SACD and the BDA-1

Phil A

Re: SACD and the BDA-1
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2010, 02:20 pm »
I guess I would also need this

http://www.port-ta.com/show.asp?id=38

right?

Or maybe I should look for a Displayport male to HDMI male cable.....

Nap.  :scratch:

No - the PET4000 is a 4 way HDMI switch so you take the output from your player into its input and it has 4 HDMI outs like any other HDMI switch.  The thing that makes it unique is that it separates the audio into coax or optical.  If I get an HDMI pre/pro you can easily swap cables from the player or if the pre/pro has 2 sets of outputs it is easy.  I have the SP1.7 so it has no HDMI audio and I have no problem to deal with (I have not even used the switch for video at this point - I have the Oppo HDMI switch and just took out the Oppo BDP-83 cable going to it - if it works out I can move the Oppo HDMI switch out).  It has been reported that the PET4000 can do up to 96kHz audio.  I have an E-Mail in to them and if I get time to do stuff this weekend, I'll see if it can pass higher resolutions.  My BDP-83 is modded and from what I've heard to date, I prefer the PET4000 along with the BDA-1 for listening to SACDs where the Oppo outputs 88.2kHz and the DAC upsamples it.  The Atlona audio-de-embedder is 3 times the price and it is not an HDMI switch and it needs to have a display on (or you need another device - see the thread in the hi-rez music circle about taking SACD to your DAC).  I also posted on that circle the fact that the Arcam players can pass 176.4kHz from SACD as from I understand older PS3s that played SACD.  So far is is the best $69 tweak (including shipping)  I've ever bought. 

Phil A

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jul 2010, 02:29 pm »
I guess I would also need this

http://www.port-ta.com/show.asp?id=38

right?

Or maybe I should look for a Displayport male to HDMI male cable.....

If you go with the Atlona box (see the thread in the high res music section) page one has a lot of info including either needed a small LCD screen or one of these -  http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005

The thread is only five pages long at this point and if you read the first and last you probably can get much of the info.

gdbalp

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jul 2010, 05:10 pm »
Hi,

Thinking forward, if we use the SP3 (when released :drool:) as way to convert DSD-HDMI signal to an optical signal, then you take the optical signal to a BDA-1 and return it back to the SP3.

Not sure if this would be any better, but worth a discussion?

Ciao,
Luigi

Phil A

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jul 2010, 05:32 pm »
Hi,

Thinking forward, if we use the SP3 (when released :drool:) as way to convert DSD-HDMI signal to an optical signal, then you take the optical signal to a BDA-1 and return it back to the SP3.

Not sure if this would be any better, but worth a discussion?

Ciao,
Luigi

I am not sure how the DSP is configured in the SP3 but with most processors you would be dragging the signal through a whole bunch of unwanted crap.  The device I use would be used to output to an outboard DAC and then pass the signal into the bypass analog inputs.  I am not sure why one would want to take a signal through such processing

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #24 on: 17 Jul 2010, 06:02 pm »
Phil,
Have you tested the Portta for anything higher  than 24/96 yet?  The advantage of the Atlona (so far, before Phil tests) is that it works all the way up to 24/192.  Read my thread....I grabbed 24/88.2PCM from Oppo's SACD (DSD converetd to PCM) and grabbed 24/192 BluRay audio too. 
The BDA-1 is a DAC you guys have already invested in; Phil and my point is:  use it.  These very inexpensive HDMi de-embedders allow you to leverage your investment in the BDA-1 and use it to capture BluRay and SACD 2 channel digital stream from HDMI (there is no other way to capture them digitally, short of modding your player with expensive SPDIF boards).

Phil A

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jul 2010, 06:19 pm »
Phil,
Have you tested the Portta for anything higher  than 24/96 yet?  The advantage of the Atlona (so far, before Phil tests) is that it works all the way up to 24/192.  Read my thread....I grabbed 24/88.2PCM from Oppo's SACD (DSD converetd to PCM) and grabbed 24/192 BluRay audio too. 
The BDA-1 is a DAC you guys have already invested in; Phil and my point is:  use it.  These very inexpensive HDMi de-embedders allow you to leverage your investment in the BDA-1 and use it to capture BluRay and SACD 2 channel digital stream from HDMI (there is no other way to capture them digitally, short of modding your player with expensive SPDIF boards).

Ted, not yet.  Probably will try before the weekend is out.  I did sent an E-Mail to Portta or ask the question but they did not understand and responded incorrectly it so I replied in greater detail earlier today.  I was hoping even if it did not do that they understand when they made the product there may be a market for better versions.

I agree with Ted 100%.  In initially bought the BCD-1 CD player when it came out and then I sold it and basically bought a barely used (3 week old) BDA-1 for a few dollars less.  It is much more flexible and I have a ton of transports to use.  If I get something else as a transport, I still have the DAC and can hook multiple sources to it.  I even have an old Micromega DAC in the secondary basement system.  It doesn't see tons of use but sound really good on CD still.

Napalm

« Reply #26 on: 17 Jul 2010, 06:36 pm »
After some additional reading on DisplayPort my understanding is that it is an open standard that is royalty free (unlike HDMI that is $10000 flat + $0.04 per device).

So any chance that Bryston would support this (and I'm thinking SP3 mostly).

skunark

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jul 2010, 03:38 am »
After some additional reading on DisplayPort my understanding is that it is an open standard that is royalty free (unlike HDMI that is $10000 flat + $0.04 per device).

So any chance that Bryston would support this (and I'm thinking SP3 mostly).

I think they just mean the connector is open :)...    DisplayPort still supports HDMI, DVI, etc and all of those common and not so common video encodings, not to mention HDCP fees.   Just to get the design documents that defines all the different video frame formats and audio standards will put you over a grand (HDCP standards are free :)), and that doesn't include the price of that initial handshake and then the luxury to tape out a design and manufacture it for resale.   h.264 though is free until 2015 :) ....

Phil A

« Reply #28 on: 18 Jul 2010, 03:56 am »
By the way I tested the Portta HDMI switch/audio de-embedder tonight with a couple of 192kHz DVD-As and it passed the signal.  I posted about it in the Hi-rez Music Circle.  A great $69 tweak if you have the BDA-1 and a player that converts SACD to hi-rez PCM.

Napalm

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jul 2010, 02:48 pm »
I think they just mean the connector is open :)...    DisplayPort still supports HDMI, DVI, etc and all of those common and not so common video encodings, not to mention HDCP fees.   Just to get the design documents that defines all the different video frame formats and audio standards will put you over a grand (HDCP standards are free :)), and that doesn't include the price of that initial handshake and then the luxury to tape out a design and manufacture it for resale.   h.264 though is free until 2015 :) ....

But it would be pretty much universal...... at the SP3 price point Bryston should be able to afford one.... my gut feeling is that everyone is moving in that direction....

:scratch:

Nap.

Napalm

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jul 2010, 04:01 pm »
Muhahahaha just found this:

http://www.uaudio.com/products/uad/uad2sl/index.html

I can have state of the art realtime "Loudness War"!!!! it emulates all the POS compressors/limiters!!!!

Nap.  :duh: