JBL 4312A

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
JBL 4312A
« on: 3 Jun 2010, 05:01 pm »
I was checking my local CL today and saw an ad for vintage audio stuff. Listed amongst other things were these speakers-$50.
I done good!! I done real Good!! :thumb: :thumb:

WGH

Re: JBL 4312A
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2010, 05:36 pm »
OMG what a freeking deal. Welcome to the '70's! I use a pair of L100's in my shop and they still rock.  :rock:
A 125 watt/channel high current amp will make those speakers really open up and give you strong solid bass down to 40 Hz.

Wayne

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2010, 05:47 pm »
Wayne---they are sounding beautiful, I've had JBL's since I was a kid and always wanted the control monitors, the guy had walls full of old gear, some huge Klipsch like corner cabinet looking things...we got to talking about stereo gear and he says "give me $50 and they are yours", my wallet almost melted I opened it so fast!!!!! :drool: :drool: I feel like I'm 12 when I got my first drum set!!!

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2010, 05:59 pm »
Those speakers suck.......I tell myself  :lol:

Yeah, great deal, I had some L100's back in the late 70's, early 80's. These are the control monitor version of those speakers with a new, improved tweeter.

Some people have all the luck.

Wayner  :D

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2010, 06:13 pm »
Now I have 3 sets of JBL...I like the orange logo!!! What a great problem to have...which ones where?? Am I like totally wasting these as surrounds? I like the bi-amped E80's and sub I have....guess I'll just have to start another system get a nice tube integrated or hybrid and make these the mains.
I'm in on the Virtue Audio Sensation Integrated tour, thats why I was looking in the first place for some bargain speakers...its a beautiful day!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Construct

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2010, 04:14 am »
$50 is a total steal for those.  I had a pair in the 90's.  They really sounded great with an M&K sub and a clean SS amp to push them.  I saw some on consignment recently and they were $495/pr. 

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2010, 02:04 pm »
Best speakers I have ever owned in my 52 years...Its like I won the lotto!!!! :thumb:

Construct

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2010, 02:53 am »
One of the things I remember about them compared to speakers of the day was realistic SPL output with control and a higher degree of neutrality than others.  Other competing speakers in the 80's could scream at you, thump too much or sizzle badly.  I found the 4212A's to deliver music without editing too much or compressing.