What amplifier would you purchase for $2000, used or new?

K Shep

Re: What amplifier would you purchase for $2000, used or new?
« Reply #60 on: 31 May 2010, 02:17 am »
Gentlemen,
I will soon be the proud new owner of a Butler TDB 2250. 

Congratulations!  Great looking piece of equipment.  I look forward to your impressions.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #61 on: 31 May 2010, 03:07 am »
I'm eyeballing another amp.  If someone wants a killer deal on a Cherry Jr., PM me.

Nuance

« Reply #62 on: 31 May 2010, 03:57 am »
Nuance....
You jumped....  :jester:

Good luck.... :beer:

(don't forget....two in mono, down the road :wink:)

I see that the Krell was sold as well. 8)

I did jump.  I am confident I'll like it, and if not I can sell it for what I paid (most likely).

I'm eyeballing another amp.  If someone wants a killer deal on a Cherry Jr., PM me.

May I ask what amp?

K Shep

« Reply #63 on: 31 May 2010, 04:05 am »
I'm eyeballing another amp.

May I ask what amp?

+1.  Is the new amp replacing the new Cherry Jr's?

Eric

« Reply #64 on: 31 May 2010, 04:45 am »
Take a look at some of the Monarchy amps

Big Red Machine

« Reply #65 on: 31 May 2010, 10:51 am »
I did jump.  I am confident I'll like it, and if not I can sell it for what I paid (most likely).

May I ask what amp?

Here's a little story for you.  I once met a man... No.  I was able to recently hear my Cherry up against a $10,000 BAT VK600 SE on the Soundscapes.  Let's just say I was blown away by the BAT.  The Cherry did a very nice job driving them and the Cherry excels in the midrange smoothness category.  But the BAT just everything right, and I mean everything:  the smoothest amp I have ever heard, powerful, authoritative, but always polite and never adding anything we could ascertain as the amp characteristics.  We were impressed as heck.  Someday I knew I would need to own one because this is what amps were supposed to do.  However, even used they are $6kish.  Oh well, maybe someday.

So then I started poking around and found this thread:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=28307.0  and lo and behold, the VK500 is just as sweet, if not more so.  So Mark, who I just purchased the Straley SC's from, was kind enough to elaborate some more and I knew I should pursue the 500 on Audiogon.  Now we're trying to verify it has the BatPak, which is essential for the best sound, in the amp so we can get the deal done.  I said I'd never have another 100+lb. amp in the house again, but if this thing is anything like the VK600 SE, I will be in heaven.  So now I cannot afford to keep the Cherry and a new amp so I'll have to sell the Cherry to swing the funds around onto the BAT.  And since I have a BAT VK3i preamp, I should have nice system synergy.

I also found out my old dac was causing noise in my system and the new EE is dead quiet as are the CHerry amp and BAT pre.  And with that quiet background, the dynamics step up another notch.  This is getting fun again.

Here's a little story for you.  I once met a man... No.  I was able to recently hear my Cherry up against a $10,000 BAT VK600 SE on the Soundscapes.  Let's just say I was blown away by the BAT.  The Cherry did a very nice job driving them and the Cherry excels in the midrange smoothness category.  But the BAT just everything right, and I mean everything:  the smoothest amp I have ever heard, powerful, authoritative, but always polite and never adding anything we could ascertain as the amp characteristics.  We were impressed as heck.  Someday I knew I would need to own one because this is what amps were supposed to do.  However, even used they are $6kish.  Oh well, maybe someday.

So then I started poking around and found this thread:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=28307.0  and lo and behold, the VK500 is just as sweet, if not more so.  So Mark, who I just purchased the Straley SC's from, was kind enough to elaborate some more and I knew I should pursue the 500 on Audiogon.  Now we're trying to verify it has the BatPak, which is essential for the best sound, in the amp so we can get the deal done.  I said I'd never have another 100+lb. amp in the house again, but if this thing is anything like the VK600 SE, I will be in heaven.  So now I cannot afford to keep the Cherry and a new amp so I'll have to sell the Cherry to swing the funds around onto the BAT.  And since I have a BAT VK3i preamp, I should have nice system synergy.

I also found out my old dac was causing noise in my system and the new EE is dead quiet as are the CHerry amp and BAT pre.  And with that quiet background, the dynamics step up another notch.  This is getting fun again.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #66 on: 31 May 2010, 11:01 am »
Having difficulty responding in the text box today so I pasted as an image.

PMAT

« Reply #67 on: 31 May 2010, 02:22 pm »
Ah! The sicknessssss.  :eyebrows: There is no cure. life pulls you in other directions and its seems like you are cured. "My system is righteous, I just know it". Then.......... The sicknesssss. The needle to the vein. Selling your beloved items to feed it.  :icon_twisted: So good, so good.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #68 on: 31 May 2010, 02:47 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=28307.0

That's the thread I referred to above.

revrob

« Reply #69 on: 1 Jun 2010, 09:30 pm »
Big Red,

I followed your journey to find that perfect amp and I thought you were all set with the Cherry. What made you choose the BAT over the Cherry? I know what it is like to be on a journey to find the right sound.

