Tube Power With VR4-SRs

mfsoa

Re: Tube Power With VR4-SRs
« Reply #20 on: 8 May 2010, 02:17 am »
I have committed audiophile heresy and actually sold a VAC tube amp and went with a model from the Digital Amp Co (as per Satfrat's comments above) line.

If I listened to only classical or small group-type things the tubes would have been fine (except for the heat!). I'm certainly not the type of listener who cares too much about specs and I don't seek ultra-detailed sound, far from it, but with the control I get w/ the DAC Cherry JR (on VR4JR MKIs  - hmmm, must be the "JR" designation I like) there is so much more information coming through the speakers - I especially notice it in the mid-bass region, where the Class D amp is just so much more detailed that the tubes were. And low bass? No comparison.

-Mike

fplanner2000

« Reply #21 on: 9 May 2010, 04:49 pm »
As many here know, I also have VAC amps driving my VR-7se's, which I would presume are much tougher to drive well than the Sr's.  There is definite synergy between VAC and VSA, but you need to make sure you have ENOUGH tube power to drive your VSA speakers well. 

I used to use 1 300.1 and got nice sound (even Albert liked it!), but when I added a second 300.1 and monoblocked them, it was a total game-changer.  Pretty much everything Mike describes above from his Class D amp, plus the magic of tubes and arguably the best midrange around, which VAC is famous for.  Even more surprising was the total control of the fast, tight bass.

There's a good chance that if Mike had gotten a 2nd VAC amp into his system, he might still have both.  I guess my point here is that adding the 2nd amp did a lot more than just "double" the power - my system really came alive.

mikel51

« Reply #22 on: 9 May 2010, 08:05 pm »
What have you paired with the Modwright? Thanks.  :D
Cheers,
Robin

I am running a modwright (tube output) transporter and BAT VK31SE preamp to drive the modwright KWA150 SS power amp and VR5 Anniversaries

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #23 on: 9 May 2010, 08:39 pm »
Mike,

How about posting your system pix?

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #24 on: 1 Jun 2010, 05:24 am »
Mike,

How about posting your system pix?

Hmmm... It wasn't clear which mike you were requesting pix from, but I knew where to find some of mfsoa's system so...

More pictures!

mfsoa's Main System

mfsoa's gears!  Nice Krell SACD.=

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #25 on: 1 Jun 2010, 12:58 pm »
mikel51....system pix??

jtsnead

« Reply #26 on: 1 Jun 2010, 02:40 pm »
Rogue Audio Mono Blocks

Where do you live I have a Stereo 90 Magnum I could bring over,
I am in MD

JackD201

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jun 2010, 05:18 pm »

95DB is close to peak. . .normal levels are low to mid 80s.  The room has 8' ceilings and is pretty much a rectangle with the entry at right rear. 

Speakers will be (haven't even settled on VSAs yet but am leaning that way) on the short wall, and since this is a dedicated room I can sit wherever I need to. 

I'm interested in trying tubes with whatever I purchase, so I don't want something that's completely tube unfriendly or that requires a fortune in amplification to reach its potential.

:D

Our rooms are almost identical in size and shape, except I set up along the long wall.

The 90wpc Lamm ML1.1s were more than enough.

In this room I'd say the SR Mk2s and Mk3s reached their full potential especially in clarity, focus, timbre, spatial presentation and especially tone. Problem is the Lamms do cost a small fortune  :icon_lol: