Zero Surge Protectors

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Zero Surge Protectors
« on: 6 May 2010, 06:15 pm »
http://www.zerosurge.com/index.cfm is offering 20% discount on ALL the products as long as you are a new customer. 

You can see the deal here: http://www.zerosurge.com/whatsnew.cfm?PType=Res

Donna is full of knowledge and very helpful. 

Also be sure to mention Audio Circle as Donna knows about this post
« Last Edit: 7 May 2010, 11:03 am by jtwrace »

nocrapman

Re: Zero Surge Protectors
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2010, 03:24 am »
Anyone have experience with these?
Never heard of these before... but seems like a nice product...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2010, 10:05 am »
Highly rated surge gear.  I have one behind my TV in the family room for the surround system there.

Nick77

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2010, 11:05 am »
Anyone have their panel mount system? Thinking about the 2@120v panel mount, that way i can protect numerious outlets. Also they say their units filter out rmi and efi, just wondering how effective the filtering is?

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2010, 11:23 am »
I have two: one for office (computer, printer, etc.) and the audio specific one (w/ filters) for CDP, pre, DVD, TV, and cable box. Cannot say how effective they are since I have not experienced a surge (AFAIK), nor did I compare my audio system before and after. I can say that I am not plagued at all by any EMI or RFI issues (AFAIK). The technology seemed to make more sense to me than MOVs, but I am not an electrical engineer so what do I know.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2010, 11:24 am »
Anyone have their panel mount system? Thinking about the 2@120v panel mount, that way i can protect numerious outlets. Also they say their units filter out rmi and efi, just wondering how effective the filtering is?

I don't have them but am eyeing them as well.  I have a powergy unit which is MOV's.   :(  I ordered two units yesterday so I'm going to get those installed and see.  Then call Donna back....she's super nice to deal with.  Try it!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2010, 11:59 am »

I have one just like that.  I had the electrician install it with Porter ports for outlets.  Connected each 20 amp circuits to 2 opposing slots (20 amp breakers) in the main panel for balance.  It's dedicated to 2 channel audio.  I don't know about filtering but I figure it's as safe and stable as I can get in a crowded suburban location.  I use a regenerator with battery backup (AC/DC/AC) after that for small electronics and couple of amps just to be doubly safe.  :wink: 

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2010, 12:13 pm »
Which is the 'audio specific' one?

I have two: one for office (computer, printer, etc.) and the audio specific one (w/ filters) for CDP, pre, DVD, TV, and cable box. Cannot say how effective they are since I have not experienced a surge (AFAIK), nor did I compare my audio system before and after. I can say that I am not plagued at all by any EMI or RFI issues (AFAIK). The technology seemed to make more sense to me than MOVs, but I am not an electrical engineer so what do I know.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2010, 12:20 pm »
Which is the 'audio specific' one?

I think he's talking about the http://www.zerosurge.com/commercialindustrial.cfm

rockadanny

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2010, 12:45 pm »
By "audio specific" I meant this one: 8R15W-I (each duplex receptacle is isolated to help prevent interference and cross talk). As opposed to this one for my office equipment: 8R15W.

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2010, 12:55 pm »
By "audio specific" I meant this one: 8R15W-I (each duplex receptacle is isolated to help prevent interference and cross talk). As opposed to this one for my office equipment: 8R15W.

I wonder what they mean by the receptacle is "isolated"?  It's "isolated" in what way?  I'm considering getting one or two of the 20 amp modules, but I would be attaching these to two independent isolated ground receptacles (each receptacle on its own 20 amp circuit, both are isolated ground).  I could get a 15 amp module instead of one of the 20 amp modules, if the "isolated" receptacles were of some benefit. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 7 May 2010, 12:58 pm »
I wonder what they mean by the receptacle is "isolated"?  It's "isolated" in what way?  I'm considering getting one or two of the 20 amp modules, but I would be attaching these to two independent isolated ground receptacles (each receptacle on its own 20 amp circuit, both are isolated ground).  I could get a 15 amp module instead of one of the 20 amp modules, if the "isolated" receptacles were of some benefit.

I went for two units that don't have the extra isolation.  My thinking was that one I'm going to use for my computer.  The other on the stereo but I have the MuthaBuss (PI Audio) so didn't think that I need the isolation as the Mutha will take care of all the possible crosstalk.

Occam

« Reply #12 on: 7 May 2010, 01:38 pm »

I believe they're referring to isolation of outlet's noise from each other as the outlets provided are not isolated ground. The only way to provide such isolation is with series reactive elements, resistor, thermistor and/or inductive, typically with added capacitive shunt elements. Most probably each outlet has its own L-C filter.

ctviggen

« Reply #13 on: 7 May 2010, 01:44 pm »
That makes sense.  So, the benefit would then be that any noise caused by equipment plugged into a receptacle would then be filtered out relative to equipment plugged into a different receptacle? 

I have to figure out, I guess, what's going to be plugged into this system.  I have a battery powered preamp, so that shouldn't introduce noise.  However, I'm also going to have a home theater processor on this.  So maybe the 15 amp for the secondary equipment and the 20 amp for the seven (to nine) channels I'll be amplifying.

bacobits1

« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2010, 01:45 pm »
I have the Brick Wall equivalent for a long time now. I hear no difference with or without it which is good from my perspective.
Just concerned with the protection involved. I guess Price Wheeler who manufactures the Brick Wall is part of Zero Surge? I was told that in the past.

D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2010, 02:18 pm »
I guess Price Wheeler who manufactures the Brick Wall is part of Zero Surge? I was told that in the past.

D

According to Zero Surge they sell the technology to Brick Wall.

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2010, 08:43 pm »
I have to thank jtwrace for this 20% find. I ordered one myself, the audio version with isolated outlets, 8R15W-I. These are some of the best surge suppressors out there at any price. SurgeX sells the technology to Zero Surge, Brickwall, and Torus. They're all identical. They're all MOV free.

Nick77

« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2010, 09:03 pm »
No reviews yet?  :eyebrows:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2010, 12:43 am »
No reviews yet?  :eyebrows:

Mine arrives on Monday. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2010, 01:02 am »
I have to thank jtwrace for this 20% find.

You're welcome!   :thumb:

I ordered one myself, the audio version with isolated outlets, 8R15W-I. These are some of the best surge suppressors out there at any price.
I hope you're right!  The fact that you and many others say the same thing, is a good thing.

SurgeX sells the technology to Zero Surge, Brickwall, and Torus. They're all identical. They're all MOV free.

As I previously stated, Donna who you spoke to when you ordered your unit, says that they purchase the technology from them (Zero Surge).  You should call her back and speak with her as she can tell you all about the deal.