AVA Preamp Remote Volume Adjust Speed

newzooreview

AVA Preamp Remote Volume Adjust Speed
« on: 12 Jun 2010, 09:02 pm »
The AvaStar Preamp that Jim Salk had at the Capital AudioFest had a very sensitive volume adjustment on the remote. Jim said that he's had the preamp for a while and that Frank has upgraded it over the years, so the internals are an AvaStar but the case and knobs may be original. Is the remote control volume adjustment still so sensitive on the new models?

What I mean by sensitive is that I had to really concentrate to press the volume up and down on the remote quickly and lightly to get a small, incremental change in volume. I frequently went too high or too low because the remote caused the volume knob to turn too quickly. This was a bit distracting and fiddly.

Is it something that can modified on order?

coke

Re: AVA Preamp Remote Volume Adjust Speed
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2010, 08:44 pm »
I'd like to know also.  It's really difficult to get the volume where I want it with the remote.

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2010, 11:09 pm »
My first thought is that it may be the pulse rate on the remote that's the issue. I've had universal remotes that had a different pulse rate than the factory remote, and this caused slower or faster response from the device.

So, AVA might be able to change the pulse rate on the remote to improve the situation.

It also seems like there's a non-linear response. The IR transmitter seems to pulse faster when the volume button is held continuously.

If it's not the IR pulse rate then it's something in the motor mechanism. Either way it's a problem. This is a $300 remote, after all, so getting a controllable, precise volume adjustment should not be an issue.

And it's not just us, coke: I was at an audio show this weekend where the AvaStar was being demoed with Salk speakers, and folks were struggling to adjust the volume. Everyone who used the remote overshot the mark on multiple occasions and had to fiddle with care to get it about right.

It's a small thing, but it makes a big difference.

newzooreview

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2010, 04:27 pm »
I just ordered an AvaStar and Fet-Valve Ultra+ 550 Double Die, and talked to Frank about the volume control. I think maybe it's just a matter of getting the knack of tapping the button to home in on the volume. He said that folks haven't mentioned it before. So, I'll just have to practice a bit when my new stuff comes in 4-6 weeks.  :drool:

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2010, 04:30 pm »
We have been shipping preamps with this remote volume control and sender for over 4 years now and never any feedback about it until now.

It actually is pretty easy to learn to use properly, just a tap up or down will make very fine adjustments.

It would not be economically possible to change the speed of the control.  That would require us asking Alps to design new gearbox ratios just for us.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

mathgeek97

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2010, 06:55 pm »
I was planning on using my Logitech Harmony universal remote with my T8+ when it arrives.  Has anybody done this succesfully with this Alps remote unit?

floresjc

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2010, 07:08 pm »
When I first got my Insight EC + Remote, I was a little bit surprised at the sensitivity of the remote. I think part of it is the gear ratio and part of it is the fact that at regular gain, you don't have to turn the dial very much to get a big gain in volume out of an HT2-TL.

That said, after a few hours of use, it is an afterthought. One, I don't shift volume all that much if at all, and 2, by far the mute is the most important thing on the remote, I use it all the time. Just like anything else, you develop a feel for the remote. Note that myself and some other users use the low gain setting and this gives you more play in the dial so to speak.

mathgeek97

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2010, 08:51 pm »
Note that myself and some other users use the low gain setting and this gives you more play in the dial so to speak.

Using the low gain setting isn't going to mess with the sound quality (and will I even have such a thing on my T8+)?

BTW, if I manage to get everything working well with the Harmony remote, I'll let y'all know.  That way, anybody who wants to, can copy the settings from my profile (Logitech actually has to do this, but it's a simple e-mail request).

newzooreview

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2010, 09:36 pm »
I've taught my Logitech remote to learn a bunch of other remotes, so I expect this will be possible. I may give it a try with mine as well.

