What speakers do you like with your tube amp?

dangerbird

Re: What speakers do you like with your tube amp?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jun 2010, 10:29 pm »
Tyler Acoustic 7U with VTL 100 watt mono'a
Polk SDA 1C with Quicksilver GLA (40 watt tuber)

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2010, 11:08 pm »
My Grant Fidelity A-88 and Raysonic 128 make my GR Research V-1s sing.......truly remarkable.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2010, 11:11 pm »
Infinity Intermezzo 4.1 and my AVA U70. they have a built in 850 watt amp for the "sub" so the amp doesn't see anything below 80 hz.  Really works for me!

I guess I need to take some photos!

Thebiker

« Reply #23 on: 22 Jun 2010, 03:43 am »
I use a pair of JM Lab 816s with my Stingray, run in triode mode.  Real easy to drive and extremely clean.  8 ohms & 91.5db efficiency makes for a light load.  I listen to everything from classical to jazz to the Stone's "Beggar's Banquet" cranked as loud as I can listen to comfortably.

Walt

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jun 2010, 05:59 am »
No shortage of speakers around here. All diy. Most designed by myself or the team.

Usually Fostex based with the SE amps... the dynaMutt (started out as 2 ST70s) allows use of the less efficient Mark Audio based speakers (the new Alpair7 deciSize miniOnken has lots of promise -- need to get the drivers EnABLed yet).

I posted a few pictures here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76975.0

These are one of my favorites

dave

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #25 on: 22 Jun 2010, 08:32 pm »

MY VON SCHWEIKERT VR-33

JakeJ

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jun 2010, 02:14 am »
Some beautiful and unique systems in this thread!  My current reference setup is the best I have owned and am very satisfied with for the present.  My Genesis 501.2 driven by my VAC electronics.  The giant Goldmund Mimesis 9+ is available if anyone is interested.

Next I'd like to play with some simpler high-efficiency speakers and SET amplification.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jun 2010, 02:54 am »
How do you guys keep your rooms so clean?  I always have a pile of CDs on the floor in front of things, not to mention all the other junk that is around....

Now I feel out of place.....
 :oops:

JakeJ

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jun 2010, 03:26 am »
Simon,
It takes me at least a couple of hours of cleaning and straightening to get the main listening area "picture perfect".  ;)

But checkout my library system photo and you'll see I keep most of the "mess" confined to another room altogether.  :oops: :lol:

Out of the picture to the left, behind, and right are more small chaotic piles that need to be  filtered and cleaned up.  The stacks of vinyl on the floor to the right with the ball cap on them all needs to be listened to and filed.

I'll be in a lot more trouble once I get the basement space fully "man-caved" and move the main stereo down there along with all the media.  It just takes time and money.  :lol:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #29 on: 23 Jun 2010, 03:42 am »

For me at the moment it's the Clearwave Melodia RA and Salk HT2-TLs in rotation. System is tube preamp, tube DAC, tube CD player (when not runnning through DAC), tube phono stage and the tube amp is the Bella Extreme 3205 MKIII Reference. Really makes either of these speakers sing

JakeJ

« Reply #30 on: 23 Jun 2010, 04:58 am »
Bill, you're makin' my  :drool:   Are you showing at RMAF this year?  If so with what gear?  Probably too early to ask that question.  I need to get my reservations made.  Really looking forward to seeing some of our proprietary AC vendors and their wares.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #31 on: 23 Jun 2010, 05:01 am »
Hi Jake,
 Yes we are showing at RMAF this year. We will be showcasing the Purity Audio Design Referencce and Silver Statement linestages. You [may] also see an over the top Purity Silver Statement in another manufacturer's room. That we don't know for sure yet.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #32 on: 23 Jun 2010, 05:04 am »
How do you guys keep your rooms so clean?  I always have a pile of CDs on the floor in front of things, not to mention all the other junk that is around....

That's easy....you move all your piles of CD's and junk out of range of the camera lense :lol:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #33 on: 23 Jun 2010, 05:10 am »
My Grant Fidelity A-88 and Raysonic 128 make my GR Research V-1s sing.......truly remarkable.
Nice Carver Amazing, looks original model, great OB speaker, great 3D soundstage...  :thumb:
Gustavo

JakeJ

« Reply #34 on: 23 Jun 2010, 05:32 am »
Hi Jake,
 Yes we are showing at RMAF this year. We will be showcasing the Purity Audio Design Referencce and Silver Statement linestages. You [may] also see an over the top Purity Silver Statement in another manufacturer's room. That we don't know for sure yet.

Thanks, Bill.  Look forward to a visit to your room as well a few others.  Please keep us updated through your circle as to what and where your wares will be showing.  This will be my first RMAF and I will likely wear myself out trying to see too many interesting works of audio.  I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #35 on: 23 Jun 2010, 06:04 am »
These speakers are my current DIY attempts at great cone/dome type sound, driven in fully active mode by 2 stereo tube amps for the tweeters and the midrange, and an SS amp on the bass woofers:

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jun 2010, 11:07 am »

Now I feel out of place.....
 :oops:

Maids!! But they don't touch the stereo :nono:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #37 on: 23 Jun 2010, 09:02 pm »
I always have a pile of CDs on the floor in front of things

I am just finishing loading all my CDs into an iMac and putting the CDs in totes. I won't miss the piles of CDs. It is going to take way more effort to wade thru the LPs.

dave

casarman

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jun 2010, 02:37 pm »
Maggies!

Mr. Steve, what´t the minimun output needed to handle the Maggie´s? I want to know because i have a 70 wpc PP amp, and I´m affraid it´s not enought
Thanks.
Armando

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #39 on: 24 Jun 2010, 11:03 pm »
From Magnepan's site:

How much power do I need?
We are asked this question every day. But, individual tastes vary so greatly that a definitive answer is impossible. We are using a 35 watt receiver in the lobby to our factory. Therefore, can we honestly say that 35 watts is all you need? For each increase of 3 db, the power must be doubled. So, 70 watts, 140 watts, 280 watts, etc. will progressively result in 3 db increases over the receiver we are using in our lobby. Personal tastes are "all over the map". We hear of customers that are perfectly happy with 25 watts and others using 1000 watts.(And there is no lack of opinions about power in chat rooms on the internet.) Without the option of listening with you, we have no way to give meaningful advice. The most reliable way to answer this question for your particular needs is by visiting a dealer. If you listen to your music at your normal volume, in a room that is approximately the same size as your room, with an amplifier similar to what you plan to use, an accurate power requirement can be determined for your listening habits. The amplifier used in this test should have a similar 4 ohm rating as the amplifier you plan to use at home, but it is not necessary for it to be identical to your amplifier. Anyone that has a definite answer to this question (without having met you) is probably telling you their personal preference.
------
I like loud Rock and Roll so I asked Eva Manley what she'd go with if she were me (they have 1.6s at their facility) and her take on it was that 100W might be okay or a little underpowered so 250/channel would be the ticket.
I guess that it would depend upon the size of your room, what is in the room (carpet, furniture), how far away from the speakers you sit and how loud you like your tunes.
I like live concert volume from 25 rows back and I went with 300W/channel on the 3.6s, 250 W/channel on the 1.6s.