Depeche Mod- I would like some advice....

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Depeche Mod- I would like some advice....
« on: 19 May 2010, 03:50 am »
OK..I never heard a Depeche Mod album and I want to check them out..can you guys recommend some. :thumb: :thumb:
 Thank you
 Ed L.
-last time I asked about Radiohead and now I own most if not all of their work..:)

Delta Wave

Re: Depeche Mod- I would like some advice....
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2010, 03:57 am »
Can't help you on those guys.  :nono:  :D

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2010, 03:59 am »
"And the always enjoyable, giant inflatable beaver" - Bob Costas, 2010 Winter Olympic closing ceremonies.

I always read that and chuckle every time!!!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2010, 04:02 am »
1. Songs of Faith and Devotion. Their best. No question. Amazing.
2. Violator. A close second.
3. Black Celebration
4. Music for the Masses
5. Everything else.....

That's my list and I'm sticking to it  8)

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2010, 04:05 am »
Perfect starting place...thank you so much!! :thumb:

Delta Wave

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2010, 04:07 am »
"And the always enjoyable, giant inflatable beaver" - Bob Costas, 2010 Winter Olympic closing ceremonies.

I always read that and chuckle every time!!!

Man, I spit beer out of my nose when he said it... I was watching it live.  :lol:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2010, 04:15 am »
1. Songs of Faith and Devotion, on its way, thank you kind sirs!! :thumb:

mchuckp

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2010, 04:53 am »
I'm a BIG fan of Violator.  I have an import that includes one of the best 5.1 mixes I have heard.  Too bad I don't have 5.1 anymore.  One of those sacrifices for optimum stereo performance.  I digress.  Violator is a GREAT album.

low.pfile

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2010, 08:39 am »
Ed,
I would start at the very beginning to understand their roots and how they helped establish a genre. That would be the Speak & Spell album from 1981. Just Can't Get Enough being the hit a top hit. Founder Vincent Clark leaves the band after this album (see Yaz/Yazoo). Sound quality is a bit typical of 80s CDs--poor.

Alternatively, you could get The Singles 81-85 a compilation album. It highlights the seminal DM sound. Synthesizer lead, with strong pop hooks some early industrial. I have 3 of their "best of" albums and this is the best of the older material from a sound quality perspective.

I find Music for the Masses a classic. The songs range from experimental, dark, introspective, minimal sounds, to choral. When you've finished listening you have something to think about. My second top DM album.

To me Violator was their last album with their signature sound, while guitar comes out from the background to mix things up. This album it is well connected, consistent and solid. I feel it has the most number of accessible songs to date.

Songs of Faith and Devotion is the start of a divergent sound for DM, they use much more raw guitar and dropped the heavy synth keyboard. There is an underlying tone of turmoil tension confusion in the music. It is soulful and uncharacteristic.  Though as much as I like the classic DM, this is likely my most played DM album in the last few years.

I have most of their newer albums but they don't get a lot of play time; just a couple of cool songs on each.

Also consider renting/streaming their movies: documentary: Depeche Mode - 101 movie, and Depeche Mode-videos, for even more exposure.

cheers, ed

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2010, 11:52 am »
I think that some of DMs newer LPs are great. I love Playing the Angle, Sounds of the Universe and Exciter. I have all LPs and CDs, preferring the LPs.

Wayner  :D

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2010, 11:56 am »
I think that some of DMs newer LPs are great. I love Playing the Angle, Sounds of the Universe and Exciter. I have all LPs and CDs, preferring the LPs.

Thanks guys!! I actually have "Sounds of the Universe" and forgot..old age!! Will check it out today... :duh:

viggen

« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2010, 04:28 pm »
One of my daily staples during my teenage years.  My favorite albums are Some Great Reward and Black Celebration.  I have most 45s remixed singles of that era too.  My interest in the band died off after Music for the Masses though. Similar with my other fave bands during the era, New Order didn't do too well after Technique and Petshop Boys after Very IMO.

Lyrics for Shake the Disease, Somebody and But Not Tonight are still very salient.

low.pfile

« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2010, 04:53 pm »

For me, of the newer albums, I really like Playing the Angel, but Exciter and Ultra and Sounds of.... don't do it for me. I do listen to depeche "a little bit"  :wink: ....

^play count is only from 2007 on.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2010, 05:20 pm »
I do "Enjoy the silence"  :thumb:
Have you heard the cover version?