Think I got my Teres base....

JoshK

« on: 24 Jan 2003, 03:16 pm »
I happened to be in Marshalls last night. You know the discount store?  :roll:   My wife wanted to show me these rugs she saw (btw, I got a really good rug for in front on my system).  Well I happened to be bored and wandering and voila I hit what I think is the mother load.  They had a whole isle filled with cutting boards.  Not just any kind of cutting boards but 3" thick cutting boards made from solid wood that weigh close to 20#s each.  In amongst the mess of them was a 12" round (perfectly) by 3" thick solid cutting board.  The first thing that popped into my brain was TERES!!! Turns out it has a couple of minor scratches so I got it for $15.  

I also picked out a 18" round by 3" thick block (had tons of these btw at $22/each) that I will use under my table as support.  Now I need to construct an arm pod or buy a redpoint one, then start collecting the pieces to build the Teres.  Maybe I'll get around to this sooner than I thought.  Who knows?

nathanm

« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2003, 03:50 pm »
That sounds like a cool idea, kind of like a wedding cake in wood.  Pretty cool that you got it so cheap considering in its intended use it would get a LOT more scratches in it! heh!  My grandma used to have a huge butcher block on wooden legs in her kitchen.  That thing was about 1.5' thick!  I doubt she knew she owned such an ideal piece of analog playback gear! :wink:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2003, 04:07 pm »
Josh,

They have rectangular or square to put under amps?  3" is great...thickest I've seen is usually 2" (often maple) at about $59 at best for decent square of round blocks.  Been stalking a local Sur La Table (gourmet store) for a while...little do those foodies know why I'm caressing their chopping blocks!!!

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2003, 04:12 pm »
I did indeed pick up a 19 x 14 x 2" thick chopping block for my CD player.  They didn't have any rectangular blocks 3" thick, only round.

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2003, 04:34 pm »
Ever get that feeling when you're in a store looking to repurpose some totally unrelated thing for audio use, that if any of the sales people ask you if they can help you find something you won't really know what to say? Ha!

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2003, 05:12 pm »
All the time!  :oops:

Actually the local hardware store owner has come to the conclusion to let me just wander and look around rather than try to help me.  He did say though, "I like creative people"

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2003, 10:33 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
Ever get that feeling when you're in a store looking to repurpose some totally unrelated thing for audio use, that if any of the sales people ask you if they can help you find something you won't really know what to say? Ha!

=================
My wife gave up asking me what 'I'm doing with that' in my hands.  She now knows, if it doesn't add up and make sense, it's an audiotweek.

Yeah, exactly how do you explain to salespeople why you are looking for some things in their store?

I bought lens cleaner at a Ritz Camera and the guy asked me what type of camera I had. When I told him it was to clean my CD's, he laughed heartily, then realized that it made some sense after all and started asking me questions.  It was actually crappy lens cleaner - the best is Kodak Optical lens cleaner - it really works.  But, I digress, this is The Vinyl Circle  :nono:

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2003, 05:47 am »
Cool, sounds like a good score Josh! I hope I'll make some progress on my armboard this weekend, should be straightforward I think. We'll see, anyway I'll let you know what happens :-)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2003, 04:54 pm »
Josh,

I went to local Marshall's here north of San Francisco and all they had was cheapo Roscan cutting boards.  They were barely 1' thick and no where near 20 lbs. each.  No worth buying these for audio.

I've worked with TJX Companies before (parent of TJ Maxx and Marshall's based in New England) and they often have different things available in stores on the East and West Coasts.  The New England office buys nationally and for the East Coast and an LA office buys stuff for West Coast stores - so maybe the real thick-cut boards aren't in the West Coast stores.  Or, maybe my store is puny and they only sent those nice boards to 'A' stores in the chain.

They had those rugs though...my wife, too, dragged me in under those pretenses.  She's never seen me so happy to go to Marshall's..then she found out my ulterior motive behind was the cutting boards. :evil:

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2003, 11:21 pm »
I ordered the rest of the parts for the Teres TT plus a drill press and some high quality forstner bits, so I think I am committed at this point (no pun intended).  

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2003, 04:38 pm »
Received the Teres parts, and am impressed with their build.  The clamp is ultra heavy for a clamp!  When I was in MI last weekend my mother-in-law gave me a 4" x 4" (4 1" pieces laminated) x 16+" piece of oak.  I think this will be the material I use for my arm pods.  Any creative ideas on how to make the arm pods?  I have a couple of ideas but am always looking for a more creative approach.

beat

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2003, 06:11 pm »
so the pieces are 1x1x16? glued together on the sides to make one 4x4x16?

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2003, 06:46 pm »
actually like 1" x 4" x 16" glued together

beat

« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2003, 03:55 am »
uh yeah, nice math beat,
my math would have only yielded 2x2.  What is your overall visual goal with your table? An integrated look? or more modular where everything is distinctively separate? If you have the whole round theme going but want to break it up alittle you could use the oak and leave it rectangular but give all the pieces the same edge treatment. Is this the kind of feedback you were looking for? or more technical? pm me if you want. I'm trying to figure out how in the heck to get all my stone to jive. I got a lead on bearings and I think I will fab my own tonearm. You may laugh but I'm thinking of carving it out of ebony or an old cello bow (pernambuco wood) I think it would look sweet against all the stone.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #14 on: 1 Mar 2003, 11:57 am »
Quote from: nathanm

Reminds me of looking for silk ribbon for a turntable belt. I went to all the local craft/sewing/fabric stores, and all the ladies there looked at me like I was either crazy or totally gay.

I finally found Bucilla silk that should work but I haven't yet done the tweak.  (BTW, Walker's Proscenium TT uses silk ribbon as its belt).