Good luck,
Steve

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #70 on: 1 Jun 2010, 09:41 pm »
I have been looking at the Creek 5350SE, a friend is moving and is selling it for less than 1k. Seems like a good deal.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #71 on: 1 Jun 2010, 10:32 pm »
Big Red,

I followed your journey to find that perfect amp and I thought you were all set with the Cherry. What made you choose the BAT over the Cherry? I know what it is like to be on a journey to find the right sound.

Good luck,
Steve

I posted above.  The system sounds really good with the Cherry for sure.  But with the hope of owning Soundscapes someday and having heard them with the BAT, I happened across a nice deal on a BAT so I thought I'd pursue that.  The BAT is both powerful and neutral across the frequency spectrum.  The Cherry goes up for sale momentarily. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #72 on: 2 Jun 2010, 12:51 am »
Congrats Nuance  :thumb:  Real nice looking unit, and from all the high class input should be what you are looking for. Enjoy and keep us posted.

However, I'll believe the "but this needs to be my permanent amp for a good 10 years." when I see it. Not that you may not keep it for the occasional swap, but you're an addict now. You'll continue to look for that sweet new high (note) not too far down the road.
Ah! The sicknessssss.  :eyebrows: There is no cure. life pulls you in other directions and its seems like you are cured. "My system is righteous, I just know it". Then.......... The sicknesssss. The needle to the vein. Selling your beloved items to feed it.  :icon_twisted: So good, so good.
:eyebrows:

revrob

« Reply #73 on: 2 Jun 2010, 01:01 am »
I posted above.  The system sounds really good with the Cherry for sure.  But with the hope of owning Soundscapes someday and having heard them with the BAT, I happened across a nice deal on a BAT so I thought I'd pursue that.  The BAT is both powerful and neutral across the frequency spectrum.  The Cherry goes up for sale momentarily.

Thanks for the info. One of the reason I went with the Wyred4Sound versus a Pass Labs amp was the weight. At 53 and my back not what is used to be I decided I needed something lighter. I really thought hard about this and so that is one of the reason I didn't go with the Pass. When I married the Wyred with the Joule preamp I was all set with my Salk HT3.

When are you purchasing the Soundscapes? Happy listening.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #74 on: 2 Jun 2010, 02:13 am »
Thanks for the info. One of the reason I went with the Wyred4Sound versus a Pass Labs amp was the weight. At 53 and my back not what is used to be I decided I needed something lighter. I really thought hard about this and so that is one of the reason I didn't go with the Pass. When I married the Wyred with the Joule preamp I was all set with my Salk HT3.

When are you purchasing the Soundscapes? Happy listening.

I spoke with another member here tonight who shares my opinion that the WYreds are a better choice than Pass and that was my experience.  I'm not enamored with a 105 lb amp coming my way but this should be better than the PAss was at 150 lbs.!

Nuance

« Reply #75 on: 2 Jun 2010, 02:36 am »
Congrats Nuance  :thumb:  Real nice looking unit, and from all the high class input should be what you are looking for. Enjoy and keep us posted.

However, I'll believe the "but this needs to be my permanent amp for a good 10 years." when I see it. Not that you may not keep it for the occasional swap, but you're an addict now. You'll continue to look for that sweet new high (note) not too far down the road.  :eyebrows:

LOL!  Well, I can't argue with that.  Just don't tell my wife.  :lol: :shh:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #76 on: 2 Jun 2010, 03:21 am »
Responding the original question, I would prefer a new integrated(passive) Odyssei Cyclops SE, just $1300  :drool:

ajzepp

« Reply #77 on: 2 Jun 2010, 04:07 am »
Nuance....congrats on the decision and welcome to the club! Like both Lonewolf and Robin, I'm a strong proponent of the Butler amps. I have a 2250 and a 5150 that I use to actively biamp my Magnepan 3.6s. I tell you what, I loved this amp when I had it running my DeVore Super 8s, and I love it even more now. As you know, Maggies love and need lots of clean current, and the Butlers deliver it in spades. I've been using Butler amplification for the last 4.5 years and have absolutely no interest in changing that. IMO, these are some of the most underrated amps on the market.  :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #78 on: 2 Jun 2010, 04:14 am »
IMO, these are some of the most underrated amps on the market.

You might be right about that.
Nice amps if you need power with a smear of color.  :wink:

ajzepp

« Reply #79 on: 2 Jun 2010, 04:25 am »
I used to be in the camp that "all amps sound alike" until I fired up the Butler.  :thumb: