• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

Phil A

Re: Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle
« Reply #203 on: 8 Jul 2010, 01:16 am »
Great thanks - how about ElCassetts?

james

I remember those.  Might have made it had they had stuff for the automobile or portable and pre-recorded music available.  Beta was killed by Sony not loosening up on licensing it.  Limited availability is usually a sign something won't make it mainstream

Napalm

« Reply #204 on: 8 Jul 2010, 01:59 am »
Great thanks - how about ElCassetts?

james

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-ELCASET-LC-90-FeCr-TYPE-II-BLANK-TAPE-/140423337570?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Blank_Media&hash=item20b1e21662

:lol:

Now seriously I have a question about the BDP-1. Will it support ext3fs filesystem on the USB drives connected to it? Should be piece of cake however you may want to make sure engineering doesn't disable it because they thought no one would use it.

How I came to this: the Synology NAS I just bought knows to backup itself to an USB drive connected directly to it (it doesn't even need a PC). It is a one click affair to copy all the music from a folder on the NAS to an USB external hard drive. It supports FAT32 and ext3fs officially and NTFS unofficially (at your own risk). I just got a pair of 1TB 2.5" drives (WD Elements SE, on sale this week at Canada Computers). FAT32 would be a waste on 1TB drives. So this leaves ext3fs.

So please could the BDP-1 support it. It's "native" anyway for linux.

Nap.  :drool:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #205 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:00 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes ext3 has been left intact. :D

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #206 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:19 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

From Engineering:

James:

Here is what we currently support:

# Filesystem types: USB mass storage devices are only mounted if they

# contain a filesystem type which is in this list.

FILESYSTEMS="vfat ext2 ext3 ext4 hfsplus ntfs"

We can add more but I would be cautious about going crazy. The list includes ext3 and ext4. There are newer linux filesystems we could support but don’t make sense for removable drives. Further MPD doesn’t navigate well on drives with multiple partitions.

Napalm

« Reply #207 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:25 pm »

FILESYSTEMS="vfat ext2 ext3 ext4 hfsplus ntfs"

Beautiful!!!!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I already have a plan: keep the main music library in a folder on the NAS (where it's protected by RAID 1). Manage it there, add files, create playlists etc.

Then from time to time I "backup" this folder to the 2.5" USB 1TB HD. The NAS is smart enough to copy only the added/modified files so it wouldn't take long (except the first backup ever). And connect the portable HD to the BDP-1 for playback.

Yehaaaaaa!!!

Nap.   :drool:

Napalm

« Reply #208 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:43 pm »
No I am sorry the only lossless we will support initially is FLAC.

How about .WAV?

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #209 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:45 pm »
How about .WAV?

Nap.

At this point we support Wave, AIFF, FLAC and MP3

james

werd

« Reply #210 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:47 pm »
Beautiful!!!!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I already have a plan: keep the main music library in a folder on the NAS (where it's protected by RAID 1). Manage it there, add files, create playlists etc.

Then from time to time I "backup" this folder to the 2.5" USB 1TB HD. The NAS is smart enough to copy only the added/modified files so it wouldn't take long (except the first backup ever). And connect the portable HD to the BDP-1 for playback.

Yehaaaaaa!!!

Nap.   :drool:

Keep practicing you might get it right .....ha!!

Napalm

« Reply #211 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:49 pm »
BTW if anyone is considering doing something similar to what I described before (i.e. use a NAS and a 2.5" drive for music storage/playback), the Synology (and QNAP as far as I can tell) are "hackable" in the sense that they allow you to log in via telnet/ssh and do stuff. What you'll find there is a linux system and you could use cron and a script to make the NAS->HD sync completely automatic i.e. as soon as the NAS senses the "music" HD it initiates a sync to it. So you wouldn't need to fire up your PC or press any buttons at all.

Painless.

Nap.  :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #212 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:50 pm »

Keep practicing you might get it right .....ha!!

I'm practicing right now..... works so far.

Napalm

« Reply #213 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:54 pm »
At this point we support Wave, AIFF, FLAC and MP3

james

:thumb: works for me.

Nap.  :D

werd

« Reply #214 on: 8 Jul 2010, 04:15 pm »
I'm practicing right now..... works so far.

I was refering to your sig ....  :lol:

Napalm

« Reply #215 on: 10 Jul 2010, 02:52 pm »
Tested and certified by Napalm Labs:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/CA/en/products/WET610N

Easy to set up, works well. It's actually quite small (the web picture suggest a huge thing).

Should be a painless way to connect your BDP-1 to a wireless network (2.4 or 5 GHZ).

Nap.  :eyebrows:

Napalm

« Reply #218 on: 12 Jul 2010, 04:28 pm »
Bad news.... why?

That T+A is a formidable competitor to the BDA+BDP combo. Not only it comes from a reputable manufacturer, but it also has all the gimmicks that the "propeller heads" ever asked for.

Until now it was some kind of "unobtainium" in Canada... but things seem to be changing.

Of course, "bad news" is a way to speak, in reality a healthy competition based on quality (not "lowest price") is a good thing for all parties involved.

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #219 on: 12 Jul 2010, 04:39 pm »
That T+A is a formidable competitor to the BDA+BDP combo. Not only it comes from a reputable manufacturer, but it also has all the gimmicks that the "propeller heads" ever asked for.

Until now it was some kind of "unobtainium" in Canada... but things seem to be changing.

Of course, "bad news" is a way to speak, in reality a healthy competition based on quality (not "lowest price") is a good thing for all parties involved.

Nap.

Ok I see what you mean but as I have been saying over and over the BDP-1 is NOT a 'swiss army knife' all in one approach.  The BDA-1 is dedictated to ONLY playing high resolution files in combination with the BDA-1 as well as can be done given the current state of the art.

It's a PERFORMANCE choice not a feature choice.

james