So I went to the Microsoft store today...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: So I went to the Microsoft store today...
« Reply #40 on: 18 Jun 2010, 12:48 pm »
I've never owned an Apple product (my stepson has the big laptop), but they're cool, reportedly rarely crash or get a virus, and most pedestrian users never go back. 

Here's one example why they interest me:

After picking up a nasty virus late last year I took my 6 year old HP desktop to Best Buys (I'm NOT a tech head) and instantly found out it'd be cheaper to buy a new machine.  As I have a great desk/office setup and minimal computing needs I picked up the cheapest desktop they had (a Compaq, with Windows 7, MS Office, virus protection, no monitor/printer, and set up for $490). 

Got it home and found out it wasn't wireless ready.  Five USB wireless network adaptors, 12 hours of the nice (but extremely heavily accented) Indian support over the phone, using wifey's PC to try downloading software upgrades, buying a flashdrive to transfer from wifey's PC to mine, a $10 charge to one of support people to take remote control of wifey's PC (didn't work, took two months to clear the credit card charge), and a total of 4 trips/300 miles back and forth to Best Buys (where Geek Squad tried to install the last two adaptors) I gave up and returned the computer.  I lost 12 days, $100, and wear & tear on me & the car. 

Had the wireless connection worked, what other immediate glitches would I have had to deal with?  And what other future challenges would another PC (I've owned 3) have brought (viruses, operating system upgrades, software upgrades, equipment failure, etc.)?

So I remain connected only at work and 6 months later wonder if for an extra $300 a Mini-Mac would have had me going glitch-free for the next 10 years.

Bigfish

« Reply #41 on: 18 Jun 2010, 01:21 pm »
So I remain connected only at work and 6 months later wonder if for an extra $300 a Mini-Mac would have had me going glitch-free for the next 10 years.

Maybe 10 years but more than likely the computer world ten years from now will be nothing like it is today.  However, I suspect you would have had a positive experience with the Mini!

Ken

Doublej

« Reply #42 on: 18 Jun 2010, 02:52 pm »
I've never owned an Apple product (my stepson has the big laptop), but they're cool, reportedly rarely crash or get a virus, and most pedestrian users never go back. 

Here's one example why they interest me:

After picking up a nasty virus late last year I took my 6 year old HP desktop to Best Buys (I'm NOT a tech head) and instantly found out it'd be cheaper to buy a new machine.  As I have a great desk/office setup and minimal computing needs I picked up the cheapest desktop they had (a Compaq, with Windows 7, MS Office, virus protection, no monitor/printer, and set up for $490). 

Got it home and found out it wasn't wireless ready.  Five USB wireless network adaptors, 12 hours of the nice (but extremely heavily accented) Indian support over the phone, using wifey's PC to try downloading software upgrades, buying a flashdrive to transfer from wifey's PC to mine, a $10 charge to one of support people to take remote control of wifey's PC (didn't work, took two months to clear the credit card charge), and a total of 4 trips/300 miles back and forth to Best Buys (where Geek Squad tried to install the last two adaptors) I gave up and returned the computer.  I lost 12 days, $100, and wear & tear on me & the car. 

Had the wireless connection worked, what other immediate glitches would I have had to deal with?  And what other future challenges would another PC (I've owned 3) have brought (viruses, operating system upgrades, software upgrades, equipment failure, etc.)?

I am not following you.

You bought a PC, had problems, experienced a lot of frustrations, returned the PC and got your money back. What's preventing your from buying a Mac mini? You should be able to find one for $500 or less.

mcullinan

« Reply #43 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:39 pm »
In 10 years we will have custom chips implanted in our minds, with no need for a device to surf the web +.
Id say at least a good 5 years.

werd

« Reply #44 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:48 pm »
In 10 years we will have custom chips implanted in our minds, with no need for a device to surf the web +.

hehe

and when those chips become obsolete they just kill ya....

srb

« Reply #45 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:51 pm »

I don't look forward to calling technical support in India for the first available technician/psychiatrist.

Steve

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #46 on: 18 Jun 2010, 05:19 pm »
Double J,

Where can I find a Mini for under $500?

Part of the issue is that I spend too much time on the computer as it is, would need MS Office for the Mac, and I'm squeaky cheap (hardly wanted to spend $500 to start with).

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #47 on: 18 Jun 2010, 05:21 pm »

I don't look forward to calling technical support in India for the first available technician/psychiatrist.

Steve

If you let slip you're an audiophile, they'll hang up on you.  There are just some people that even IT support won't talk to.    :lol:

mcullinan

« Reply #48 on: 18 Jun 2010, 05:30 pm »
hehe!

Doublej

« Reply #49 on: 18 Jun 2010, 06:20 pm »
Double J,

Where can I find a Mini for under $500?

Part of the issue is that I spend too much time on the computer as it is, would need MS Office for the Mac, and I'm squeaky cheap (hardly wanted to spend $500 to start with).

Keep an eye out for a refurbished Mac Minis and closeout on the white minis. There will be plenty of deals coming up on them now that the next generation aluminum mini is available.

http://lowendmac.com/deals/best-mac-mini-prices.html

You can consider Open Office in place of Microsoft Office. It works great for creating documents from scratch but I found it has problems in opening Office documents properly.

Don't forget to add  $30 ish for a video adapter cable. Apple is way to cool to have a VGA port.

If you care to venture back into the PC world you can get a full setup (computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse) from Dell for under $500 or a laptop for $399-$500.

PM me if you want guidance or setup help.