connect to both inputs on my ref9V2 amps?

nidas

connect to both inputs on my ref9V2 amps?
« on: 23 May 2010, 07:03 pm »
Hi

Can I connect to both my inputs (both XLR & RCA) at the same time and switch between them without destroying the amp or any other gear?
I have both a surround reciever and an EAR Tube preamp and since my preamp doesen´t have any home theatre pass through I was thinking of hooking up my Main L & R Pre-outs from my Onkyo surround reciever to the RCA inputs on my Nuforce amps and at the same time hooking up my EAR preamp XLR output to the XLR input on my Nuforce amps and just flick the switch when I listen to music or when I want to see a movie (unbalanced/balanced)...

Could this harm my amps or any other equipment? Is it very important to shut down all other components when I flick the switch between balanced/unbalanced?

Is it anything else I have missed?

Cheers and yes this is my first post on this forum...

JayDoubleU

Re: connect to both inputs on my ref9V2 amps?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2010, 10:41 pm »
I think the Ref9 manual is very clear on this point: you can NOT connect both RCA and XLR inputs on them. The swirch is not a switch between te two inputs. I'm not sure if it will destroy the amp, but wouldn't take any chances...

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2010, 12:19 am »
The switch is used for changing the grounding. If you connect to both inputs, you are summing the signal. Don't do that. Use a preamp :)

nidas

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2010, 12:52 pm »
Sorry I didn´t read the manual properly... I just got them and I will just hook my pre-outs from my reciever into my tube preamp.

cheers