Merlin VSM Comparison

jzexport

Re: Merlin VSM Comparison
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2010, 01:53 pm »
Well, no one else seems to be jumping in, so I'll report what little I know.  I've heard the Merlins a couple of times at RMAF.  I actually didn't think they were all that different from 2-way salks.  I think the Merlin gets the most possible out of those drivers, and they're excellent drivers.  The Scan 8545 is hard to beat in the bass extension and power handling department. although I do think it (the 8545) trades off a little midrange transparency and detail in the process, and I'm certainly not alone in that opinion.  The super expensive Dynaudio tweeter is considered by many to be the best dome out there period.  They are crossed at around 2200 Hz, and that's where I usually cross depending on which tweeter I'm using.  So I think the differences between the "Merlin Sound" and the "Salk Sound" is more a matter of the inherent characteristics of the drivers than anything else.  The W18 vs the 8545, ribbons vs. a dome, or the little Hiquphon 0W series vs. the larger Dynaudio (broader dispersion with the former, probably superior low-end distortion with the latter).

Now we are getting somewhere. This supports my original supposition that there is a similarity, especially to the 2-way Salk designs.

Dennis, ever try an Esotar in the Salks?

However, mcullinan and DaveC133 think there are large differences, without going into detail. Elaboration, guys?

fsimms thinks the Merlins are more like the open-baffle Archos. ??

A big difference seems to be whether people like a ribbon or a dome tweeter. However, with the Salk, you can have it either way.

Of course, it will come down to my having to hear the Salks for myself.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2010, 02:27 pm »

Of course, it will come down to my having to hear the Salks for myself.

Bingo.  :D :thumb:

Anand.

fsimms

« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2010, 02:43 pm »
fsimms thinks the Merlins are more like the open-baffle Archos. ??

I just think the PHL midrange is more comparable to the Merlin's midrange.  Both the  Pharo's and the Archo's have that midrange.   I was blown away with the midrange of the Archo's.  I don't think the open baffle was responsable but it sure didn't hurt.  The midrange of the Merlin's, on the songs I heard, were "only" just very nice.  The Pharo's that I heard were limited by the very small room that they were in so I didn't get the monster hit I got from the Archo's.

Bob

jzexport

« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2010, 02:55 pm »
I just think the PHL midrange is more comparable to the Merlin's midrange.  Both the  Pharo's and the Archo's have that midrange.   I was blown away with the midrange of the Archo's.  I don't think the open baffle was responsable but it sure didn't hurt.  The midrange of the Merlin's, on the songs I heard, were "only" just very nice.  The Pharo's that I heard were limited by the very small room that they were in so I didn't get the monster hit I got from the Archo's.

Bob

Thanks for elaborating.

If your system listing is up-to-date, I see you have the HT-1s. What sold you on those?

fsimms

« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2010, 03:39 pm »
If your system listing is up-to-date, I see you have the HT-1s. What sold you on those?

I have had them for over 6 years.  I was interested in the Ellis 1802’s and liked the shape of the HT1’s.  They had the same midrange and a Dennis Murphy crossover.   At the time Jim had a demo speaker that he was shipping around and I got on the list to hear them.  They were incredible so I order a pair for myself.  They still have “Magic” almost every time I listen to music.   Usually I am surprised at how good they sound each time I play music on them.  If I had to describe that magic then I would say that they are clear, transparent, and exciting. 

I have an electronic crossover to a good sub.  I would like to have a 3 way speaker so I wouldn’t need to use a sub and still have killer bass.   I went to listen to Jim’s new SS10’s and put in an order.  They have magic too but I will have to see if they have magic as good as my HT1’s when I get them in my room with my system.  I think they will but am, of course, not sure.   After I get my SS10’s I will be able to try tube preamps.  I think, with tubes, I might get closer to the magic I heard from the Archo’s and not lose what I have from the HT1’s.   

jzexport

« Reply #25 on: 12 May 2010, 04:58 pm »
I have had them for over 6 years.  I was interested in the Ellis 1802’s and liked the shape of the HT1’s.  They had the same midrange and a Dennis Murphy crossover.   At the time Jim had a demo speaker that he was shipping around and I got on the list to hear them.  They were incredible so I order a pair for myself.  They still have “Magic” almost every time I listen to music.   Usually I am surprised at how good they sound each time I play music on them.  If I had to describe that magic then I would say that they are clear, transparent, and exciting. 

