And the Grammy Winners are....

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« on: 9 Feb 2004, 06:21 am »
List of the Grammy Winners >> http://grammy.com/awards/grammy/46winners.aspx#top (Didn't learn much from the show). :?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2004, 06:57 am »
Cripes, I only made it 1/3 way down the list- how many friggin' Grammy's do they hand out?  Do they make sure everyone gets one?

Of course Evanescance & the White Stripes get Grammy's.  Typical of the crap this year.

Thump553

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2004, 01:06 pm »
I am officially out of touch (Grammy type music, anyway)-I made it down to category 37 before I ran across a song I had even heard.

EDIT:  Warren Zevon-best folk album?? The Grammy effect strikes again.  I bet he's spinning in grave.

rosconey

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2004, 01:14 pm »
did any real musicans show up on the list or just pretty people :o

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2004, 01:57 pm »
Well, Jeff Beck won a Grammy...you could call it a "make up Grammy," but his new one, Jeff, is a pretty badass CD.

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2004, 02:01 pm »
I guess it depends on what you'd call 'real musicians' but, there were some very musical people on the show.  I enjoyed seeing Earth Wind and Fire.. George Clinton and Outkast.  That was pretty cool.  Beyonce Knowles had a really cool production with the framed-thing.

I was kind of annoyed that Devon won.  That song/album is his worst.  Plus, the big memorial for him was a bit much.  I was sad to see him go but, geez... you'd think Elvis had died.  

I'm sure there was some more good talent on the show but I missed a lot at the beginning.  Also, keep in mind this is only for popular music.  It appears to me whoever nominates people is looking at which artists correspond with the highest ad sales for radio in the US.  It's not like they're scouring the planet for new music.  However, in this process, some good people do surface.  Outkast being a good example.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2004, 08:27 am »
Quote from: Thump553

EDIT:  Warren Zevon-best folk album?? The Grammy effect strikes again.  I bet he's spinning in grave.
I seem to recall his "big Folk Hit" song........"Werewolves of London".....peace... :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2004, 08:39 am »
Who the hell is Outkast?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2004, 08:47 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Who the hell is Outkast?
Here you go Rob ... http://www.outkast.com/  ...(careful explicit lyrics). :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2004, 08:56 am »
So I can see by their homepage that they're a small chamber music ensemble. :wink:   I gather it's rap of some type?  At this moment I don't have any speakers connected to the PC (I'm busy with a little update- installing some new stuff...).

I can't say there's ever been a rap or hippop group I could stomach.  Tyson tried once to 'enlighten' me about the virtues of M&M, but I guess I just ain't "down wit it." :lol:

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2004, 11:41 am »
Quote from: Carlman
I guess it depends on what you'd call 'real musicians' but, there were some very musical people on the show.  I enjoyed seeing Earth Wind and Fire.. George Clinton and Outkast.  That was pretty cool.  

I watched sporadically while doing something else, but thought the opening with Prince/ Beyonce was good, The White Stripes were great, and Sarah McLachlan's performance was worth seeing.

The Earth, Wind/Clinton/Outkast isn't my taste in music (just like White Stripes won't appeal to everyone), but it was worth watching.

IanVan

Some good music in there:
« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2004, 04:36 am »
Buddy Guy - Blues Singer

Blind Boys of Alabama - Go tell it on the Mountain

Michel Camilo - Live At The Blue Note

I like the Warren Zevon record.

Scorsese's 'Best of the Blues' is a very good compilation.

I haven't heard the Dave Matthews record - 'Gravedigger'. Is it any good?

What kind of music are 'The White Stripes'?

I would like to hear Café Tacuba - 'Cuatro Caminos'.

What about great records last year from the Handsome Family, Emmylou Harris and Gillian Welch? How about Fiery Furnaces as best new garage band?