update on the " tombstones "

versus rider

update on the " tombstones "
« on: 18 May 2010, 04:39 pm »
So its been a few weeks now since I got my ob's working and have now got a Rotel RB981 for the bass, 130w/channel through a behringer digital crossover. Bass is great, even better when sat back in my chair against the back wall, probably the way most people have to listen and not by choice. Very natural sounding. Been busy of late and unable to spare the time to take some readings, but will post as soon as I can.

gvimhoof

Re: update on the " tombstones "
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2010, 12:57 am »
Glad to see the finished project :thumb:.  I see you didn't go for the 1kw amps on the Alpha 15s.  What are you using for the FR on top?  I went back and looked at the other threads, but I must be blind.  I really like the look, dude. 

versus rider

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2010, 06:38 am »
Hi thanks, full range is using bottlehead paramour 2A3 set mono's with a Yaqin valve phono/pre amp controlling both amps. Gain is adjusted on the behringer crossover to balance with fr. I tried a gainclone amp I built some time ago and initially I thought the hf was better if a little harsh at times. But having put the 2A3's back in somhow the bass sounded better, even though they have nothing to do with the bass. Maybe its the frquencies down to the 120hz crossover point that are  better. The baffles are not finished aesthetically and are raw mdf at the moment. I will have to be tough on myself at some point and remove the drivers and complete them.  Some sanding, sealing and then possibly a granite effect plastikote paint finish to match my diy turntable.   

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2010, 03:45 pm »
Props to you if you can disassemble and complete the cosmetics - my 5 year old baffles are STILL raw mdf...

versus rider

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2010, 09:30 pm »
Props to you if you can disassemble and complete the cosmetics - my 5 year old baffles are STILL raw mdf...
I have a bake off to attend with them in June where I hope to get some positive feedback from the guys and constructive criticism before I work on the finish. All going well I intend to market these  with plate amps fitted, so the customer only need supply a low powered amp, plug and play.

krips

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2010, 06:42 am »
Those look great. :) FYI 'Tombstones' has already been taken by a design by Jed at htguide...

versus rider

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2010, 05:22 pm »
Those look great. :) FYI 'Tombstones' has already been taken by a design by Jed at htguide...
oh well such is life

versus rider

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2010, 06:59 pm »

now sporting a pair of tractrix horns and BMS compression drivers from 2Khz up. Really starting to get somewhere with this set up.