easy either, hence the cost.

I find it hard to believe you place twice as much importance on cables than you would for speakers. But I guess when you are president of a cable company it makes sense :wink:.

Bill

cacophony777

« Reply #257 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:39 am »
I find it hard to believe you place twice as much importance on cables than you would for speakers. But I guess when you are president of a cable company it makes sense :wink:.

Context is everything in this case  :green:

K Shep

« Reply #258 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:39 am »
I used prices I paid. I bought everything new, however, but not retail in the sense that I've only bought directly from American makers selling directly online.

My Ushers are the only piece not American made...I may hear some push back by that statement.  Parasound sends their parts over seas for assembly.

cacophony777

« Reply #259 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:42 am »
My Ushers are the only piece not American made...I may hear some push back by that statement.  Parasound sends their parts over seas for assembly.

What made you switch to the Ushers? (I've seen some of your earlier threads on your Songtowers and Revels)