Battery Enclosure for DODD Audio DIY Buffer Battery

praedet

Battery Enclosure for DODD Audio DIY Buffer Battery
« on: 17 Jun 2010, 03:48 pm »
All right, I am making a cool enclosure to house the battery for my DODD Audio DIY Tube Buffer. (There is more, but I don't want anyone to steal my idea :wink:)  I think that is getting beyond the scope of the DIY Buffer thread, so I am starting this one to ask questions...

I will be running the charger lines into the enclosure, and the power lines to the buffer out.  I plan to mount a voltmeter on the front panel for spiffiness. (Here is the one I will use)

I am planning on having 2 switches on the back.  1 turns the voltmeter on and turns on the output to the buffer. 2 turns on the charging line.  By doing this I can check the battery easily and keep the charger constantly plugged in, but only charge when the battery needs it so I don't kill the battery too soon...

Thoughts so far?  8)

So, what I don't know yet....
1. With a 60 AH battery, what size fuse should I run in the line from the charger to the battery?
2. Do the various switches need to handle 60 amps, or can they be less?
3. The DODD buffer is fused, do I need to fuse the output out of this enclosure too for safety?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Battery Enclosure for DODD Audio DIY Buffer Battery
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:02 pm »
I recommend using a digital meter...only for accuracy.  It's very hard to tell if it's 10V or 11.5V which will be big for what you're doing.  Just a thought. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:27 pm »
Here is link to meter I'm putting in my battery system, its digital can be read across the room in the dark. I'm making custom face for mine.

http://www.energybay.org/samlex-battery-watch

praedet

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:14 pm »
Cool, thanks for the suggestions!

Any thoughts on the fuses and switches?

mikeeastman

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2010, 09:55 pm »
I am going to use a set of relays to connect the power to my system while disconnecting my charger. I'm using a toggle switch mounted next to my meter to trigger relays, my bank is in my solar power equipment room, which is about 15 ft .

mikeeastman

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:02 pm »
The standard I use is to have 1 main fuse 20-30% bigger than all your loads and fuse any equipment that doesn't already have one, check with manufacture on fuse size. I use either glass fuses or automotive type fuses.

praedet

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2010, 03:03 pm »
^^^Thanks for the advice, I will call when I can :wink:

Anyone else want to chime in?

praedet

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2010, 09:01 pm »
Bumping this up, I am trying to purchase an enclosure that is big enough.  It is INSANELY expensive to build an entire 10x6.5x12" enclosure through front panel express :(

Anyone know where else I could go?  I need atleast 6" height and 10" width and 10" depth.  Larger than these dimensions is fine too...

Thoughts?

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2010, 11:10 pm »
FWIW parmetal have a 19x11x7 for $70 - http://www.par-metal.com/price.php

praedet

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2010, 11:26 pm »
Awesome, THANKS!