Good news and bad news

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Good news and bad news
« Reply #40 on: 20 Jun 2010, 06:47 pm »
Maybe they are, but I'm not paying big bucks for Chinese made audio equipment.

Napalm

« Reply #41 on: 20 Jun 2010, 07:01 pm »

Now this is correct thinking.

If they moved production there to save some bucks, I want to share this benefit too. If the CEO wants all of it for his bonus, then this he gets  :finger:

Nap. 

vegasdave

« Reply #42 on: 20 Jun 2010, 07:21 pm »

If they moved production there to save some bucks, I want to share this benefit too. If the CEO wants all of it for his bonus, then this he gets  :finger:

Nap. 

Exactly.

Ryanz

« Reply #43 on: 20 Jun 2010, 07:52 pm »

Nap.

Very well put!  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #44 on: 20 Jun 2010, 07:55 pm »

:lol: ... you think..... the entire increasing large landfill here in Saskatoon is full of chinese made crap that shouldve lasted longer. Speaker cabinets might be better but definetly not electronics... no way.

KeithA

« Reply #45 on: 20 Jun 2010, 09:46 pm »

That's fair...at least that's better than a mindless, unsupported statement that all "non-Domestic' gear is junk  :wink:

I see you like Black Sabbath from your posts in the 'What Are You Currently Listening To" thread...

Look who owns and endorses Chinese-made Monitor Audio PL300s :o :o :o

Funny  :lol:

Keith

KeithA

« Reply #46 on: 20 Jun 2010, 09:56 pm »
Connected the Transporter to the BP26 as an analog connection using XLRs, and to the BDA-1 using a BNC/BNC 75 ohm coax SPDIF cable (which turns out to be a very hard part to acquire).

With those two connections, can now do A/B comparison between the Transporter and BDA-1.  It is too early to make a definitive statement - there is an audible difference, but I can't characterize it yet.  Need more hours and different music. 

What I can say is that both sources do a great job, and the 4BSST2 seems to handle the KEF 205/2 without a problem.

I have a Transporter feeding my BDA-1 as well. I tried the Transporter vs BDA-1 comparison and I agree there is a difference. However, both are great and I ultimately decided to use the BDA-1 fed by the Transporter. However, if the BDA-1 disappeared...I could easily live with the Transporter.

That's what I like about the Transporter. At some point it will make its way into my living room system as a stand-alone player with a great DAC. I may even get a second Transporter later in the year.

Keith

vegasdave

« Reply #47 on: 20 Jun 2010, 10:43 pm »
That's fair...at least that's better than a mindless, unsupported statement that all "non-Domestic' gear is junk  :wink:

I see you like Black Sabbath from your posts in the 'What Are You Currently Listening To" thread...

Look who owns and endorses Chinese-made Monitor Audio PL300s :o :o :o

Funny  :lol:

Keith

Yes I do. Yes, that's guitarist Tony Iommi in that pic...where did you find that?

vegasdave

« Reply #48 on: 20 Jun 2010, 10:44 pm »
:lol: ... you think..... the entire increasing large landfill here in Saskatoon is full of chinese made crap that shouldve lasted longer. Speaker cabinets might be better but definetly not electronics... no way.

I agree.

whanafi

« Reply #49 on: 20 Jun 2010, 11:43 pm »
The price a manufacturer charges could be cost plus (design, engineering, bill of materials, labour, shipping, distribution and marketing, sales, taxes) in which case you get what you pay for.  The margin is usually small, and they work on volume.  Or it could be what the market will bear.  The audio industry leans heavily to the later for audiophiles, to the former for everybody else.

Walmart and Canadian Tire couldn't exist without China.  The North American consumer wants a certain standard of living, but isn't willing to pay for goods built under that same regime.  If you want cheap, then the vendors have to control costs somewhere, and that currently means using manufacturing/sourcing in countries that don't have high labour costs or environmental controls.

