Sensation Dodd Tube Buffer

antonio

Re: Sensation Dodd Tube Buffer
« Reply #40 on: 15 Jun 2010, 10:56 am »
hi seth.
is it possible to buy just kit of upgrade to dodd tube buffer, whitout sell you sensation fromitaly, and making upgrade my self?
antonio

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #41 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:58 pm »
Hey Antonio,
For our international customers we will offer a DIY option with some instructions...
BUT you will need to be good at soldering and if you mess up, you will pay for shipping to return the amp for repair and we reserve the right to charge for rework.  It's not rocket science but we are not saying it's easy or recommended.
Seth

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #42 on: 15 Jun 2010, 05:11 pm »
I heard one of these at Gary's a few days ago. It was also running on batteries. I must admit, it did sound really good.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #43 on: 15 Jun 2010, 05:33 pm »
We've gotta get you back after the caps have been upgraded!  Better, we'll send you one.  Gary is a genius.

antonio

« Reply #44 on: 16 Jun 2010, 05:03 am »
yes, i know that i will be responsable for possible sensation demage  :cry:.
but, is it possible to have the instructions (draw, scheme or other you like) before buy upgrade? in this way i can asses if my welder skill is enought for job....i think i'am almost sufficient welder :|, but just to know if it needs micro-welder or removing and replacing too many small parts from circuit board...

Cheerwino

« Reply #45 on: 16 Jun 2010, 05:05 am »
 Sensation with tube buffers?!!!  :drool:

I am :notworthy:

dvenardos

« Reply #46 on: 16 Jun 2010, 05:47 am »
Antonio, I am sure it is not as difficult as Seth is making it sound. As a business owner he has to be concerned with liability, but in reality it probably isn't that tough.

but, is it possible to have the instructions (draw, scheme or other you like) before buy upgrade? in this way i can asses if my welder skill is enought for job....i think i'am almost sufficient welder :|, but just to know if it needs micro-welder or removing and replacing too many small parts from circuit board...

mamba315

« Reply #47 on: 16 Jun 2010, 07:12 am »
I have a few questions, very very basic in nature:

• What does a buffer do?
  • Is the tube buffer an additional signal-path component, or is there an equivalent solid-state part that does "buffering" when the tube is bypassed/not installed?
  • Regarding the Sonicap bypass upgrade for the M901, what are the Sonicaps replacing and/or bypassing?

You may have guessed... electrical engineering isn't my field, but I love to learn

ltr317

« Reply #48 on: 17 Jun 2010, 01:41 am »

I hope you mean solder and not welder.  Wrong equipment to use and will damage the Sensation. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #49 on: 17 Jun 2010, 02:23 am »
tube shoot-out #1:

JJ ECC803 vs. Mulllard 12ax7

I finally got my tubes in and here is the first contest.

For me, it was no contest. The JJ that Gary provides with the tube buffer is so neutral abd detailed, great focus, soungstage and super depth. Dynamic? Yes,unbelivable. The Mullard sounded so bloated and lack of high frequenct detail, focus of the vocals was very smeared. Patty Larkin sounded like a heavy smoker when she sang. It reminded me of those lucious tube amps of the 60's, too warm and soft. If you are struggling with thin and brightness in your speakers, you might like the Mullard.

I never would have bragged about the tube buffer if this is what I got the first time I lidtened. For me, it is JJ by a mile.

TrungT

« Reply #50 on: 17 Jun 2010, 02:33 am »
Thanks Tom
 :thumb:
Glad to know  :wink:

Mariusz

« Reply #51 on: 17 Jun 2010, 02:57 am »
Thanks for your "shoot out " observation.
I am planing to have some fun tube rolling as well.
Got a whole bunch of old stock 12s laying around.

P.S
I recieved few inquiries about differences and similarities between RWA and Sensation with battery power supply (as well as tube buffer - which, I am unable to answer at this point).

