iTunes Newb question

sfdoddsy

Re: iTunes Newb question
« Reply #20 on: 4 Jun 2010, 11:35 am »
A new feature in the latest version of iTunes will allow you to compress files on iPods and iPhones while you sync.   It might increase sync times but at least you don't have to have two libraries.

i have a moderately large, highish resolution iTunes library, and tried syncing using the auto compress mentioned above.

It was painfully slow. I don't have the fastest computer (latest Mac Mini), but we are talking days to sync a 16gb iPhone.

You are better off converting all your files to 128AAC and storing them in a seperate folder, then setting up a second iTunes library which links to them.

Having multiple libraries is easy. Just hit Alt or Shift when you open iTunes and it will do it for you.

I have my main library as iTunes, and my compressed library as iTunes1. When I sync the iPhone or IPad I use iTunes1. Otherwise the big library.

BobC

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jun 2010, 12:52 pm »
Hi folks, just a quick update as the OP.  I downloaded a few m4a albums.  Then after fooling around with a few different conversion programs, I used dbpoweramp to convert them to 256k wma so I can use it with my DAP and other computer software.

After my experience, I don't think you'll see me back on iTunes anytime soon.  If they offered flac, or even wav, I'd be all over it.

Thanks for all of your help.

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jun 2010, 01:02 pm »
I can't say I blame you, but I do think that you're mixing up the client-side program with the download side. I personally will be very wary about buying anything from the iTunes store again, after a couple of downloads for a radio program turned out to be very poor quality. I've not encountered (so far) any issues with iTunes when used with high-quality source material. You can't expect to download an AAC file and then convert it into a (lossless) FLAC - that doesn't make any sense. Not that I really care but it is worth identifying the specific issue I think.

BobC

« Reply #23 on: 4 Jun 2010, 01:59 pm »
OK, I understand that iTunes software and the iTunes Store are two different things.  So, if I like the iTunes software as a music organization system...are you saying I can use iTunes to store flac and will the iTunes player actually play flac?  Or am I limited to apple codecs?

skunark

« Reply #24 on: 4 Jun 2010, 02:29 pm »
Flac isn't supported my Apple, Microsoft or Sony without extra hoops.   If you want to play FLAC on Mac, Windows and PS3 you will have to use other players.     For Mac I use "cog". For windows I just reinstall Linux :) and for the PS3 I just convert to a WAV file.   

JohnR

« Reply #25 on: 4 Jun 2010, 02:33 pm »
I'm not sure I understand what is magical about FLAC - isn't one lossless format the same as any other? (Assuming you can convert existing files.)

low.pfile

« Reply #26 on: 4 Jun 2010, 02:35 pm »
OK, I understand that iTunes software and the iTunes Store are two different things.  So, if I like the iTunes software as a music organization system...are you saying I can use iTunes to store flac and will the iTunes player actually play flac?  Or am I limited to apple codecs?

As skunark states iTunes does not support FLAC. FLAC is a very good format when all the pieces are in place in your computer. To answer your question on iTunes limitations. Apple Lossless is Apples own version of a Lossless format. But both AIFF and WAV are available which is bit for bit copy of your CD.  I use AIFF for sound and ability to have album art automatically.
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2010, 03:45 pm by low.pfile »

BobC

« Reply #27 on: 4 Jun 2010, 02:48 pm »
I'm not sure I understand what is magical about FLAC - isn't one lossless format the same as any other? (Assuming you can convert existing files.)

Just that I've already ripped everything to flac and dont want to convert 1000's of files without a serious benefit.  Plus my DAP does flac, as does my Squeezebox and player software on my computer and album art is working, etc....I know I could handle other codecs, but everything seems to work now and don't want to f it all up.   :duh:

JohnR

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jun 2010, 02:49 pm »
I'm all for sticking with what works :)

low.pfile

« Reply #29 on: 4 Jun 2010, 03:46 pm »
^^^ Yeah, what he said!! No need to change boats.

rnxrx

« Reply #30 on: 14 Jun 2010, 03:01 am »

The main "magical" thing about FLAC is that it's open source and thus, to some folks, inherently preferable to proprietary formats (i.e. Apple Lossless).  From a technical perspective it's otherwise functionally equivalent. 

I use iTunes for the most part and thus Apple Lossless is convenient, but it's basically trivial to set up a script to convert to other formats if (eventually) required.