Again, manufacturing in China is not a guarantee of crap quality.  If you are old enough, this is the same reputation that Japan used to have, then Taiwan, then Korea, now China.  Get used to the fact that these are driven, hungry, ambitious people and they go up the learning curve incredibly fast. 

What you should really be worried about is that new research is starting to be published in Chinese only.  We have all long benefited from that fact that we didn't have to learn two or more languages to get ahead, and that everybody was coming to our universities and working for our companies. 

What are you going to do when your competitor is publishing in Mandarin and you have no idea what is going on?
[soapbox off]

werd

« Reply #50 on: 20 Jun 2010, 11:50 pm »
The price a manufacturer charges could be cost plus (design, engineering, bill of materials, labour, shipping, distribution and marketing, sales, taxes) in which case you get what you pay for.  The margin is usually small, and they work on volume.  Or it could be what the market will bear.  The audio industry leans heavily to the later for audiophiles, to the former for everybody else.

Walmart and Canadian Tire couldn't exist without China.  The North American consumer wants a certain standard of living, but isn't willing to pay for goods built under that same regime.  If you want cheap, then the vendors have to control costs somewhere, and that currently means using manufacturing/sourcing in countries that don't have high labour costs or environmental controls.

Again, manufacturing in China is not a guarantee of crap quality.  If you are old enough, this is the same reputation that Japan used to have, then Taiwan, then Korea, now China.  Get used to the fact that these are driven, hungry, ambitious people and they go up the learning curve incredibly fast. 

What you should really be worried about is that new research is starting to be published in Chinese only.  We have all long benefited from that fact that we didn't have to learn two or more languages to get ahead, and that everybody was coming to our universities and working for our companies. 

What are you going to do when your competitor is publishing in Mandarin and you have no idea what is going on?
[soapbox off]

And ????. who says these things are cheap in price anyways if you have to keep replacing them everyyear.... Its all junk and our landfills are all the proof you should need.

whanafi

« Reply #51 on: 20 Jun 2010, 11:58 pm »
And ????. who says these things are cheap in price anyways if you have to keep replacing them everyyear.... Its all junk and our landfills are all the proof you should need.

Isn't that the point?  You get what you pay for.  The old family owned company in Southern Ontario that used to produce a fantastic tool at a certain price was put out of business by the relentless drive for cost reductions from the big chains. 

To sell through Walmart and the others, you have to meet incredible volume and delivery specifications.  We passed because we couldn't compromise on quality - you had to ship within a 6 hour window directly to their warehouses and a ton of other requirements - the risk and cost is all on the manufacturers who desperately seek out ways to keep cutting costs.

I find it humourous/ironic/sad that Apple has such a high reputation, yet all its stuff is made in China.  It seems the flag waving stops when something is deemed cool.

werd

« Reply #52 on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:10 am »
Isn't that the point?  You get what you pay for.  The old family owned company in Southern Ontario that used to produce a fantastic tool at a certain price was put out of business by the relentless drive for cost reductions from the big chains. 

To sell through Walmart and the others, you have to meet incredible volume and delivery specifications.  We passed because we couldn't compromise on quality - you had to ship within a 6 hour window directly to their warehouses and a ton of other requirements - the risk and cost is all on the manufacturers who desperately seek out ways to keep cutting costs.

I find it humourous/ironic/sad that Apple has such a high reputation, yet all its stuff is made in China.  It seems the flag waving stops when something is deemed cool.

yes to all that,  :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #53 on: 21 Jun 2010, 02:50 am »

Who cares, by then there would be no one to read them in English either, they'll all be MBA's.

Sarcasm off.

Nap.

vegasdave

« Reply #54 on: 21 Jun 2010, 04:17 am »

Sad but true.

KeithA

« Reply #55 on: 21 Jun 2010, 09:11 am »
Yes I do. Yes, that's guitarist Tony Iommi in that pic...where did you find that?

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/music/endorsements/tony-iommi/overview

vegasdave

« Reply #56 on: 21 Jun 2010, 10:03 am »