So, without any editing (except the name of the other party) here is the copy of an email regarding these two components:

" Hello *****

It has been a while but
it is always great to hear from you.
As you know, we were able to orginized Virtue Audio tour which includes various amps and upcoming Piano M-1 tour.
Virtue amps are somewhat similar to RWA as far as technology is concern but the sound characteristics are quite the opposite.
While RWA is voiced to emphasize the middle range qualities - trying to resemble some of the qualities found in SET amps.... Sensation is brute in regards to resolution, bottom end dynamics. 
One of RWA attributes is the ability to make the most horrible recordings listenable.
Virtue on the other hand sounds crappy with some bad recordings but good stuff sounds great and great stuff sound even better.
Basicly, it will show every flaw on the track and in your system.
Top end and bottom end is excellent. The only shortcoming is in my opinion lock of the middle range liquidity which I am so used to with my SET amp.
But that is the stock Sensation amp.
Batteries do help a little...... in the way that it lets more subtle details and ambiance become more effortless and audible.
For the money - it is great as it is but........
When I was almost ready to pull the trigger on Sensation M-451, Seth informed me of upcoming upgrade which would inclued Dodd Audio tube buffer stage (pre-section). Now, I am not sure how it will change the sound but from my experiance with Dodd Audio (used to own his top of the line preamp) it should be really good. 
I am hopping that Dodd Audio buffer is the missing link in Seth's design.
It just might give me that extra liquidity I was looking for in original Sensation amp.
We will find out soon enough as I will recieve one of the first units later this week.
If you like, I have one Sensation with battery supply ...... If you want to give it a shot. If you like it, I can later loan you the new Sensation with battery power supply and tube buffer.

Let me know

Cheers
Mariusz " 

OzarkTom

« Reply #52 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:41 am »
The character of the Sensation has not changed at all throughout the frequncies and I am glad it did not, it is just much more liquid. The resolution, bottom end dynamics has not changed either. That is with the JJ tube provided. As I said, the bad recordings sounds much more musical while improving the soundstage and presence of those recordings. The great recordings has not changed much in soundstage width, but the depth is more fantastic while sounding more liquid.

I seriously doubt if you can fine a more musical amp, while retainung this level of detail that Seth's tripath chip has, anywhere and at any price. I still cannot belief it, and I have one here in my system. My baby SET amp fails miserably in comparison, it is much less musical and is more harsher sounding. I was running my SET amp when I received the Sensation back with the tube buffer. From the first note played on the Sensation, I knew I was in for a very special treat.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #53 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:21 am »
tom, do you hear any tube hiss or is the background just as quiet as before?

OzarkTom

« Reply #54 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:56 am »
There is a slight noise as I adjust the volume up or down, but no noise with the volume sitting still. Ir is dead quiet.

Let me edit that. At wide open volume I hear a very faint tube hiss when I stick my ear to the speakers. I did notice a slight 60 hz hum yesterday, but after moving the Piano CD player further away from the Sensation, that stopped. Try and keep all other electrical componrnts away from the tube buffer.

OzarkTom

« Reply #55 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:20 am »
tube shoot-out #2:

JJ ECC803 vs. Sylvania 12au7

This comparison was much more difficult than last night. Both tubes are very neutral and very musical. The JJ's soundstage starts behind the speakers, the Sylvania is little nore forward. It seems the JJ has more depth because of it, but the Sylvania has plenty of depth. The Sylvania is much quieter as you hear nothing when you adjust the volume up or down. Tape hiss at full volume is even quieter than the JJ. I like that.

What I wasn't ready for was the micro-detail that the Sylvania has. Because of the extension of detail, it has nore width of the soundstage. More of my good CD's are now sounding 3D, The extra detail had me worried though, will my bad CD's now sound bad? Not to worry. They were still musical. The Doors "Riders on the Storm" was bigger, and still as musical. That made me very happy.

For me, I have a new favorite on the tubes. It is not a big difference, but it is there. This Sylvania is definitely a keeper.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #56 on: 18 Jun 2010, 05:55 am »
tom, try raytheon 12au7's or 5814's.

antonio

« Reply #57 on: 18 Jun 2010, 01:50 pm »

I hope you mean solder and not welder.  Wrong equipment to use and will damage the Sensation. 

yes, of course. i'm sorry for my english. :oops:

wsturner

« Reply #58 on: 18 Jun 2010, 02:59 pm »
Antonio,

If you want, I can translate your posts to our dialect. Your original post would go something like this:

"Come on Seth...Hook an overseas brother up with one of those Dodd Tube Buffer DIY kits. I promise I won't f anything up."

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #59 on: 18 Jun 2010, 06:23 pm »
Laughing so hard I pissed my pants.  Antonio, we'll take care of you.  Email me privately.   :rotflmao: