Udac + icon amp or Icon integrated amp?

Santadog

Udac + icon amp or Icon integrated amp?
« on: 14 Jun 2010, 07:05 pm »
Would I benefit more from buying a Udac + the icon Amp or Would I just be better off getting the icon integrated amp. I use a netbook and FLAC files I, have Grado headphones, and lots of different speakers also what would give me the better sound quality?   I am a newbie and would appreciate any answers
 Thanks
 Santadog

gRF

Re: Udac + icon amp or Icon integrated amp?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2010, 09:44 am »
I owned Icon up until few days ago, and own uDac also.

uDac is superior to Icon's built-in dac. Soundstage that uDac makes is slightly deeper... "blacker" background also...

uDac's headphone-out is louder (more powerful?) then Icon's, but I think Icon's headphone gives better sound.

I also have Travagans Red, little amp I use to drive my desktop speakers. I prefer Travagans' to Icon when listening to speakers (Travagans' soundstage is much deeper), but Travagans' headphones-out was bit harsh compared to Icon's.

Icon Amp is said to have slightly warmer sound compared to Icon. In few days I'll be getting my Icon Amp, so I'll post my impressions.

SOMagic

Re: Udac + icon amp or Icon integrated amp?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:02 pm »
Would I benefit more from buying a Udac + the icon Amp or Would I just be better off getting the icon integrated amp. I use a netbook and FLAC files I, have Grado headphones, and lots of different speakers also what would give me the better sound quality?   I am a newbie and would appreciate any answers
 Thanks
 Santadog

I think - best sound :  Icon HDP .
Icon Amp is very good as well if you have matching speakers (8ohm and 89-90 db spl).