I do fully expect that after a bit of use the adjustment will be second nature. My speakers are 84 dB efficient, so I don't know if I'll need the low-gain option.

floresjc

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2010, 11:51 pm »
mathgeek -

I believe Frank has commented about the low gain toggle before, although I can't find the thread. But if I'm not mistaken, it does not impact sound quality at all, it simply switches the system gain. I do not know if a T8 has one.

newzooreview -

You have HT2-TL's don't you? With my Double 440 at 220-240W, I use the low gain toggle, but I also just leave it full gain sometimes. I would imagine with a Double 550 at 300+ W, you could use the low gain as well, or leave it wide open, I guess it just depends on your listening tastes. HT2-TL's don't seem very hard to drive.

newzooreview

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2010, 02:04 am »

newzooreview -

You have HT2-TL's don't you? With my Double 440 at 220-240W, I use the low gain toggle, but I also just leave it full gain sometimes. I would imagine with a Double 550 at 300+ W, you could use the low gain as well, or leave it wide open, I guess it just depends on your listening tastes. HT2-TL's don't seem very hard to drive.

No, I have the HT1-TLs, which are 84 dB efficiency. Although I don't think the impedance curve drops below 4Ω they certainly like some power to control them.

gjs_cds

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2010, 12:08 am »
Remotes are over-rated anyway...  How much do we actually change the volume anyway?  And on those rare occaisions that we might, the trip off the couch won't hurt us...   :)

newzooreview

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2010, 02:50 am »
Remotes are over-rated anyway...  How much do we actually change the volume anyway?  And on those rare occaisions that we might, the trip off the couch won't hurt us...   :)

:o Different strokes for different folks I guess. My source is a Mac mini through USB DAC, so I often cue up a variety of cuts from albums with varying playback levels. I might adjust the volume 8-10 times an hour when I'm listening that way versus listening to a whole album. Add to that a dog that likes to nap partly on me, and getting up to adjust volume is more than a mild inconvenience.  8) 

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2010, 07:47 pm »
The low gain setting is for those that have rather efficient speakers and put's the volume control range in the more normal positions we are all used to. The higher gain position is for speakers that are in the 85bd range that may take a bit more amplifier bark to achieve similar listening levels. Within each position, relative to the speaker's efficiency, the effect between the 2 will be for practical purposes, identical.

Wayner  :D

mathgeek97

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jul 2010, 12:53 am »
I've been tinkering with my Logitech Harmony remote.  It'll control my preamp, but the settings aren't perfect.  Sometimes I have to press "mute" twice.  Volume control isn't bad.  When teaching the Harmony the "Volume Up/Down" commands, I literally just gave the original remote a tap, as fast as I could, and that was enough to get it to work.  Maybe I'll have to re-learn "mute" by holding it down longer.  Or, maybe I just have to mess with the settings as is.
Frank, did Alps provide you with any discrete codes for the remote?  I'd love to get this working perfectly and stored into my Logitech database, which would allow me to share my settings with all of the other AVA remote users.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #15 on: 4 Jul 2010, 07:32 pm »
The remote system that costs AVA customers 299.00 appears to be a 1000.00 option from other manufacturers.  I think that deHavilland is one of the companies that uses a similar system.  I don't find the remote volume to be overly difficult to adjust. 

Wayner

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jul 2010, 09:26 pm »
This volume control with it's remote function is widely used in the industry because of it's excellent operation and volume tracking (left/right balance). Just read some of the catalogs you may get from the Audio Advisor and others, and the manufacturer's name (of the motorized volume control) is brought up constantly. If you want an awkward remote volume control, try out the one in the Outlaw RR-2150 receiver. Way too fast and never where you want it.

Wayner

Listens2tubes

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jul 2010, 09:36 pm »
I actually like the speed, it's easy to hear. I know a couple of way to expensive preamps that you push the volume button then wait then look to see if you pushed the right button. I don't use the remote much(actually don't think to use it) buthave no trouble with it's speed/effect. :thumb:

bummrush

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jul 2010, 09:53 pm »
i think it is the same as with my Coda,with red light close to upper right,mine works excellent.
  Had a Atoll pre amp awhile back and this remote had two speeds one a very fine slow ramp up and  down ,another button that ramped up and down a bit faster,never have seen that anywhere else.

mathgeek97

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jul 2010, 01:04 am »
The remote system that costs AVA customers 299.00 appears to be a 1000.00 option from other manufacturers.  I think that deHavilland is one of the companies that uses a similar system.  I don't find the remote volume to be overly difficult to adjust.

It is a very nice remote unit.  I just want to get it working as well with the Logitech universal remote as it does with included one.  Logitech doesn't exactly make it easy, so I'll continue to tinker.  BTW, the speed seems perfect with my setup.  My frustration is only with Logitech.