I have an electronic crossover to a good sub.  I would like to have a 3 way speaker so I wouldn’t need to use a sub and still have killer bass.   I went to listen to Jim’s new SS10’s and put in an order.  They have magic too but I will have to see if they have magic as good as my HT1’s when I get them in my room with my system.  I think they will but am, of course, not sure.   After I get my SS10’s I will be able to try tube preamps.  I think, with tubes, I might get closer to the magic I heard from the Archo’s and not lose what I have from the HT1’s.

Looking forward to hearing your reaction to the SS10s. Probably no where near as much as your looking forward to really hearing them for real:lol:.

Especially the difference between your HT-1/sub setup and the full range SS10. Is there any crazy LFE content in movies under 20 Hz?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #26 on: 12 May 2010, 07:17 pm »
Dennis, ever try an Esotar in the Salks?

Hi   No.  The thought had never occurred to me becauise the Dynaudio drivers have been out of sight-out-of mind since they stopped selling to amateurs like me.  I have used the cheaper "Esotec" version, and they weren't terribly linear.  http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=gem_mod.html    But I'm sure the Esotar is in another league.  If Jim ever gets a request for a top-of-the-line speaker with a dome instead of a ribbon, but they be worth a try. 

jzexport

« Reply #27 on: 12 May 2010, 10:45 pm »

Dennis:

I think your post went MIA.

Josh

mcullinan

« Reply #28 on: 12 May 2010, 11:22 pm »
The only way to tell how close they are in sound would be to hear them in my room. I dont really have a problem with the SuperBam, my system never clipped or overloaded. Besides the boost the Super Duper Bam cuts off the sound lower than 30Hz or 27.. something like that.

The HT3s I heard were in a room that was too small for them and had no rugs, sound soaking devices. lol. There was a nice clarity to the HT3s, midrange was very detailed. Perhaps the Merlins are a tad laid back, very organic & natural. Even the cabinet speaks the music. Sounds weird I know, but it seems the cabinet enhances the sound. An example of a box that hinders the sound would be something like the Tannoys. Great concentric speaker, coherent sound, but you can hear the box in a bad way. Salks are one of the most beautiful speakers Ive ever seen, hands down. I  love wood.. hehe, and theyve got em. The HT3s were too much up top for me. Perhaps a tad less in the musical dept. but that might have also been the bass bomb that was going on covering up all the mid action, idk. Songtowers are nice, not nearly as detailed as the Merlins and though Id say the Merlins could have more lower mid detail, the Songtowers had less, and had the transmission line sound when it came to the bass, which isnt as realistic as say the HT3s bass.
Though theres a big price difference. I havent heard any 2 way non transmission line salks yet. Maybe soon.
Love my Merlins!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #29 on: 12 May 2010, 11:50 pm »
Not a great day.  I flew to Grinnell Iowa to give a lecture at the excellent college that bears its name, and had my flight out of Des Moines cancelled because of weather.  So I'm in a hotel without any food and I'll have to be up at 5:00 to make a flight to Denver, and then Washington,D.C.  That's the best United could do for me--and they had to book me on Delta.  You may never hear from me again.  Please hold the applause.   Don't know what happened to my post from Grinnell, but it wasn't any more interesting than this one.

Nuance

« Reply #30 on: 13 May 2010, 10:35 pm »
Sorry to hear, Dennis.  You've had no luck with flying lately.  What is the deal?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #31 on: 13 May 2010, 11:06 pm »
Note to self: don't travel with Dennis.  Just "meet" him there.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #32 on: 13 May 2010, 11:33 pm »
Note to self: don't travel with Dennis.  Just "meet" him there.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaack.  Delta did get me to D.C. when United couldn't, so I'm thankful for that.  But their latest cost-saving ploy is to claim they can't bring the drink-peanut cart down the Isle because of turbulence.  Of course, the captain told us at the get go that he was turning the seat belt sign off because there was nothing but smooth sailing predicted for the entire flight.  Smoothest flight I've ever taken.  Please send food donations to Denny Murphy, Wehawken Rd., Bethesda MD.