V3 new or upgrade

maligue

V3 new or upgrade
« on: 3 May 2010, 10:16 am »
I would be grateful to learn whether the purchase of new V3 Ref 9 SEs will better the upgrade path from V2 Ref 9 SEs. Does an entirely new V3 involve changes to circuitry other than the main board and bring added sonic benefits?

Much obliged for knowledgeable views and recommendations

ems

ramossp

Re: V3 new or upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2010, 05:41 pm »
Bump, would be interested to know as well...

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2010, 06:47 pm »
Friends,

The upgrade from any previous version of our amplifiers to the new V3 version of that model incurs the exact same level of improved performance as if you had purchased a new unit from the factory.  All circuits are repaced with the same circuits found in a brand neew unit.  Included in the upgrade is even a new faceplate with the "V3" insignia as well as a new serial number sticker.  You can read about the upgrade process here:
http://www.nuforce.com/hi/upgrade.html

...and the cost of the upgrades here:
http://www.nuforce.com/hi/Nuforce-Hi-End-Upgrade-MSRP-Price.pdf

Essentially, all that is being re-used is the metal chasis and the input/output connectors - and those have not been changed in the new production V3 units either.  So, from a performace standpoint, an upgraded unit is identical to a new production unit in every way.  That's why a new face plate and serial number is included.  An upgrade is essentially the same as purchasing a new production model.

Please take note... there is one exception.  An IA-7 upgrade does not include the change of the face plate.

Thanks!
-Bob

ramossp

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2010, 07:08 pm »
Bob,

Thanks for the reply.  Does this apply to the Ref8 upgrade to V3 as well?  The chassis for the Ref8 is considerably smaller than the 9 series, is there a Ref8 specific build or will it be a full Ref 9 in a smaller chassis?

Thanks again for the clarification.  I'm about to send in my Ref8B to upgrade to V3 and would like to get an idea of how they might differ from the Ref9V3...

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2010, 07:55 pm »
ramossp,

A Ref-8 can only be upgraded to a Ref 8V3  - not a Ref-9.  As you noted, the chassis are different.  If we could have transformed a Ref-8 into a Ref-9, there would be no need for the larger Ref-9 chassis.

-Bob

ramossp

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2010, 09:37 pm »
Bob,

Thanks again for the info and sorry to keep bugging you on this.  Would it be possible to explain the difference between a Ref8V3 and a Ref9V3.  Is it power supply, is the board itself different, and what are the effects (lower overall output 4/8ohms? reduced dynamics?).

How close to the Ref9V3 would a Ref8V3 be, would the only general difference be in total output power or is it an entirely different amplification stage.

Thanks again! 

mcullinan

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2010, 09:45 pm »
I had the 9SEv3s and sold them. The V2s were much better than their replacement. Just an opinion of course.
GL@
M

Caar

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2010, 10:23 pm »
I upgraded from Ref9SE V2 to V3.
IMO V3 is better than V2, specially in the highs and depth.
Again, that's just my opinion.
Cheers.

mcullinan

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2010, 11:17 pm »
Actually they did have a larger SS, but the highs became way too polite and made the music a bit dull. Just my opinion of course.
M

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2010, 12:42 am »
Actually they did have a larger SS, but the highs became way too polite and made the music a bit dull. Just my opinion of course.
M

V3 is more balanced, but we can made the adjustment for you on the V3 by changing the zobel filter.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2010, 12:45 am »
I would be grateful to learn whether the purchase of new V3 Ref 9 SEs will better the upgrade path from V2 Ref 9 SEs. Does an entirely new V3 involve changes to circuitry other than the main board and bring added sonic benefits?

Much obliged for knowledgeable views and recommendations

ems

The power supply remains the same. Entire amp board will be replaced.  Like Bob has stated, you won't find any performance difference between new V3 and upgraded V3.

maligue

« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2010, 07:45 am »
Thanks ... I am going ahead with the upgrade and await, with baited breathe, to experience sonic acousmatic heaven!

Edward