Zero Surge Protectors

pardales

Re: Zero Surge Protectors
« Reply #40 on: 18 May 2010, 04:54 am »
Is one of these audio specific units comparable to something like the PS Audio Quintet?
« Last Edit: 18 May 2010, 01:28 pm by pardales »

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #41 on: 18 May 2010, 05:05 am »
I bought one of the 8 outlet versions a few years back when they were
Brickwall Surge protectors. As others have posted, there is not deleterious
effects on sound when using one. Having no MOVs and able to withstand
hundreds, if not thousands of surges, it was a no brainer.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 18 May 2010, 12:28 pm »
Is one of these audio specific units comparable to something like the PS Audio Quintent?

I went to the PS site and they really don't tell you what they use.  It's hard to say.  Maybe someone that knows will chime in.  ????

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #43 on: 18 May 2010, 02:53 pm »
I went to the PS site and they really don't tell you what they use.  It's hard to say.  Maybe someone that knows will chime in.  ????
They use transorbs, which is a bidirectional supression diode:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_voltage_suppression_diode

They then have a replaceable module that is with a bank of MOVs used as a secondary line of protection.  It is the MOVs that make noise after some hits.

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 18 May 2010, 02:55 pm »
They use transorbs, which is a bidirectional supression diode:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_voltage_suppression_diode

They then have a replaceable module that is with a bank of MOVs used as a secondary line of protection.  It is the MOVs that make noise after some hits.

Dave

Ahh.  There you have it folks!!!  Zero Surge is more then likely better...

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #45 on: 18 May 2010, 06:17 pm »
I've had a Zero Surge for 3-4 years and no damage to any component in my system after several thunderstorms and nearby lightning strikes that took out the grid power.  I like the circuit design.  No-brainer.

pardales

« Reply #46 on: 18 May 2010, 07:17 pm »
Ahh.  There you have it folks!!!  Zero Surge is more then likely better...

Okay.....I wasn't sure what that meant. So which model is considered good for audio?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: 18 May 2010, 07:54 pm »
Okay.....I wasn't sure what that meant. So which model is considered good for audio?

What I did is this.  Since I use a PI Audio MuthaBuss I am going to use the 8R15T (#006-00711)  -  $249.00 

If you aren't going to use any other type of filtration maybe you should look at the 8R15T-I (#006-00713)  -  $286.00 which has addt'l filtering for analog and digital. 

The TSC technology seems a bit better according to the posted data on the site.  Either way it's better then none.

bacobits1

« Reply #48 on: 18 May 2010, 08:04 pm »
http://www.positive-feedback.com/ambackissues/brickwall.htm
another review
http://www.soundstage.com/video/revequip/brickwall_8r15aud.htm

http://brickwall.thomasnet.com/category/audio-surge-protectors?

Same as Zero Surge protectors. I have been using this for at least 7 years when everybody was going crazy with all kinds of filters and expensive surge protectors. I have had those others such as a Power Wedge and this is better.

D

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #50 on: 19 May 2010, 01:37 am »
Just thought I'd pass on this info. 

In answer to your question about the right angle plug, all of our 2 outlet models come with it, except our new 2RF8W which has an IEC cord with a straight plug.

The large units have a hard wired powercord with a right angle plug.

highfilter

« Reply #51 on: 20 May 2010, 08:01 pm »
I just ordered one of these units and would like to thank jtwrace for posting this. Great find and great product.

There's also another sweet deal going on for this. If you order now and mention the code, you get 20% off and if you just order the regular WVR models, they will ask you to upgrade to a TSC technology unit for only $10. The lady on the phone said the $10 upgrade deal wasn't going to start until next week or a few more weeks, but she told me about it and gave it to me anyway.

So I got the 8R15W-I (#002-00713) ($229), automatically upgraded to the 8R15T-I (#006-00713) ($286) for only $10 more!

Sonny

« Reply #52 on: 20 May 2010, 08:28 pm »
I just ordered one of these units and would like to thank jtwrace for posting this. Great find and great product.

There's also another sweet deal going on for this. If you order now and mention the code, you get 20% off and if you just order the regular WVR models, they will ask you to upgrade to a TSC technology unit for only $10. The lady on the phone said the $10 upgrade deal wasn't going to start until next week or a few more weeks, but she told me about it and gave it to me anyway.

So I got the 8R15W-I (#002-00713) ($229), automatically upgraded to the 8R15T-I (#006-00713) ($286) for only $10 more!

thanks for the info.  I've been lurking here and may take this opporutnity to buy the 8R15T-I, may I ask what the total was including shipping?

Thanks

highfilter

« Reply #53 on: 21 May 2010, 05:08 pm »
thanks for the info.  I've been lurking here and may take this opporutnity to buy the 8R15T-I, may I ask what the total was including shipping?

Thanks

PM Sent.  Can't wait to get this unit. Time to replace the old-el-cheapo protector I currently have and get something properly constructed.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: 21 May 2010, 05:11 pm »

You're welcome.   :thumb:

Sonny

« Reply #55 on: 8 Jun 2010, 05:45 pm »
Any reviews yet from those that purchased a zero surge?
thanks
T

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #56 on: 8 Jun 2010, 06:10 pm »
Any reviews yet from those that purchased a zero surge?
thanks
T

None of my equipment has burnt up after the latest storms I've had.  They've been nasty...

Sonny

« Reply #57 on: 8 Jun 2010, 06:21 pm »
None of my equipment has burnt up after the latest storms I've had.  They've been nasty...

Well that's good news, but has it made a "noticeable" difference in the sound of the system, either good or bad?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #58 on: 8 Jun 2010, 06:22 pm »
Well that's good news, but has it made a "noticeable" difference in the sound of the system, either good or bad?

No sonic change at all.  I'm only using it on certain pieces as my amps draw way to much current for the 15A Zero Surge unit that I bought. 

Nick77

« Reply #59 on: 8 Jun 2010, 06:23 pm »
They are suppose to some electrical filtering, any reports?